digitalmars.D - Updated std.stdio

reply kinghajj <kinghajj_member pathlink.com> writes:
Nobody commented on my last post ("inputting functions for std.stdio"), so I'll
re-post it.

I've added new functions readf(), readfln(), freadf(), and freadfln() to
std.stdio.

readf() - reads a line from stdin, but does not include the newline
readfln() - reads a line from stdin, and includes the newline
freadf(FILE* fp) - reads a line from fp, but does not include the newline
freadfln(FILE* fp) - reads a line from fp, and includes the newline

The updated version is here: http://kinghajj.home.comcast.net/stdio.d
Aug 19 2004
next sibling parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle mathworks.com> writes:
some first impressions:
- the "f" in writef stands for "format" and since there isn't any format
involved in readf it should be called something else - like readLine or
getLine something...
- accepting a buffer to fill would be nice (see std.stream.readLine)

"kinghajj" <kinghajj_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cg2sdr$29lt$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Nobody commented on my last post ("inputting functions for std.stdio"), so
I'll
 re-post it.

 I've added new functions readf(), readfln(), freadf(), and freadfln() to
 std.stdio.

 readf() - reads a line from stdin, but does not include the newline
 readfln() - reads a line from stdin, and includes the newline
 freadf(FILE* fp) - reads a line from fp, but does not include the newline
 freadfln(FILE* fp) - reads a line from fp, and includes the newline

 The updated version is here: http://kinghajj.home.comcast.net/stdio.d
Aug 19 2004
parent reply kinghajj <kinghajj_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cg2tet$2ahv$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ben Hinkle says...
some first impressions:
- the "f" in writef stands for "format" and since there isn't any format
involved in readf it should be called something else - like readLine or
getLine something...
- accepting a buffer to fill would be nice (see std.stream.readLine)
That 'f' means format (I always wondered what that meant...)? Ok... but, readLine exists already... Accecpt a buffer: you mean like "read(buf)"? I think I could do that.
Aug 19 2004
parent kinghajj <kinghajj_member pathlink.com> writes:
I changed some things: I've removed the unneeded 'f's and I added new functions:

read(out char[] buf)
readln(out char[] buf)
fread(FILE *fp, out char[] buf)
freadln(FILE *fp, out char[] buf)

Fairly self-explanatory.

Again, it's here: http://kinghajj.home.comcast.net/stdio.d
Aug 19 2004
prev sibling parent Arcane Jill <Arcane_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cg2sdr$29lt$1 digitaldaemon.com>, kinghajj says...

I've added new functions readf(), readfln(), freadf(), and freadfln() to
std.stdio.

readf() - reads a line from stdin, but does not include the newline
readfln() - reads a line from stdin, and includes the newline
freadf(FILE* fp) - reads a line from fp, but does not include the newline
freadfln(FILE* fp) - reads a line from fp, and includes the newline
I had a look at the source file, but it wasn't clear to me how you decide what is or is not a newline. Anyway, for the record, in Unicode, any of the following should be accepted as "newline": U+000A (Carriage Return) U+000A U+000D (Carriage Return followed by Line Feed) U+000D (Line Feed) U+0085 (Next Line) U+2028 (Line Separator) U+2029 (Paragraph Separator) Also, when reading a line from a file, normally you don't care what kind of newline was used to terminate the line - however, sometimes you do, and therefore it might also be useful also to return that information somehow. Arcane Jill
Aug 19 2004