www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - D Blog...

reply "Lloyd Dupont" <ld-REMOVE galador.net> writes:
I just wrote an article on my blog (not much happening on it though, I 
confess..)

Which should explain to a .NET programmer how to have an easy and satisfying 
start with D:

http://www.galador.net/codeblog/post/2011/05/20/D-for-NET-programmer.aspx 
May 20 2011
next sibling parent reply Jesse Phillips <jessekphillips+D gmail.com> writes:
Lloyd Dupont Wrote:

 I just wrote an article on my blog (not much happening on it though, I 
 confess..)
 
 Which should explain to a .NET programmer how to have an easy and satisfying 
 start with D:
 
 http://www.galador.net/codeblog/post/2011/05/20/D-for-NET-programmer.aspx 
 

While I can understand why you have come to your conclusion, you're wrong. DFL and DWT both work with Phobos and DWT recently works with D2. Also you don't need the dm.zip for D1, it was purely a packaging thing which is fixed on both versions. Otherwise great job. The troubles you've hit are not uncommon and most people here just work with the command line.
May 20 2011
next sibling parent reply "Lloyd Dupont" <ld-REMOVE galador.net> writes:
Thanks for the feedback.

Hey I might give a new go at DFL then. I like Entice the designer support.
Well I could give a go at DWT as well, so I could make my own inform 
opinion!

My initial conclusion my have been skewed by the fact that I had a hard time 
just compiling the damn thing! :)

Will have a look this week, thanks for the correction.
Much worthy feedback if I can use the designer in the end! :)


"Jesse Phillips"  wrote in message news:ir5u0m$20o9$1 digitalmars.com...

Lloyd Dupont Wrote:

 I just wrote an article on my blog (not much happening on it though, I
 confess..)

 Which should explain to a .NET programmer how to have an easy and 
 satisfying
 start with D:

 http://www.galador.net/codeblog/post/2011/05/20/D-for-NET-programmer.aspx

While I can understand why you have come to your conclusion, you're wrong. DFL and DWT both work with Phobos and DWT recently works with D2. Also you don't need the dm.zip for D1, it was purely a packaging thing which is fixed on both versions. Otherwise great job. The troubles you've hit are not uncommon and most people here just work with the command line.
May 20 2011
parent reply Jesse Phillips <jessekphililps+D gmail.com> writes:
Lloyd Dupont Wrote:

 Thanks for the feedback.
 
 Hey I might give a new go at DFL then. I like Entice the designer support.
 Well I could give a go at DWT as well, so I could make my own inform 
 opinion!
 
 My initial conclusion my have been skewed by the fact that I had a hard time 
 just compiling the damn thing! :)

Actually I should mention two things, one is that you'll need DFL from: https://github.com/Rayerd/dfl and the other is that it won't compile with dmd 2.053 (or it didn't compile in the beta's and I don't think the repo has been updated yet.) I'll look at submitting a pull request on that, but I also have some other things.
May 20 2011
parent "Lloyd Dupont" <ld-REMOVE galador.net> writes:
Damn, I liked the idea to use the latest DMD!

Well this week I'll do more D & GUI experiment. Now that I "can compile" i 
might be more productive! :)

At any rate DGui look quite nice too! Except for the lack of designer 
support that is...

"Jesse Phillips"  wrote in message news:ir62sb$2a64$1 digitalmars.com...

Lloyd Dupont Wrote:

 Thanks for the feedback.

 Hey I might give a new go at DFL then. I like Entice the designer support.
 Well I could give a go at DWT as well, so I could make my own inform
 opinion!

 My initial conclusion my have been skewed by the fact that I had a hard 
 time
 just compiling the damn thing! :)

Actually I should mention two things, one is that you'll need DFL from: https://github.com/Rayerd/dfl and the other is that it won't compile with dmd 2.053 (or it didn't compile in the beta's and I don't think the repo has been updated yet.) I'll look at submitting a pull request on that, but I also have some other things.
May 20 2011
prev sibling parent Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich gmail.com> writes:
On 5/20/11, Jesse Phillips <jessekphililps+D gmail.com> wrote:
 and the other is that it won't compile with dmd 2.053 (or it didn't compile
 in the beta's and I don't think the repo has been updated yet.)

