www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Damn - again!

reply Steve Teale <steve.teale britseyeview.com> writes:
I use the Pan newsreader. In the mornings when I'm looking at 
digitalmars.D I regularly make the mistake of editing the panel that 
displays the individual posts.

I'll mark some of the older text and hit delete. At that point you are 
hosed. The article disappears, and there's no obvious way to get it back.

Any recommendations for a different reader?

Steve
Nov 08 2011
next sibling parent "Vladimir Panteleev" <vladimir thecybershadow.net> writes:
On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 07:25:55 +0200, Steve Teale  
<steve.teale britseyeview.com> wrote:

 I use the Pan newsreader. In the mornings when I'm looking at
 digitalmars.D I regularly make the mistake of editing the panel that
 displays the individual posts.

 I'll mark some of the older text and hit delete. At that point you are
 hosed. The article disappears, and there's no obvious way to get it back.

 Any recommendations for a different reader?

The Opera web browser has a nice newsreader. (Deleted items are sent to the trash, from where you can restore them.) I think Thunderbird is decent as well, but I've never used it. For the future, consider prefixing D-unrelated posts with [OT] per newsgroup netiquette. -- Best regards, Vladimir mailto:vladimir thecybershadow.net
Nov 08 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg gmx.com> writes:
On Wednesday, November 09, 2011 05:25:55 Steve Teale wrote:
 I use the Pan newsreader. In the mornings when I'm looking at
 digitalmars.D I regularly make the mistake of editing the panel that
 displays the individual posts.
 
 I'll mark some of the older text and hit delete. At that point you are
 hosed. The article disappears, and there's no obvious way to get it back.
 
 Any recommendations for a different reader?

IPersonally, I sign up for the mailing list and use that instead of the newsgroup. That way, I can use my e-mail client to read everything, and the state is synced between machines (since I use IMAP). - Jonathan M Davis
Nov 09 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Gor Gyolchanyan <gor.f.gyolchanyan gmail.com> writes:
I've signed up for puremagic.D using my gmail acoount and i made a
filder in gmail to add the "D" tag on emails, that come from
puremagic.D.
The discussion threads are stored as conversations (a neat feature of
gmail) and are tagged with a red "D" label, making them very easy to
work with.

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg gmx.com> wrote:
 On Wednesday, November 09, 2011 05:25:55 Steve Teale wrote:
 I use the Pan newsreader. In the mornings when I'm looking at
 digitalmars.D I regularly make the mistake of editing the panel that
 displays the individual posts.

 I'll mark some of the older text and hit delete. At that point you are
 hosed. The article disappears, and there's no obvious way to get it back.

 Any recommendations for a different reader?

IPersonally, I sign up for the mailing list and use that instead of the newsgroup. That way, I can use my e-mail client to read everything, and the state is synced between machines (since I use IMAP). - Jonathan M Davis

Nov 09 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Manu <turkeyman gmail.com> writes:
--00163646dc2ea8e03404b14b60b9
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

On 9 November 2011 12:47, Gor Gyolchanyan <gor.f.gyolchanyan gmail.com>wrote:

 I've signed up for puremagic.D using my gmail acoount and i made a
 filder in gmail to add the "D" tag on emails, that come from
 puremagic.D.
 The discussion threads are stored as conversations (a neat feature of
 gmail) and are tagged with a red "D" label, making them very easy to
 work with.

Ditto.. win! --00163646dc2ea8e03404b14b60b9 Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <div class=3D"gmail_quote">On 9 November 2011 12:47, Gor Gyolchanyan <span = dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:gor.f.gyolchanyan gmail.com">gor.f.gyolch= anyan gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" = style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"> I&#39;ve signed up for puremagic.D using my gmail acoount and i made a<br> filder in gmail to add the &quot;D&quot; tag on emails, that come from<br> puremagic.D.<br> The discussion threads are stored as conversations (a neat feature of<br> gmail) and are tagged with a red &quot;D&quot; label, making them very easy= to<br> work with.</blockquote><div><br></div>Ditto.. win!</div> --00163646dc2ea8e03404b14b60b9--
Nov 09 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg gmx.com> writes:
On Wednesday, November 09, 2011 14:47:47 Gor Gyolchanyan wrote:
 I've signed up for puremagic.D using my gmail acoount and i made a
 filder in gmail to add the "D" tag on emails, that come from
 puremagic.D.
 The discussion threads are stored as conversations (a neat feature of
 gmail) and are tagged with a red "D" label, making them very easy to
 work with.

Though gmail has a nasty habit of not sending your own messages to you (the ones that you send to the list), so it tends to screw up the threading. And since gmail's threads are linear, they don't handle the mesage hierarchy very well. I've always used a client on my machine which _is_ able to handle all of the threading correctly (or at least far better than gmail). And while I used to use gmail for the e-mail address (even if I didn't use it for reading any e-mail), I stopped due to issues like it not sending my own e-mails to me. I switched to gmx.com, which isn't quite a stable, but feature-wise it's much better IMHO. Regardless, having an IMAP account and using the mailing list can work quite well - especially if you're trying to access the newsgroup on multiple computers and therefore have to worry about syncing between them. - Jonathan M Davis
Nov 09 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Dejan Lekic <dejan.lekic gmail.com> writes:
Steve Teale wrote:

 
 Any recommendations for a different reader?
 
 Steve

Steve, a good alternative is what I use at the moment - KNode. Thunderbird is also a good choice for a newsgroups reader. I think Pan is okay as well.
Nov 09 2011
parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2011-11-09 12:39, Dejan Lekic wrote:
 Steve Teale wrote:

 Any recommendations for a different reader?

 Steve

Steve, a good alternative is what I use at the moment - KNode. Thunderbird is also a good choice for a newsgroups reader. I think Pan is okay as well.

I'm using Thunderbird. I've symlinked the News directory to dropbox to have it automatically synced. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Nov 09 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Trass3r <un known.com> writes:
 Any recommendations for a different reader?

Opera :)
Nov 09 2011
parent "Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy yahoo.com> writes:
On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 08:02:21 -0500, Trass3r <un known.com> wrote:

 Any recommendations for a different reader?

Opera :)

I use opera too. And it has been somewhat valuable for finding old posts. I set opera to download all headers, and now I have instant search through headers and messages I've viewed. Makes it easy to find bugs and old messages. -Steve
Nov 09 2011
prev sibling parent Justin Whear <justin economicmodeling.com> writes:
KNode.


Steve Teale wrote:

 I use the Pan newsreader. In the mornings when I'm looking at
 digitalmars.D I regularly make the mistake of editing the panel that
 displays the individual posts.
 
 I'll mark some of the older text and hit delete. At that point you are
 hosed. The article disappears, and there's no obvious way to get it back.
 
 Any recommendations for a different reader?
 
 Steve

Nov 09 2011