www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Casting byte[] to int/long

reply Henrik <zodiachus gmail.com> writes:
Hello!

If I have a dynamic array of bytes, say

byte[] a; a = [1,2,3,4];

Is it possible to somehow cast a number of these bytes into an int or a long,
like so;

int b = cast(int)a[0..2];
long c = cast(long)a;

or something? The goal is to convert 2 * 8 bit into 1 * 16 bit or 4 * 8 bit
into 1 * 64 bit. 1) Is it possible? 2) Is it possible without confusing the
GC? 3) How? ;)
Nov 29 2006
parent reply Bill Baxter <wbaxter gmail.com> writes:
Henrik wrote:
 Hello!
 
 If I have a dynamic array of bytes, say
 
 byte[] a; a = [1,2,3,4];
 
 Is it possible to somehow cast a number of these bytes into an int or a long,
 like so;
 
 int b = cast(int)a[0..2];
 long c = cast(long)a;
 
 or something? The goal is to convert 2 * 8 bit into 1 * 16 bit or 4 * 8 bit
 into 1 * 64 bit. 1) Is it possible? 2) Is it possible without confusing the
 GC? 3) How? ;)

You need something like: int b = *cast(int*)&a[0]; long c = *cast(long*)a.ptr; --bb
Nov 29 2006
parent reply Gregor Richards <Richards codu.org> writes:
Bill Baxter wrote:
 Henrik wrote:
 
 Hello!

 If I have a dynamic array of bytes, say

 byte[] a; a = [1,2,3,4];

 Is it possible to somehow cast a number of these bytes into an int or 
 a long,
 like so;

 int b = cast(int)a[0..2];
 long c = cast(long)a;

 or something? The goal is to convert 2 * 8 bit into 1 * 16 bit or 4 * 
 8 bit
 into 1 * 64 bit. 1) Is it possible? 2) Is it possible without 
 confusing the
 GC? 3) How? ;)

You need something like: int b = *cast(int*)&a[0]; long c = *cast(long*)a.ptr; --bb

You probably know this, but be very careful while doing this, endianness makes all the difference: int main() { long a = 10; int *b = cast(int *) &a; writefln("%d", *b); } (Untested) That code will print 10 on a little-endian system, but will print 0 on a big-endian system. - Gregor Richards
Nov 29 2006
parent Henrik <zodiachus gmail.com> writes:
Gregor Richards wrote:
(Untested) That code will print 10 on a little-endian system, but will

Shit, you are right. I would have forgotten about it :| std.system to the rescue!
Nov 29 2006