www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - D on internetnews.com

reply kenny <funisher gmail.com> writes:
http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3652176

standard article. Interesting thought at the end.
Jan 08 2007
parent reply Daniel Keep <daniel.keep+lists gmail.com> writes:
kenny wrote:
 http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3652176
 
 standard article. Interesting thought at the end.

Re: the thought at the end. What was the business model behind Python or Ruby? -- Daniel
Jan 08 2007
parent reply kenny <funisher gmail.com> writes:
lol, I dunno. I don't think there is one. Perhaps he was referring to 
the idea that google uses python extensively and ruby has rails.

Those aren't business models though. IMO D will start to gain publicity 
soon as soon as mainstream apps and companies start to use D for 
development.

I'm sure I'm not the only person pushing my company's development to 
switch to D. As more companies adopt D as a development platform, it 
will become "normal" to use D. In the future I will also open source our 
software. Again, I'm sure that others will do this too. These sorts of 
steps are huge for the "success" of D as a language.

---------------

One of mozilla's major successes is it's collaboration with google. 
Because of the sponsorship, mozilla now has enough resources to fund all 
kinds of development. Because D is not an application that will be 
difficult -- but if D can be used as an integral component to a revenue 
generating application, I think D will have a "business model" -- in the 
author's method of thinking.

Just thinking off of the top of my head, perhaps, if there was someone 
willing to maintain a patch to DMD that compiles the files into memory 
(writable,executable PE section), then DMD could be used by games for AI 
and general scripting. (compiled in real time) That'd be super cool -- 
like lua but better. If someone made that proposal to a game company, 
things could start generating revenue that way, or at least a larger 
exposure because of modders. I dunno.

Surely there has to be more ideas. I'll have to keep thinking.



Daniel Keep wrote:
 kenny wrote:
 http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3652176

 standard article. Interesting thought at the end.

Re: the thought at the end. What was the business model behind Python or Ruby? Perhaps -- Daniel

Jan 08 2007
parent Kyle Furlong <kylefurlong gmail.com> writes:
kenny wrote:
 lol, I dunno. I don't think there is one. Perhaps he was referring to 
 the idea that google uses python extensively and ruby has rails.
 
 Those aren't business models though. IMO D will start to gain publicity 
 soon as soon as mainstream apps and companies start to use D for 
 development.
 
 I'm sure I'm not the only person pushing my company's development to 
 switch to D. As more companies adopt D as a development platform, it 
 will become "normal" to use D. In the future I will also open source our 
 software. Again, I'm sure that others will do this too. These sorts of 
 steps are huge for the "success" of D as a language.
 
 ---------------
 
 One of mozilla's major successes is it's collaboration with google. 
 Because of the sponsorship, mozilla now has enough resources to fund all 
 kinds of development. Because D is not an application that will be 
 difficult -- but if D can be used as an integral component to a revenue 
 generating application, I think D will have a "business model" -- in the 
 author's method of thinking.
 
 Just thinking off of the top of my head, perhaps, if there was someone 
 willing to maintain a patch to DMD that compiles the files into memory 
 (writable,executable PE section), then DMD could be used by games for AI 
 and general scripting. (compiled in real time) That'd be super cool -- 
 like lua but better. If someone made that proposal to a game company, 
 things could start generating revenue that way, or at least a larger 
 exposure because of modders. I dunno.
 
 Surely there has to be more ideas. I'll have to keep thinking.
 
 
 
 Daniel Keep wrote:
 kenny wrote:
 http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3652176

 standard article. Interesting thought at the end.

Re: the thought at the end. What was the business model behind Python or Ruby? Perhaps -- Daniel


Now *there's* a codebase that could use a rewrite in D. (Mozilla)
Jan 08 2007