www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - DMD on WIndows 10

reply "Paul D Anderson" <claude.rains msn.com> writes:
I'm waiting to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 to avoid the 
inevitable just-released bugs, but does anyone have any info 
about D on Windows 10? Has anyone tried it?

p.s. Please don't tell me how much better your favorite operating 
system is than Windows. Thank you. :)
Jul 31 2015
next sibling parent reply "Idan Arye" <GenericNPC gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 31 July 2015 at 22:02:13 UTC, Paul D Anderson wrote:
 I'm waiting to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 to avoid 
 the inevitable just-released bugs, but does anyone have any 
 info about D on Windows 10? Has anyone tried it?

 p.s. Please don't tell me how much better your favorite 
 operating system is than Windows. Thank you. :)
A quick Google search points me to this article: http://www.howtogeek.com/219782/is-windows-10-backwards-compatible-with-your-existing-software/ It says Windows 10 should be able to run any application that runs on Windows 7 - though it does say that Windows 10 removed Desktop Gadgets, so if your program is one of those it probably won't work. Than again - I doubt there are any Windows Desktop Gadgets written in D...
Jul 31 2015
parent "jmh530" <john.michael.hall gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 31 July 2015 at 22:47:44 UTC, Idan Arye wrote:
 A quick Google search points me to this article: 
 http://www.howtogeek.com/219782/is-windows-10-backwards-compatible-with-your-existing-software/
My understanding as well. I was thinking of upgrading one of my computers this weekend to try it out. I don't foresee any issues with respect to DMD.
Jul 31 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent "Joseph Cassman" <jc7919 outlook.com> writes:
On Friday, 31 July 2015 at 22:02:13 UTC, Paul D Anderson wrote:
 I'm waiting to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 to avoid 
 the inevitable just-released bugs, but does anyone have any 
 info about D on Windows 10? Has anyone tried it?

