www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - An idea for the D community

reply Petr <janda.petr gmail.com> writes:
Hi,

I'm (reasonably) new to D, and I just bought the TDPL. (Thanks Andrei!)

1) I think what would be good is github like website for D
libraries/programs(It might even support SVN and Mercurial) and people should
be encouraged to base their opensource D projects there

2) On top of this, I think the D community should have a RubyGems package
manager equivalent written for D. As a Ruby user my self, this has significant
advantages that you can easily manage 3rd party libraries.

Cheers,
Petr
Jun 27 2010
parent reply Daniel Keep <daniel.keep.lists gmail.com> writes:
Petr wrote:
 Hi,
 
 I'm (reasonably) new to D, and I just bought the TDPL. (Thanks Andrei!)
 
 1) I think what would be good is github like website for D
 libraries/programs(It might even support SVN and Mercurial) and people should
 be encouraged to base their opensource D projects there

http://dsource.org/
 2) On top of this, I think the D community should have a RubyGems package
 manager equivalent written for D. As a Ruby user my self, this has significant
 advantages that you can easily manage 3rd party libraries.

DSSS (http://dsource.org/projects/dsss/)
Jun 27 2010
next sibling parent Petr <janda.petr gmail.com> writes:
DSSS looks like the right tool that I was looking for. Thanks!

However, dsource.org is a bit annoying to use.

You can't just signup and create a repository for your project. A lot of the
projects on dsource infact use github.

What I meant is really something like github for D, which makes it easier to
check
upon activity(or lack of) of related projects and forks. D has a small community
and a relatively small number of external libraries that are hosted all over the
internet. Putting them together should improve the situation a lot.   RSS feeds
would also be good. (ie new releases)

Petr
Jun 27 2010
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Jesse Phillips <jessekphillips+D gmail.com> writes:
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 10:44:10 +0000, Petr wrote:

 What I meant is really something like github for D, which makes it
 easier to check upon activity(or lack of) of related projects and forks.
 D has a small community and a relatively small number of external
 libraries that are hosted all over the internet. Putting them together
 should improve the situation a lot.   RSS feeds would also be good. (ie
 new releases)
 
 Petr

There is an intent to updated dsource so that you can create repositories and see project activity... I don't really know what happened to that effort.
Jun 27 2010
parent "Nick Sabalausky" <a a.a> writes:
"Jesse Phillips" <jessekphillips+D gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:i07unh$fbg$3 digitalmars.com...
 On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 10:44:10 +0000, Petr wrote:

 What I meant is really something like github for D, which makes it
 easier to check upon activity(or lack of) of related projects and forks.
 D has a small community and a relatively small number of external
 libraries that are hosted all over the internet. Putting them together
 should improve the situation a lot.   RSS feeds would also be good. (ie
 new releases)

 Petr

There is an intent to updated dsource so that you can create repositories and see project activity... I don't really know what happened to that effort.

The updates (excluding automatic project creation, which, if I can help it, will hopefully be part of the following update) have been pretty much ready for a few months, but Brad (the guy in charge of the site) seems to [still...] be too busy to put it all live. So I don't now when that's going to happen.
Jun 27 2010
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Nick Sabalausky" <a a.a> writes:
"Daniel Keep" <daniel.keep.lists gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:i0783n$2dod$1 digitalmars.com...
 2) On top of this, I think the D community should have a RubyGems package
 manager equivalent written for D. As a Ruby user my self, this has 
 significant
 advantages that you can easily manage 3rd party libraries.

DSSS (http://dsource.org/projects/dsss/)

DSSS is pretty much abandoned, but there's been recent talk about starting up a new system (See the thread "Automatic library download plan").
Jun 27 2010
parent Petr <janda.petr gmail.com> writes:
Thats no good. I had a brief look at it and its said to work on D2 as well so i
had my hopes high.

Which kind of goes back to having a github type website(lets call it DHUB) for
all
important D projects, so that if someone wants to fork the project its ready and
there. A RubyGems type application could interface with DHUB to get requested
libraries (and dependencies).

Petr
Jun 28 2010
prev sibling parent reply Bernard Helyer <b.helyer gmail.com> writes:
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 20:11:08 +1000, Daniel Keep wrote:

 Petr wrote:
 Hi,
 
 I'm (reasonably) new to D, and I just bought the TDPL. (Thanks Andrei!)
 
 1) I think what would be good is github like website for D
 libraries/programs(It might even support SVN and Mercurial) and people
 should be encouraged to base their opensource D projects there

http://dsource.org/

dsource is down far too often; I haven't based any of my D projects there, preferring github, because of it.
Jun 27 2010
parent Ellery Newcomer <ellery-newcomer utulsa.edu> writes:
On 06/27/2010 05:30 PM, Bernard Helyer wrote:
 On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 20:11:08 +1000, Daniel Keep wrote:

 Petr wrote:
 Hi,

 I'm (reasonably) new to D, and I just bought the TDPL. (Thanks Andrei!)

 1) I think what would be good is github like website for D
 libraries/programs(It might even support SVN and Mercurial) and people
 should be encouraged to base their opensource D projects there

http://dsource.org/

dsource is down far too often; I haven't based any of my D projects there, preferring github, because of it.

Would be nice if you at least put a 'pointer' project on dsource
Jun 27 2010