www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Backquotes look like regular quotes in TDPL?

reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
Is it just me or are the backquotes looking like regular quotes in TDPL? 
They're introduced on page 36, section 2.2.5.1.

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
Jun 28 2010
parent reply Tyro[a.c.edwards] <no.spam home.com> writes:
== Quote from Jacob Carlborg (doob me.com)'s article
 Is it just me or are the backquotes looking like regular quotes in

 They're introduced on page 36, section 2.2.5.1.

It's not you, they do in fact look like regular quotes. That however, is a byproduct of the font chosen. Look closely at the character used at the top of table 2.3 of the same page and compare that to the one in 2.2.5.1 and I'm sure you will see a distinct difference.
Jun 28 2010
next sibling parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2010-06-28 12:50, Tyro[a.c.edwards] wrote:
 == Quote from Jacob Carlborg (doob me.com)'s article
 Is it just me or are the backquotes looking like regular quotes in

 They're introduced on page 36, section 2.2.5.1.

It's not you, they do in fact look like regular quotes. That however, is a byproduct of the font chosen. Look closely at the character used at the top of table 2.3 of the same page and compare that to the one in 2.2.5.1 and I'm sure you will see a distinct difference.

Yes, I see a difference but a very slightly difference. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Jun 28 2010
prev sibling parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Tyro[a.c.edwards] wrote:
<snip>
 It's not you, they do in fact look like regular quotes. That however, is
 a byproduct of the font chosen.

Therein lies the point - a good designer would have chosen a font that clearly distinguishes the various characters that the language uses. Stewart.
Jun 29 2010
parent reply bearophile <bearophileHUGS lycos.com> writes:
Stewart Gordon:
 a good designer would have chosen a font that 
 clearly distinguishes the various characters that the language uses.

Finding such font is so hard that I have modified a font (Inconsolata, creating Inconsolata-g) to see well the chars used in D and Python code, but it lacks a bold version still, so it was unfit for TDPL. I will create the bold version too when I find the time, I think it requires a good amount of manual work. Bye, bearophile
Jun 29 2010
next sibling parent reply bearophile <bearophileHUGS lycos.com> writes:
This is how it looks at the normal size, are those backquotes good enough for
you?
http://tinyurl.com/398t3qu

Bye,
bearophile
Jun 29 2010
parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2010-06-29 23.57, bearophile wrote:
 This is how it looks at the normal size, are those backquotes good enough for
you?
 http://tinyurl.com/398t3qu

 Bye,
 bearophile

Yes, those are good enough, they actually look like backquotes :) -- Jacob Carlborg
Jun 30 2010
prev sibling next sibling parent reply strtr <strtr sp.am> writes:
== Quote from bearophile (bearophileHUGS lycos.com)'s article
 Stewart Gordon:
 a good designer would have chosen a font that
 clearly distinguishes the various characters that the language uses.


bold version still, so it was unfit for TDPL. I will create the bold version too when I find the time, I think it requires a good amount of manual work.
 Bye,
 bearophile

I haven't found any such problems with Consolas. (Not that I use that many different languages)
Jun 29 2010
parent reply bearophile <bearophileHUGS lycos.com> writes:
strtr
 I haven't found any such problems with Consolas. (Not that I use that many
 different languages)

I see some problems in Consolas (I see such problems even if I use it to program in D only), time ago here I have given the URL of a list of them that I have written. In my opinion Inconsolata has less problems than Consolas (despite in some situations Inconsolata looks blurred on Windows Vista and this never happens with Consolas), and Inconsolata is an open font that I can modify freely, while I have no rights to modify Consolas, so I have tried to fix them. Inconsolata author has appreciated some of my ideas and refused some other ones, but in the meantime he has not changed Inconsolata, so he's busy or he doesn't like them after all. And I think Consolas is the font Andrei has used for the code of TDPL, given that Inconsolata-g has no bold face yet, I agree with him it's the best choice, even if not perfect. Bye, bearophile
Jun 29 2010
next sibling parent reply KennyTM~ <kennytm gmail.com> writes:
On Jun 30, 10 07:12, bearophile wrote:
 strtr
 I haven't found any such problems with Consolas. (Not that I use that many
 different languages)

I see some problems in Consolas (I see such problems even if I use it to program in D only), time ago here I have given the URL of a list of them that I have written. In my opinion Inconsolata has less problems than Consolas (despite in some situations Inconsolata looks blurred on Windows Vista and this never happens with Consolas), and Inconsolata is an open font that I can modify freely, while I have no rights to modify Consolas, so I have tried to fix them. Inconsolata author has appreciated some of my ideas and refused some other ones, but in the meantime he has not changed Inconsolata, so he's busy or he doesn't like them after all. And I think Consolas is the font Andrei has used for the code of TDPL, given that Inconsolata-g has no bold face yet, I agree with him it's the best choice, even if not perfect.

