www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - DIP 1007--"future symbol"--Formal Review

reply Mike Parker <aldacron gmail.com> writes:
The first stage of the formal review for DIP 1007 [1], "'future 
symbol' Compiler Concept", is now underway. From now until 11:59 
PM ET on June 21 (3:59 AM GMT on June 22), the community has the 
opportunity to provide last-minute feedback. If you missed the 
preliminary review [2], this is your chance to provide input.

At the end of the feedback period, I will submit the DIP to 
Walter and Andrei for their final decision. Thanks in advance to 
those of you who participate.

[1] 
https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/4ae4b8c4ebc69d46b4801856b01474367065e7b6/DIPs/DIP1007.md
[2] 
http://forum.dlang.org/post/hjdstwzhcbrektlijvhm forum.dlang.org
Jun 07
next sibling parent reply Olivier FAURE <olivier.faure epitech.eu> writes:
On Wednesday, 7 June 2017 at 10:36:05 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
 The first stage of the formal review for DIP 1007 [1], "'future 
 symbol' Compiler Concept", is now underway. From now until 
 11:59 PM ET on June 21 (3:59 AM GMT on June 22), the community 
 has the opportunity to provide last-minute feedback. If you 
 missed the preliminary review [2], this is your chance to 
 provide input.
This has probably been said somewhere before, but could you give a short explanation of what the formal review is, and how it's supposed to be different from the preliminary review? Thank you in advance. Otherwise, the whole DIP seems pretty well thought-out to me. I particularly like the idea of a core-only __future attribute, that can be replaced with a globally available future attribute eventually.
Jun 07
next sibling parent reply Mike Parker <aldacron gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 7 June 2017 at 13:47:41 UTC, Olivier FAURE wrote:
 This has probably been said somewhere before, but could you 
 give a short explanation of what the formal review is, and how 
 it's supposed to be different from the preliminary review? 
 Thank you in advance.
The basic idea is in the README. I'll be revising it a bit in the near future based on the lessons I've learned so far to clarify the process, but I want to keep this thread focused on feedback. Thanks! https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/README.md
Jun 07
next sibling parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 06/07/2017 10:42 AM, Mike Parker wrote:
 On Wednesday, 7 June 2017 at 13:47:41 UTC, Olivier FAURE wrote:
 This has probably been said somewhere before, but could you give a 
 short explanation of what the formal review is, and how it's supposed 
 to be different from the preliminary review? Thank you in advance.
The basic idea is in the README. I'll be revising it a bit in the near future based on the lessons I've learned so far to clarify the process, but I want to keep this thread focused on feedback. Thanks! https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/README.md
Ah never mind :o). -- Andrei
Jun 07
prev sibling parent Olivier FAURE <olivier.faure epitech.eu> writes:
On Wednesday, 7 June 2017 at 14:42:24 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
 
 I'll be revising it a bit in the near future based on the 
 lessons I've learned so far to clarify the process, but I want 
 to keep this thread focused on feedback. Thanks!

 https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/README.md
Sorry, my question was poorly formulated. What I meant was it would be nice if you gave us either a short explanation of what these processes are, or a link to one (which you just did, thank you!), and more importantly, it would be nice to do this systematically with each of these announcements :)
Jun 07
prev sibling parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 06/07/2017 09:47 AM, Olivier FAURE wrote:
 On Wednesday, 7 June 2017 at 10:36:05 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
 The first stage of the formal review for DIP 1007 [1], "'future 
 symbol' Compiler Concept", is now underway. From now until 11:59 PM ET 
 on June 21 (3:59 AM GMT on June 22), the community has the opportunity 
 to provide last-minute feedback. If you missed the preliminary review 
 [2], this is your chance to provide input.
This has probably been said somewhere before, but could you give a short explanation of what the formal review is, and how it's supposed to be different from the preliminary review? Thank you in advance.
Mike that would make a good wiki page. -- Andrei
Jun 07
prev sibling next sibling parent Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 6/7/2017 3:36 AM, Mike Parker wrote:
 The first stage of the formal review for DIP 1007 [1], "'future symbol'
Compiler 
 Concept", is now underway. From now until 11:59 PM ET on June 21 (3:59 AM GMT
on 
 June 22), the community has the opportunity to provide last-minute feedback.
If 
 you missed the preliminary review [2], this is your chance to provide input.
 
 At the end of the feedback period, I will submit the DIP to Walter and Andrei 
 for their final decision. Thanks in advance to those of you who participate.
 
 [1] 
 https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/4ae4b8c4ebc69d46b4801856b01474367065
7b6/DIPs/DIP1007.md 
 
 [2] http://forum.dlang.org/post/hjdstwzhcbrektlijvhm forum.dlang.org
And an implementation too, which has been around for a while: https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/6494
Jun 07
prev sibling parent Mike Parker <aldacron gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 7 June 2017 at 10:36:05 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
 The first stage of the formal review for DIP 1007 [1], "'future 
 symbol' Compiler Concept", is now underway. From now until 
 11:59 PM ET on June 21 (3:59 AM GMT on June 22), the community 
 has the opportunity to provide last-minute feedback. If you 
 missed the preliminary review [2], this is your chance to 
 provide input.

 At the end of the feedback period, I will submit the DIP to 
 Walter and Andrei for their final decision. Thanks in advance 
 to those of you who participate.
The feedback period has ended. I'll announce the final decision once it's been made.
Jun 22