www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - DTL?

reply Bill Baxter <dnewsgroup billbaxter.com> writes:
I saw mention of DTL in the Andrei/Walter slides.
But it didn't mention who is doing it, where to find it, or if it's not 
available yet, when approximately it would debut.

Also, will it be phobos dependent?

Any info?

--bb
Aug 27 2007
parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
Bill Baxter wrote:
 I saw mention of DTL in the Andrei/Walter slides.
 But it didn't mention who is doing it, where to find it, or if it's not 
 available yet, when approximately it would debut.

DTL is a now defunct library that was originally developed by Matthew Wilson. Its main selling point was an intriguing interpretation of ranges combined with the usual STL-like containers. I gather that such a library is on Walter and Andrei's "to do" list, and it's on mine as well (in fact, it's the #1 item).
 Also, will it be phobos dependent?

There is no reason that such a library would need to depend on either Phobos or Tango, aside from its possible inclusion in either or both. Sean
Aug 27 2007
parent reply Bill Baxter <dnewsgroup billbaxter.com> writes:
Sean Kelly wrote:
 Bill Baxter wrote:
 I saw mention of DTL in the Andrei/Walter slides.
 But it didn't mention who is doing it, where to find it, or if it's 
 not available yet, when approximately it would debut.

DTL is a now defunct library that was originally developed by Matthew Wilson. Its main selling point was an intriguing interpretation of ranges combined with the usual STL-like containers. I gather that such a library is on Walter and Andrei's "to do" list, and it's on mine as well (in fact, it's the #1 item).

Yeh, I remember that DTL. However that's defunct as you say and the "Standard Library" section from the Andrei/Walter presentation contains just one slide and it's titled "DTL" so I took it that they were co-opting the name and starting afresh.
 Also, will it be phobos dependent?

There is no reason that such a library would need to depend on either Phobos or Tango, aside from its possible inclusion in either or both.

I agree that it would be possible to make it independent of runtime, but it's also easy to think of small things that might thwart that. Like 1) toString 2) different std library exception hierarchies 3) use of low level library functionality like std.string.format. --bb
Aug 27 2007
next sibling parent "David B. Held" <dheld codelogicconsulting.com> writes:
Bill Baxter wrote:
 Sean Kelly wrote:
 [...]
 There is no reason that such a library would need to depend on either 
 Phobos or Tango, aside from its possible inclusion in either or both.

I agree that it would be possible to make it independent of runtime, but it's also easy to think of small things that might thwart that. Like 1) toString 2) different std library exception hierarchies 3) use of low level library functionality like std.string.format.

Those are good points, but I'm not sure that the containers will natively provide an interesting toString() or need to use something like std.string.format (but I'd be interested to here places where you think that is necessary). The exception hierarchy is an interesting point, but it's possible that DTL will get its own hierarchy, for better or worse. Andrei has indeed done some work on it, but he has lots of things to keep him busy, as you can imagine. Dave
Aug 27 2007
prev sibling parent Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
Bill Baxter wrote:
 Sean Kelly wrote:
 Bill Baxter wrote:
 I saw mention of DTL in the Andrei/Walter slides.
 But it didn't mention who is doing it, where to find it, or if it's 
 not available yet, when approximately it would debut.

DTL is a now defunct library that was originally developed by Matthew Wilson. Its main selling point was an intriguing interpretation of ranges combined with the usual STL-like containers. I gather that such a library is on Walter and Andrei's "to do" list, and it's on mine as well (in fact, it's the #1 item).

Yeh, I remember that DTL. However that's defunct as you say and the "Standard Library" section from the Andrei/Walter presentation contains just one slide and it's titled "DTL" so I took it that they were co-opting the name and starting afresh.

Same here, though inspired by the original I assume. I think ranges were mentioned at the conference when that slide came up.
 Also, will it be phobos dependent?

There is no reason that such a library would need to depend on either Phobos or Tango, aside from its possible inclusion in either or both.

I agree that it would be possible to make it independent of runtime, but it's also easy to think of small things that might thwart that. Like 1) toString 2) different std library exception hierarchies 3) use of low level library functionality like std.string.format.

True enough. Sean
Aug 27 2007