 p.s. Please don't tell me how much better your favorite 
 operating system is than Windows. Thank you. :)
I'm successfully using DMD 2.068.0-b2 with VS 2013u5 to get a 64-bit build environment on Windows 10. I have not tested other environment setups but have had no difficulties so far. Joseph
Jul 31 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisProg gmx.com> writes:
On Friday, 31 July 2015 at 22:02:13 UTC, Paul D Anderson wrote:
 I'm waiting to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 to avoid 
 the inevitable just-released bugs, but does anyone have any 
 info about D on Windows 10? Has anyone tried it?
We probably should have done more testing on it, but at least in theory, programs compiled on at least Windows 7 or 8 should work on 10. They haven't done as good a job with it in recent years, but backwards compatibility is kind of Microsoft's thing and part of why many folks use Windows. But regardless, if you find bugs in dmd or Phobos or anything of the sort which show up specifically on Windows 10, please report them: https://issues.dlang.org
 p.s. Please don't tell me how much better your favorite 
 operating system is than Windows. Thank you. :)
Wait, what if someone's favorite OS _was_ Windows. If they started talking about how much better Windows was than Windows, would that create some kind of paradox? ;) You know, it would be _really_ cool if there were an OS out there that was fully compliant with both the POSIX standard and ecosystem and the Win32 API such that you could run KDE, gnome, bash, zsh, etc. on it just like on Linux/FreeBSD/etc. _and_ run Windows programs on it - all as native applications. A total pipe dream really, but _man_ would that be cool... - Jonathan M Davis
Jul 31 2015
parent reply "Kagamin" <spam here.lot> writes:
On Saturday, 1 August 2015 at 04:25:07 UTC, Jonathan M Davis 
wrote:
 You know, it would be _really_ cool if there were an OS out 
 there that was fully compliant with both the POSIX standard and 
 ecosystem and the Win32 API such that you could run KDE, gnome, 
 bash, zsh, etc. on it just like on Linux/FreeBSD/etc. _and_ run 
 Windows programs on it - all as native applications. A total 
 pipe dream really, but _man_ would that be cool...
Windows does have a posix subsystem: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772343.aspx
Aug 03 2015
parent reply "Tofu Ninja" <emmons0 purdue.edu> writes:
On Monday, 3 August 2015 at 10:37:43 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
 On Saturday, 1 August 2015 at 04:25:07 UTC, Jonathan M Davis 
 wrote:
 You know, it would be _really_ cool if there were an OS out 
 there that was fully compliant with both the POSIX standard 
 and ecosystem and the Win32 API such that you could run KDE, 
 gnome, bash, zsh, etc. on it just like on Linux/FreeBSD/etc. 
 _and_ run Windows programs on it - all as native applications. 
 A total pipe dream really, but _man_ would that be cool...
Windows does have a posix subsystem: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772343.aspx
How well does that work?
Aug 03 2015
parent "Kagamin" <spam here.lot> writes:
On Monday, 3 August 2015 at 14:43:00 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:
 How well does that work?
Well, if it exists in the first place, I suppose, it has some sizable users?
Aug 03 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "John Chapman" <johnch_atms hotmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 31 July 2015 at 22:02:13 UTC, Paul D Anderson wrote:
 I'm waiting to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 to avoid 
 the inevitable just-released bugs, but does anyone have any 
 info about D on Windows 10? Has anyone tried it?
I'm on Windows 10, and my DMD-built programs run just fine.
Aug 01 2015
parent reply "Etienne Cimon" <etcimon gmail.com> writes:
On Saturday, 1 August 2015 at 07:56:34 UTC, John Chapman wrote:
 On Friday, 31 July 2015 at 22:02:13 UTC, Paul D Anderson wrote:
 I'm waiting to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 to avoid 
 the inevitable just-released bugs, but does anyone have any 
 info about D on Windows 10? Has anyone tried it?
I'm on Windows 10, and my DMD-built programs run just fine.
Did you get a sort of freeze on Win10 when trying to open some executables downloaded from the internet? I was annoyed a bit when re-downloading all my apps, the installer just appeared out of nowhere 5 minutes later.
Aug 02 2015
parent "rumbu" <rumbu rumbu.ro> writes:
On Monday, 3 August 2015 at 01:25:15 UTC, Etienne Cimon wrote
 Did you get a sort of freeze on Win10 when trying to open some 
 executables downloaded from the internet? I was annoyed a bit 
 when re-downloading all my apps, the installer just appeared 
 out of nowhere 5 minutes later.
This is probably your AV or Windows Defender. Anyway, tested dmd on Win10, both flavours, 32 and 64 bit, no problems so far. If you are using also VS2015, the paths in sc.ini must be updated to properly link mscoff executables.
Aug 02 2015
prev sibling parent reply Timon Gehr <timon.gehr gmx.ch> writes:
On 08/01/2015 12:02 AM, Paul D Anderson wrote:
 p.s. Please don't tell me how much better your favorite operating system
 is than Windows. Thank you. :)
There are plenty operating systems that are not my favourite, yet still much better than Windows.
Aug 02 2015
parent reply "Tofu Ninja" <emmons0 purdue.edu> writes:
On Sunday, 2 August 2015 at 17:07:39 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
 On 08/01/2015 12:02 AM, Paul D Anderson wrote:
 p.s. Please don't tell me how much better your favorite 
 operating system
 is than Windows. Thank you. :)
There are plenty operating systems that are not my favourite, yet still much better than Windows.
Just couldn't restrain your self eh?
Aug 02 2015
parent Timon Gehr <timon.gehr gmx.ch> writes:
On 08/03/2015 02:04 AM, Tofu Ninja wrote:
 On Sunday, 2 August 2015 at 17:07:39 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
 On 08/01/2015 12:02 AM, Paul D Anderson wrote:
 p.s. Please don't tell me how much better your favorite operating system
 is than Windows. Thank you. :)
There are plenty operating systems that are not my favourite, yet still much better than Windows.
Just couldn't restrain your self eh?
Just pointing out a loophole.
Aug 02 2015