www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - D's gui controls need a cool control for DataBase Programming

reply "FrankLike" <1150015857 qq.com> writes:
Now,D is very cool for System Programming,but it's not cool for
Database Programming. It needs some controls such as
Calendar,DataTimePicker, DataGrid,DataView etc. DataGrid can
display a lot of data ,such as Chinese chars ,and filter
them,DataGrid's 'Data Source' maybe the DataView,DataView is not
be visible,and it can save a lot of data,and filter them.Now,only
DWT can work,but it's not easy to use.So D need some cool control
do it,DGui,DFL...,who can do that better ?

Frank
Jun 03 2014
next sibling parent Rikki Cattermole <alphaglosined gmail.com> writes:
On 3/06/2014 9:11 p.m., FrankLike wrote:
 Now,D is very cool for System Programming,but it's not cool for
 Database Programming. It needs some controls such as
 Calendar,DataTimePicker, DataGrid,DataView etc. DataGrid can
 display a lot of data ,such as Chinese chars ,and filter
 them,DataGrid's 'Data Source' maybe the DataView,DataView is not
 be visible,and it can save a lot of data,and filter them.Now,only
 DWT can work,but it's not easy to use.So D need some cool control
 do it,DGui,DFL...,who can do that better ?

 Frank

If somebody was to design (fully) how a set of controls for D would look and act like I may have a go at building an OpenGL based GUI toolkit. It was part of why I gave up on DOOGLE. Don't have that skill set. When I say design gui controls I mean, everything from buttons to list boxes. And every single pixel, color the lot.
Jun 03 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Dejan Lekic" <dejan.lekic gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 3 June 2014 at 09:11:59 UTC, FrankLike wrote:
 Now,D is very cool for System Programming,but it's not cool for
 Database Programming. It needs some controls such as
 Calendar,DataTimePicker, DataGrid,DataView etc. DataGrid can
 display a lot of data ,such as Chinese chars ,and filter
 them,DataGrid's 'Data Source' maybe the DataView,DataView is not
 be visible,and it can save a lot of data,and filter 
 them.Now,only
 DWT can work,but it's not easy to use.So D need some cool 
 control
 do it,DGui,DFL...,who can do that better ?

 Frank

There are at least 10 GUI toolkits for D, some are more advanced and have all the controls you listed above, some are more oriented towards gaming. I suggest you take a look at DWT, it has all you need and more.
Jun 03 2014
parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2014-06-03 17:08, FrankLike wrote:

 Can you recommend a good IDE For DWT?
 Thank you! If it's ok,I will use the DWT to work.

There's no GUI builder for DWT, if that's what you're looking for. But there is a plugin for Eclipse called WindowBuilder [1]. That will output Java code for SWT (which DWT is a port of). [1] http://www.eclipse.org/windowbuilder/ -- /Jacob Carlborg
Jun 03 2014
next sibling parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 04/06/14 04:02, FrankLike wrote:

 Will add it to VisualD? If do it,very cool.
 Thank you.

No, will not happen. It's too much integrated with Eclipse. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Jun 03 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 04/06/14 04:09, FrankLike wrote:
 Several years ago,there was a simple IDE ,that named 'Entice',it could
 do for DFL and DWT.Will you want to continue it?

I don't know. As far as I can remember that only worked on Windows. I do have long term plans to create a GUI builder for DWT, sometime in the future. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Jun 03 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Bruno Medeiros <bruno.do.medeiros+dng gmail.com> writes:
On 03/06/2014 17:00, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 There's no GUI builder for DWT, if that's what you're looking for. But
 there is a plugin for Eclipse called WindowBuilder [1]. That will output
 Java code for SWT (which DWT is a port of).

 [1] http://www.eclipse.org/windowbuilder/

Personally, I think GUI builders are likely a bit overrated nowadays. I do a lot of work with SWT, and I am a big fan of rich IDE toolchains, but I never felt much compelled to use an SWT GUI builder. They are good for beginners, which can get started easily, but, at least for SWT specifically, once you become fairly knowledgeable about it, its easy to create UI controls programmatically. If one is using more complex grid layouts, it can be trickier to get things right at first when just doing it programmatically, but I don't think the productivity difference is that significant. I think the key thing here is that GUI builders became less important when the internet became so massively popular. In the early VisualStudio/VB days, the GUI builder was very helpful since it would allow one to get started building some controls easily, whereas if you had to do all programmatically, and look up the API for that, it could be tricky to find a way to do what you wanted. But nowadays its easy to search the internet for examples, snippets, etc.. SWT in particular has loads of those. -- Bruno Medeiros https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros
Jun 04 2014
parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2014-06-04 13:55, Bruno Medeiros wrote:

 Personally, I think GUI builders are likely a bit overrated nowadays. I
 do a lot of work with SWT, and I am a big fan of rich IDE toolchains,
 but I never felt much compelled to use an SWT GUI builder.

I think Xcode/Interface Builder is very good. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Jun 04 2014
prev sibling parent Bruno Medeiros <bruno.do.medeiros+dng gmail.com> writes:
On 04/06/2014 03:25, ed wrote:
 You may also like to check out DDT if you're thinking of working with DWT.

 https://github.com/bruno-medeiros/DDT/

 note: I have not tried DWT or DDT before. I have used WindowBuilder for
 commercial Java apps (Swing and SWT) and found it very quick and easy to
 get a GUI.

