www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - DMD and Solaris

reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Alex_R=F8nne_Petersen?= <alex lycus.org> writes:
Hi,

I think we need to be clear on this: Does DMD support Solaris? I would 
expect GDC and LDC to support it, but it doesn't seem like there's any 
maintained support for it in DMD.

-- 
Alex Rønne Petersen
alex lycus.org
http://lycus.org
Jun 19 2012
next sibling parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 6/19/2012 11:28 AM, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
 I think we need to be clear on this: Does DMD support Solaris? I would expect
 GDC and LDC to support it, but it doesn't seem like there's any maintained
 support for it in DMD.

Not anymore - Solaris is a dead end operating system.
Jun 19 2012
next sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Alex_R=F8nne_Petersen?= <alex lycus.org> writes:
On 19-06-2012 22:05, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 6/19/2012 11:28 AM, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
 I think we need to be clear on this: Does DMD support Solaris? I would
 expect
 GDC and LDC to support it, but it doesn't seem like there's any
 maintained
 support for it in DMD.

Not anymore - Solaris is a dead end operating system.

OK. I think I'll submit some patches to remove Solaris code from DMD's druntime then. -- Alex Rønne Petersen alex lycus.org http://lycus.org
Jun 19 2012
parent Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 6/19/2012 3:42 PM, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
 On 19-06-2012 22:05, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 6/19/2012 11:28 AM, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
 I think we need to be clear on this: Does DMD support Solaris? I would
 expect
 GDC and LDC to support it, but it doesn't seem like there's any
 maintained
 support for it in DMD.

Not anymore - Solaris is a dead end operating system.

OK. I think I'll submit some patches to remove Solaris code from DMD's druntime then.

I'd rather they were left in for now.
Jun 19 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Moritz Warning <moritzwarning web.de> writes:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 00:42:23 +0200, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:

 On 19-06-2012 22:05, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 6/19/2012 11:28 AM, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
 I think we need to be clear on this: Does DMD support Solaris? I would
 expect GDC and LDC to support it, but it doesn't seem like there's any
 maintained support for it in DMD.

Not anymore - Solaris is a dead end operating system.

OK. I think I'll submit some patches to remove Solaris code from DMD's druntime then.

Solaris may be a dead end, but there are a few Solaris related OSs that are alive and going strong. Illumos comes to my mind.
Jun 19 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Paulo Pinto" <pjmlp progtools.org> writes:
On Tuesday, 19 June 2012 at 20:06:28 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 6/19/2012 11:28 AM, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
 I think we need to be clear on this: Does DMD support Solaris? 
 I would expect
 GDC and LDC to support it, but it doesn't seem like there's 
 any maintained
 support for it in DMD.

Not anymore - Solaris is a dead end operating system.

Most enterprise customers we work with, seem to think otherwise. -- Paulo
Jun 21 2012
parent Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 6/21/2012 10:56 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
 On Tuesday, 19 June 2012 at 20:06:28 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 6/19/2012 11:28 AM, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
 I think we need to be clear on this: Does DMD support Solaris? I would expect
 GDC and LDC to support it, but it doesn't seem like there's any maintained
 support for it in DMD.

Not anymore - Solaris is a dead end operating system.

Most enterprise customers we work with, seem to think otherwise.

If someone wants to work on a Solaris port, I'm open to it.
Jun 21 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Paulo Pinto" <pjmlp progtools.org> writes:
On Thursday, 21 June 2012 at 19:43:40 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 6/21/2012 10:56 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
 On Tuesday, 19 June 2012 at 20:06:28 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 6/19/2012 11:28 AM, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
 I think we need to be clear on this: Does DMD support 
 Solaris? I would expect
 GDC and LDC to support it, but it doesn't seem like there's 
 any maintained
 support for it in DMD.

Not anymore - Solaris is a dead end operating system.

Most enterprise customers we work with, seem to think otherwise.

If someone wants to work on a Solaris port, I'm open to it.

Actually I did start one, several months ago, but did not do much more than change a few version() statements. Real life keeps getting in the way :)
Jun 22 2012
prev sibling parent Sean Kelly <sean invisibleduck.org> writes:
On Jun 21, 2012, at 10:56 AM, "Paulo Pinto" <pjmlp progtools.org> wrote:

 On Tuesday, 19 June 2012 at 20:06:28 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 6/19/2012 11:28 AM, Alex R=C3=B8nne Petersen wrote:
 I think we need to be clear on this: Does DMD support Solaris? I would e=



 GDC and LDC to support it, but it doesn't seem like there's any maintain=



 support for it in DMD.

Not anymore - Solaris is a dead end operating system.

Most enterprise customers we work with, seem to think otherwise.

I bet they wish it were a dead operating system though :-)=
Jun 22 2012
prev sibling parent Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw ubuntu.com> writes:
On 19 June 2012 21:05, Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> wrote:
 On 6/19/2012 11:28 AM, Alex R=F8nne Petersen wrote:
 I think we need to be clear on this: Does DMD support Solaris? I would
 expect> GDC and LDC to support it, but it doesn't seem like there's any =


 support for it in DMD.

Not anymore - Solaris is a dead end operating system.

It has been OpenSolaris, or latterly OpenIndiana that has been receiving most attention. --=20 Iain Buclaw *(p < e ? p++ : p) =3D (c & 0x0f) + '0';
Jun 19 2012