www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Any D developer at GDC europe next week ?

reply Stephan <spam extrawurst.org> writes:
Hi perhaps there is a chance to talk about D in the game industry ?!

I will be there. Anyone else ?



-Stephan
Aug 09 2011
next sibling parent reply Jesse Phillips <jessekphillips+D gmail.com> writes:
Stephan Wrote:

 Hi perhaps there is a chance to talk about D in the game industry ?!
 
 I will be there. Anyone else ?
 
 
 
 -Stephan

While not what you asked for, you may be interested in the D Bits blog, http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1140-d-bits/
Aug 09 2011
parent Stephan <spam extrawurst.org> writes:
On 09.08.2011 17:49, Jesse Phillips wrote:
 Stephan Wrote:

 Hi perhaps there is a chance to talk about D in the game industry ?!

 I will be there. Anyone else ?



 -Stephan

While not what you asked for, you may be interested in the D Bits blog, http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1140-d-bits/

Yup I am following it closely :) -Stephan
Aug 09 2011
prev sibling parent reply Trass3r <un known.com> writes:
 Hi perhaps there is a chance to talk about D in the game industry ?!

 I will be there.

Convince Crytek to switch to D ;)
Aug 09 2011
next sibling parent reply Stephan <spam extrawurst.org> writes:
On 09.08.2011 18:52, Trass3r wrote:
 Hi perhaps there is a chance to talk about D in the game industry ?!

 I will be there.

Convince Crytek to switch to D ;)

I will do my best :) -Stephan
Aug 10 2011
next sibling parent "Nick Sabalausky" <a a.a> writes:
"Marco Leise" <Marco.Leise gmx.de> wrote in message 
news:op.vzz7f9b29y6py2 dslb-088-070-152-209.pools.arcor-ip.net...
 Am 10.08.2011, 10:20 Uhr, schrieb Stephan <spam extrawurst.org>:

 On 09.08.2011 18:52, Trass3r wrote:
 Hi perhaps there is a chance to talk about D in the game industry ?!

 I will be there.

Convince Crytek to switch to D ;)

I will do my best :) -Stephan

Start by asking what programming language they use. C++? Oh rly? Then ask them what they like and don't like about it. And when they feel really pity about their current situation with C++ you drop an innocent side-note about how you use D and how arrays, templates and other stuff works there. Also if you meet the founders there talking about what a wonderful city Istanbul is may get you a foot in the door.

That's actually very similar to an approach I've heard about ("LEAP" - "Listen Empathize Agree Partner") for dealing with patients of psychological disorders that involve denial (addiction, schizophrenia, etc...). I suppose you could consider liking C++ a psychological disorder ;)
Aug 10 2011
prev sibling parent reply "Paulo Pinto" <pjmlp progtools.org> writes:
I hope you will have good arguments when they start speaking
about available tooling for C++ vs D.

Specially about the all the platforms Crytek supports.


"Marco Leise" <Marco.Leise gmx.de> wrote in message 
news:op.vzz7f9b29y6py2 dslb-088-070-152-209.pools.arcor-ip.net...
 Am 10.08.2011, 10:20 Uhr, schrieb Stephan <spam extrawurst.org>:

 On 09.08.2011 18:52, Trass3r wrote:
 Hi perhaps there is a chance to talk about D in the game industry ?!

 I will be there.

Convince Crytek to switch to D ;)

I will do my best :) -Stephan

Start by asking what programming language they use. C++? Oh rly? Then ask them what they like and don't like about it. And when they feel really pity about their current situation with C++ you drop an innocent side-note about how you use D and how arrays, templates and other stuff works there. Also if you meet the founders there talking about what a wonderful city Istanbul is may get you a foot in the door.

Aug 12 2011
parent reply Peter Alexander <peter.alexander.au gmail.com> writes:
On 12/08/11 3:27 PM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
 I hope you will have good arguments when they start speaking
 about available tooling for C++ vs D.

 Specially about the all the platforms Crytek supports.


 "Marco Leise"<Marco.Leise gmx.de>  wrote in message
 news:op.vzz7f9b29y6py2 dslb-088-070-152-209.pools.arcor-ip.net...
 Am 10.08.2011, 10:20 Uhr, schrieb Stephan<spam extrawurst.org>:

 On 09.08.2011 18:52, Trass3r wrote:
 Hi perhaps there is a chance to talk about D in the game industry ?!

 I will be there.

