www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - D and Meson

reply Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
Using Meson for D projects is so wonderful. If SCons is to catch up a
lot of work is needed, and I am increasingly worrying it isn't worth
it. So much so that I am wondering if adding Dub package getting
support to Meson should be a higher priority that finishing adding it
to SCons. Of course this is only worth doing if Meson gets "all source
at once" builds or all D compilers spontaneously fix all versions so
that unit-threaded can work with "file at a time" builds.

If the person running the D support for Meson is on this list please
contact me privately to tell me what I can do to help progress that
support further.

--=20
Russel.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.winder ekiga.n=
et
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder
Jun 14
next sibling parent reply Atila Neves <atila.neves gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 at 15:25:55 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
 Using Meson for D projects is so wonderful. If SCons is to 
 catch up a lot of work is needed, and I am increasingly 
 worrying it isn't worth it. So much so that I am wondering if 
 adding Dub package getting support to Meson should be a higher 
 priority that finishing adding it to SCons. Of course this is 
 only worth doing if Meson gets "all source at once" builds or 
 all D compilers spontaneously fix all versions so that 
 unit-threaded can work with "file at a time" builds.
I'm working on that frontend bug. In any case, it should be per package, per file is slower. Although I'm also thinking about a tool that only runs one file's unit tests with the minimal amount of building necessary. Atila
Jun 14
parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 6/14/2017 9:16 AM, Atila Neves wrote:
 Although I'm also 
 thinking about a tool that only runs one file's unit tests with the minimal 
 amount of building necessary.
When I want to run unittests on one module in Phobos, I write: dmd -unittest -main -run std/path
Jun 19
next sibling parent Vladimir Panteleev <thecybershadow.lists gmail.com> writes:
On Monday, 19 June 2017 at 10:32:38 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 6/14/2017 9:16 AM, Atila Neves wrote:
 Although I'm also thinking about a tool that only runs one 
 file's unit tests with the minimal amount of building 
 necessary.
When I want to run unittests on one module in Phobos, I write: dmd -unittest -main -run std/path
That only works for Phobos, though, because the rest of the code is in libphobos which is linked in by default.
Jun 19
prev sibling parent Atila Neves <atila.neves gmail.com> writes:
On Monday, 19 June 2017 at 10:32:38 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 6/14/2017 9:16 AM, Atila Neves wrote:
 Although I'm also thinking about a tool that only runs one 
 file's unit tests with the minimal amount of building 
 necessary.
When I want to run unittests on one module in Phobos, I write: dmd -unittest -main -run std/path
That only works for Phobos and files with no non-Phobos dependencies. Otherwise it won't link. Atila
Jun 19
prev sibling next sibling parent Seb <seb wilzba.ch> writes:
On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 at 15:25:55 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
 If the person running the D support for Meson is on this list 
 please contact me privately to tell me what I can do to help 
 progress that support further.
AFAICT this is mainly powered by ximion (https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/pull/685), e.g. https://github.com/gnunn1/tilix/pull/449 https://github.com/biod/BioD/pull/26 https://github.com/dlang/undeaD/pull/20 His contact details can be found at his Debian profile: https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=mak%40debian.org
Jun 19
prev sibling parent reply Mike B Johnson <Mikey Ikes.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 at 15:25:55 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
 Using Meson for D projects is so wonderful. If SCons is to 
 catch up a lot of work is needed, and I am increasingly 
 worrying it isn't worth it. So much so that I am wondering if 
 adding Dub package getting support to Meson should be a higher 
 priority that finishing adding it to SCons. Of course this is 
 only worth doing if Meson gets "all source at once" builds or 
 all D compilers spontaneously fix all versions so that 
 unit-threaded can work with "file at a time" builds.

 If the person running the D support for Meson is on this list 
 please contact me privately to tell me what I can do to help 
 progress that support further.
Funny: "The main design point of Meson is that every moment a developer spends writing or debugging build definitions is a second wasted. So is every second spent waiting for the build system to actually start compiling code." Which is in direct contradiction to what Walter has said... and yet Walter is suppose to be all about fast cars and hot women.
Jun 19
parent Matthias Klumpp <mak debian.org> writes:
On Monday, 19 June 2017 at 12:21:24 UTC, Mike B Johnson wrote:
 [...]
 Funny: "The main design point of Meson is that every moment a 
 developer spends writing or debugging build definitions is a 
 second wasted. So is every second spent waiting for the build 
 system to actually start compiling code."

 Which is in direct contradiction to what Walter has said... and 
 yet Walter is suppose to be all about fast cars and hot women.
Walter said you should invest a lot of time waiting for the build process? :P On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 at 15:25:55 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
 [...]
 If the person running the D support for Meson is on this list 
 please contact me privately to tell me what I can do to help 
 progress that support further.
Any changes that upstream Meson is happy with are fine :-) The best thing to help with improving Meson support one can possibly do at the moment would be fixing this DMDFE feature request: https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16746 This will also benefit a lot of other build systems that use incremental builds.
Jun 29