It was just a miss-placed line. A const variable was used before it was declared. There's a solution in the DFL forums. Compiles and runs fine on 2.053 with the fix.
May 20 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 5/20/2011 4:58 AM, Lloyd Dupont wrote:
 I just wrote an article on my blog (not much happening on it though, I
confess..)

 Which should explain to a .NET programmer how to have an easy and satisfying
 start with D:

 http://www.galador.net/codeblog/post/2011/05/20/D-for-NET-programmer.aspx

Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/hfuj4/starting_programming_in_d_guide_for_net_programmer/
May 20 2011
parent reply "Lloyd Dupont" <ld-REMOVE galador.net> writes:
hay, I didn't know reddit!
some comments are quite funny!

"Walter Bright"  wrote in message news:ir6aa1$2o0a$1 digitalmars.com...

On 5/20/2011 4:58 AM, Lloyd Dupont wrote:
 I just wrote an article on my blog (not much happening on it though, I 
 confess..)

 Which should explain to a .NET programmer how to have an easy and 
 satisfying
 start with D:

 http://www.galador.net/codeblog/post/2011/05/20/D-for-NET-programmer.aspx

Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/hfuj4/starting_programming_in_d_guide for_net_programmer/
May 20 2011
parent reply Peter Alexander <peter.alexander.au gmail.com> writes:
Reddit has killed your blog!

"Server is too busy"



On 21/05/11 3:08 AM, Lloyd Dupont wrote:
 hay, I didn't know reddit!
 some comments are quite funny!

 "Walter Bright" wrote in message news:ir6aa1$2o0a$1 digitalmars.com...

 On 5/20/2011 4:58 AM, Lloyd Dupont wrote:
 I just wrote an article on my blog (not much happening on it though, I
 confess..)

 Which should explain to a .NET programmer how to have an easy and
 satisfying
 start with D:

 http://www.galador.net/codeblog/post/2011/05/20/D-for-NET-programmer.aspx

Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/hfuj4/starting_programming_in_d_guide_for_net_programmer/

May 21 2011
parent "Lloyd Dupont" <ld-REMOVE galador.net> writes:
You ask at the right time!
After month of  anemic performance and got fed-up!
I just migrated my blog to a new server which should behave much better, 
hopefully!
Try again!
http://www.galador.net/codeblog/post/2011/05/20/D-for-NET-programmer.aspx


"Peter Alexander"  wrote in message news:ir991l$1lu0$1 digitalmars.com...

Reddit has killed your blog!

"Server is too busy"



On 21/05/11 3:08 AM, Lloyd Dupont wrote:
 hay, I didn't know reddit!
 some comments are quite funny!

 "Walter Bright" wrote in message news:ir6aa1$2o0a$1 digitalmars.com...

 On 5/20/2011 4:58 AM, Lloyd Dupont wrote:
 I just wrote an article on my blog (not much happening on it though, I
 confess..)

 Which should explain to a .NET programmer how to have an easy and
 satisfying
 start with D:

 http://www.galador.net/codeblog/post/2011/05/20/D-for-NET-programmer.aspx

Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/hfuj4/starting_programming_in_d_guide_for_net_programmer/

May 23 2011
prev sibling parent "Lloyd Dupont" <ld-REMOVE galador.net> writes:
A new post.. still about visual studio experience...

http://galador.net/codeblog/post/2011/05/23/Discovering-D-and-Visual-Studio-(continued%E2%80%A6).aspx




"Lloyd Dupont"  wrote in message news:ir5l9r$1gvh$1 digitalmars.com...

I just wrote an article on my blog (not much happening on it though, I
confess..)

Which should explain to a .NET programmer how to have an easy and satisfying
start with D:

http://www.galador.net/codeblog/post/2011/05/20/D-for-NET-programmer.aspx 
May 23 2011