Convince Crytek to switch to D ;)

I will do my best :) -Stephan

Start by asking what programming language they use. C++? Oh rly? Then ask them what they like and don't like about it. And when they feel really pity about their current situation with C++ you drop an innocent side-note about how you use D and how arrays, templates and other stuff works there. Also if you meet the founders there talking about what a wonderful city Istanbul is may get you a foot in the door.


The conversation wouldn't get to tools. It would end with a simple reply: "Everyone here knows C++, no one knows D. All our code is written in C++ and it works."
Aug 12 2011
parent reply "Nick Sabalausky" <a a.a> writes:
"Peter Alexander" <peter.alexander.au gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:j23r6m$1nlj$1 digitalmars.com...
 The conversation wouldn't get to tools. It would end with a simple reply: 
 "Everyone here knows C++, no one knows D. All our code is written in C++ 
 and it works."

Any sentence involving the phrases "C++" and "it works" needs to be appended with something like "...sort of" or "...barely". Also, nobody knows C++. Many people use it. But it's not really possible to actually know it. To misquote Cleveland Brown out of context: "You never win. You just do a little better every time."
Aug 12 2011
next sibling parent "Jouko Koski" <joukokoskispam101 netti.fi> writes:
"Nick Sabalausky" <a a.a> wrote:

 Any sentence involving the phrases "C++" and "it works" needs to be 
 appended with something like "...sort of" or "...barely".

When I talk about D programming language to somebody, I prefer avoiding this sort of tone entirely. -- Jouko
Aug 13 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg gmx.com> writes:
On Saturday, August 13, 2011 10:49:43 Jouko Koski wrote:
 "Nick Sabalausky" <a a.a> wrote:
 Any sentence involving the phrases "C++" and "it works" needs to be
 appended with something like "...sort of" or "...barely".

When I talk about D programming language to somebody, I prefer avoiding this sort of tone entirely.

Not to mention, if you're trying to get a C++ programmer to try D, odds are that they don't think that C++ is junk. There's almost certainly stuff about it which they don't like or wish were improved, but they're almost certainly not going to think that C++ is junk or that it only works "sort of" or "barely." C++ works extremely well for a lot of stuff, which is why it's used for a lot of stuff. It has lot of issues too, and it's understandable if someone doesn't want to use it, but odds are that someone who uses C++ on a regular basis - _especially_ if they use it by choice - is not going to think all that badly of it. Honestly, if you're trying to get someone to try D, you're going to need to talk about D's good points, _not_ why the language that you're trying to get them to drop is junk. That's likely to just make them defensive and not listen to you. - Jonathan M Davis
Aug 13 2011
prev sibling parent reply Peter Alexander <peter.alexander.au gmail.com> writes:
On 13/08/11 6:26 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 "Peter Alexander"<peter.alexander.au gmail.com>  wrote in message
 news:j23r6m$1nlj$1 digitalmars.com...
 The conversation wouldn't get to tools. It would end with a simple reply:
 "Everyone here knows C++, no one knows D. All our code is written in C++
 and it works."

Any sentence involving the phrases "C++" and "it works" needs to be appended with something like "...sort of" or "...barely". Also, nobody knows C++. Many people use it. But it's not really possible to actually know it. To misquote Cleveland Brown out of context: "You never win. You just do a little better every time."

Almost everyone in the games industry knows that C++ is a rubbish language. They don't choose it because they think it's good, they choose it because: - It's what everyone in the games industry knows. - It gives you enough control over the hardware. - All the libraries, tools and SDKs are built around it. - The abstractions it provides are "good enough" to get things done without too much of a performance penalty. How "good" a language is *rarely* has any impact on the decision to use it.
Aug 13 2011
parent "Jouko Koski" <joukokoskispam101 netti.fi> writes:
"Peter Alexander" <peter.alexander.au gmail.com> wrote:

 Almost everyone in the games industry knows that C++ is a rubbish 
 language.

When I talk about D programming language to somebody, I prefer avoiding this sort of argumentation entirely. -- Jouko
Aug 14 2011
prev sibling parent "Marco Leise" <Marco.Leise gmx.de> writes:
Am 10.08.2011, 10:20 Uhr, schrieb Stephan <spam extrawurst.org>:

 On 09.08.2011 18:52, Trass3r wrote:
 Hi perhaps there is a chance to talk about D in the game industry ?!

 I will be there.

Convince Crytek to switch to D ;)

I will do my best :) -Stephan

Start by asking what programming language they use. C++? Oh rly? Then ask them what they like and don't like about it. And when they feel really pity about their current situation with C++ you drop an innocent side-note about how you use D and how arrays, templates and other stuff works there. Also if you meet the founders there talking about what a wonderful city Istanbul is may get you a foot in the door.
Aug 10 2011