DDT happens to use SWT internally, but for a user perspective, DDT offers no functionality that is specific to DWT (such as a GUI builder). Nonetheless, do try DDT. :) -- Bruno Medeiros https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros
Jun 04 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent "FrankLike" <1150015857 qq.com> writes:
 them.Now,only
 DWT can work,but it's not easy to use.So D need some cool


 There are at least 10 GUI toolkits for D, some are more

 I suggest you take a look at DWT, it has all you need and more.

If you have been used DFL OR DGui,you will think them easy to use than DWT, though DWT have the all functions for work.C#'s Controls are very easy to use than DWT,but I like D,and hope the D have a lot of controls that are better than C#! Thank you.
Jun 03 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent "FrankLike" <1150015857 qq.com> writes:
 I suggest you take a look at DWT, it has all you need and more.

Can you recommend a good IDE For DWT? Thank you! If it's ok,I will use the DWT to work. Thank you.
Jun 03 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent "FrankLike" <1150015857 qq.com> writes:
 There's no GUI builder for DWT, if that's what you're looking 
 for. But there is a plugin for Eclipse called WindowBuilder 
 [1]. That will output Java code for SWT (which DWT is a port 
 of).

 [1] http://www.eclipse.org/windowbuilder/

Will add it to VisualD? If do it,very cool. Thank you.
Jun 03 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent "FrankLike" <1150015857 qq.com> writes:
 There's no GUI builder for DWT, if that's what you're looking


Several years ago,there was a simple IDE ,that named 'Entice',it could do for DFL and DWT.Will you want to continue it? Thank you.
Jun 03 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent "FrankLike" <1150015857 qq.com> writes:
 If somebody was to design (fully) how a set of controls for D 
 would look and act like I may have a go at building an OpenGL 
 based GUI toolkit. It was part of why I gave up on DOOGLE.

OpenGL? A good idea.But will have a large Memory Usage.
Jun 03 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent "ed" <gmail gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 4 June 2014 at 02:02:38 UTC, FrankLike wrote:
 There's no GUI builder for DWT, if that's what you're looking 
 for. But there is a plugin for Eclipse called WindowBuilder 
 [1]. That will output Java code for SWT (which DWT is a port 
 of).

 [1] http://www.eclipse.org/windowbuilder/

Will add it to VisualD? If do it,very cool. Thank you.

This will not happen. There is nothing stopping you from using VisualD and WindowBuilder side-by-side. You may also like to check out DDT if you're thinking of working with DWT. https://github.com/bruno-medeiros/DDT/ note: I have not tried DWT or DDT before. I have used WindowBuilder for commercial Java apps (Swing and SWT) and found it very quick and easy to get a GUI. Cheers, ed
Jun 03 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent "ed" <gmail gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 4 June 2014 at 02:25:29 UTC, ed wrote:
 On Wednesday, 4 June 2014 at 02:02:38 UTC, FrankLike wrote:
 There's no GUI builder for DWT, if that's what you're looking 
 for. But there is a plugin for Eclipse called WindowBuilder 
 [1]. That will output Java code for SWT (which DWT is a port 
 of).

 [1] http://www.eclipse.org/windowbuilder/

Will add it to VisualD? If do it,very cool. Thank you.

This will not happen. There is nothing stopping you from using VisualD and WindowBuilder side-by-side. You may also like to check out DDT if you're thinking of working with DWT. https://github.com/bruno-medeiros/DDT/ note: I have not tried DWT or DDT before. I have used WindowBuilder for commercial Java apps (Swing and SWT) and found it very quick and easy to get a GUI. Cheers, ed

Sorry, this is a better DDT link: https://code.google.com/p/ddt/
Jun 03 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent "Vadim Lopatin" <coolreader.org gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 3 June 2014 at 09:31:26 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
 On 3/06/2014 9:11 p.m., FrankLike wrote:
 Now,D is very cool for System Programming,but it's not cool for
 Database Programming. It needs some controls such as
 Calendar,DataTimePicker, DataGrid,DataView etc. DataGrid can
 display a lot of data ,such as Chinese chars ,and filter
 them,DataGrid's 'Data Source' maybe the DataView,DataView is 
 not
 be visible,and it can save a lot of data,and filter 
 them.Now,only
 DWT can work,but it's not easy to use.So D need some cool 
 control
 do it,DGui,DFL...,who can do that better ?

 Frank

If somebody was to design (fully) how a set of controls for D would look and act like I may have a go at building an OpenGL based GUI toolkit. It was part of why I gave up on DOOGLE. Don't have that skill set. When I say design gui controls I mean, everything from buttons to list boxes. And every single pixel, color the lot.

OpenGL based toolkit - see my project https://github.com/buggins/dlangui DB access (like JDBC or ODBC) - https://github.com/buggins/ddbc ORM (like Hibernate) - https://github.com/buggins/hibernated dlangui development is in progress. No Db controls yet, only in plans.
Jun 03 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent "FrankLike" <1150015857 qq.com> writes:
 I don't know. As far as I can remember that only worked on 
 Windows. I do have long term plans to create a GUI builder for 
 DWT, sometime in the future.

Hope the DWT is easy to use as DFL ,DGui. Thank you.
Jun 04 2014
prev sibling parent "FrankLike" <1150015857 qq.com> writes:
 I don't know. As far as I can remember that only worked on 
 Windows. I do have long term plans to create a GUI builder for 
 DWT, sometime in the future.

How to use the dwt on eclipse? search a plug-in 'dwt' ? Thank you.
Jun 04 2014