Isn't it Nimbus Mono (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimbus_Mono_L)?
 Bye,
 bearophile

Jun 29 2010
next sibling parent reply bearophile <bearophileHUGS lycos.com> writes:
KennyTM~:
 Isn't it Nimbus Mono (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimbus_Mono_L)?

I don't know. Probably the name of the font used is written on the second cover page, or Andrei can tell you. I didn't know about Nimbus Mono, it looks a lot like Courier New. Bye, bearophile
Jun 30 2010
parent KennyTM~ <kennytm gmail.com> writes:
On Jun 30, 10 17:53, bearophile wrote:
 KennyTM~:
 Isn't it Nimbus Mono (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimbus_Mono_L)?

I don't know. Probably the name of the font used is written on the second cover page, or Andrei can tell you. I didn't know about Nimbus Mono, it looks a lot like Courier New. Bye, bearophile

I was just checking the PDF preview chapter on this newsgroup before TDPL was published, so I can't be sure either.
Jun 30 2010
prev sibling parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
KennyTM~ wrote:
 On Jun 30, 10 07:12, bearophile wrote:
 strtr
 I haven't found any such problems with Consolas. (Not that I use that 
 many
 different languages)

I see some problems in Consolas (I see such problems even if I use it to program in D only), time ago here I have given the URL of a list of them that I have written. In my opinion Inconsolata has less problems than Consolas (despite in some situations Inconsolata looks blurred on Windows Vista and this never happens with Consolas), and Inconsolata is an open font that I can modify freely, while I have no rights to modify Consolas, so I have tried to fix them. Inconsolata author has appreciated some of my ideas and refused some other ones, but in the meantime he has not changed Inconsolata, so he's busy or he doesn't like them after all. And I think Consolas is the font Andrei has used for the code of TDPL, given that Inconsolata-g has no bold face yet, I agree with him it's the best choice, even if not perfect.

Isn't it Nimbus Mono (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimbus_Mono_L)?

It's Bitstream Vera Mono with a few changes. Andrei
Jun 30 2010
prev sibling parent reply strtr <strtr sp.am> writes:
== Quote from bearophile (bearophileHUGS lycos.com)'s article
 strtr
 I haven't found any such problems with Consolas. (Not that I use that many
 different languages)


Searched for "consolas" but couldn't find the link :(
 In my opinion Inconsolata has less problems than Consolas (despite in some

Consolas), and Inconsolata is an open font that I can modify freely, while I have no rights to modify Consolas, so I have tried to fix them.
 Inconsolata author has appreciated some of my ideas and refused some other
ones,

 but in the meantime he has not changed Inconsolata, so he's busy or he doesn't

 And I think Consolas is the font Andrei has used for the code of TDPL, given

even if not perfect.
 Bye,
 bearophile

Jun 30 2010
parent bearophile <bearophileHUGS lycos.com> writes:
strtr:
 Searched for "consolas" but couldn't find the link :(

Info on Consolas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consolas Some comments on Inconsolata: http://tinyurl.com/348vw7n Bye, bearophile
Jun 30 2010
prev sibling parent Justin Johansson <no spam.com> writes:
bearophile wrote:
 Stewart Gordon:
 a good designer would have chosen a font that 
 clearly distinguishes the various characters that the language uses.

Finding such font is so hard that I have modified a font (Inconsolata, creating Inconsolata-g) to see well the chars used in D and Python code, but it lacks a bold version still, so it was unfit for TDPL. I will create the bold version too when I find the time, I think it requires a good amount of manual work. Bye, bearophile

Not only are you expert at unrolling dot product loops, you unroll fonts as well. You're a legend bearophile. :-) btw. people might appreciate this link: http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html Cheers Justin Johansson
Jun 29 2010