digitalmars.D - A D Book

reply kinghajj <kinghajj_member pathlink.com> writes:
Walter: do you ever plan on writing a book on D? K&R had "The C Programming
Language", Stroustrup had "The C++ Programming Language". Are you going to write
a "The D Programming Language"? It would be nice if you did :)
Aug 16 2004
"kinghajj" <kinghajj_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cfpvkd$22cc$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter: do you ever plan on writing a book on D? K&R had "The C
Programming
 Language", Stroustrup had "The C++ Programming Language". Are you going to
write
 a "The D Programming Language"? It would be nice if you did :)
Yes, it's just that I'm not a very good writer :-(
Aug 16 2004
next sibling parent reply kinghajj <kinghajj_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cfqt3v$2nem$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
Yes, it's just that I'm not a very good writer :-(
Nor are most of us... just try your best!
Aug 16 2004
next sibling parent reply Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
kinghajj schrieb:

 In article <cfqt3v$2nem$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...

Yes, it's just that I'm not a very good writer :-(
Nor are most of us... just try your best!
Just that Walter probably has better things to do. Like improving the language and the compiler. -eye
Aug 16 2004
parent kinghajj <kinghajj_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cfrd7n$bp$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ilya Minkov says...
kinghajj schrieb:

 In article <cfqt3v$2nem$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...

Yes, it's just that I'm not a very good writer :-(
Nor are most of us... just try your best!
Just that Walter probably has better things to do. Like improving the language and the compiler. -eye
True, so he probably shouldn't start until the 1.0 release.
Aug 16 2004
prev sibling parent reply Helmut Leitner <leitner hls.via.at> writes:
kinghajj wrote:

 In article <cfqt3v$2nem$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
Yes, it's just that I'm not a very good writer :-(
Nor are most of us... just try your best!
I think it would be better to spread the load among different persons. A professional author (like Matthew for example) can do it much easier and without negative effects on language development and support. The problem is perhaps that the language must be stable, otherwise this "language bible" is quickly outdated. There should also be program examples for all important application areas to let D really shine. -- Helmut Leitner leitner hls.via.at Graz, Austria www.hls-software.com
Aug 17 2004
next sibling parent reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Helmut Leitner" <leitner hls.via.at> wrote in message
news:412200EF.42A6A05B hls.via.at...
 I think it would be better to spread the load among different persons.

 A professional author (like Matthew for example) can do it much easier
 and without negative effects on language development and support.

 The problem is perhaps that the language must be stable, otherwise
 this "language bible" is quickly outdated.

 There should also be program examples for all important application
 areas to let D really shine.
For me also, writing articles and books always reminds me of writing term papers back in college. Not my favorite task <g>. Matthew and I have written some articles about D and they've been published in CUJ and DDJ. I have another one pending with DDJ. But there's nothing stopping anyone here from writing articles about D. I know I'm a little weary of reading articles about C++, so much ground has been repeatedly covered by articles that newer articles seem to be mostly about esoterica, not much of interest to mainstream C++ coding. But the article space for D is vast, unexplored territory, and fertile ground for articles. And CUJ and DDJ actually pay money for articles! Their editorial staffs have indicated to me they are very receptive to articles about D. Many of you are expert D programmers and are experts at particular kinds of D programming applications. Writing articles about your products would be straightforward, such as articles about unicode programming, gui programming, threading, templates, etc. How about it?
Aug 17 2004
next sibling parent reply "antiAlias" <fu bar.com> writes:
"Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:cftrke$1fg1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Many of you are expert D programmers and are experts at particular kinds
of
 D programming applications. Writing articles about your products would be
 straightforward, such as articles about unicode programming, gui
 programming, threading, templates, etc. How about it?
How about one regarding the efficiency benefits of array-slicing? I might be able to cobble something together based on results from mango.http.server & mango.servlet (once 'primed', they make zero memory-allocations ~ the GC simply never runs).
Aug 17 2004
next sibling parent "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
news:cfu04n$1hq7$1 digitaldaemon.com...
&
 mango.servlet (once 'primed', they make zero memory-allocations ~ the GC
 simply never runs).
I think that has potential to be a great article!
Aug 17 2004
prev sibling parent reply Sha Chancellor <schancel pacific.net> writes:
In article <cfu04n$1hq7$1 digitaldaemon.com>, "antiAlias" <fu bar.com>
wrote:

 "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in message
 news:cftrke$1fg1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Many of you are expert D programmers and are experts at particular kinds
of
 D programming applications. Writing articles about your products would be
 straightforward, such as articles about unicode programming, gui
 programming, threading, templates, etc. How about it?
How about one regarding the efficiency benefits of array-slicing? I might be able to cobble something together based on results from mango.http.server & mango.servlet (once 'primed', they make zero memory-allocations ~ the GC simply never runs).
I'm a little confused about array slicing still. Does it make a copy of the data? Or is it just a pointer to the innards of another array and a length? If so, I can see how this would be a huge performance advantage. I once wrote a parser that would read the file into memory, and make little copies of the data it needed from the database all over. Really silly. Then I re-implemented it with "slicing" basically. I destroyed the byte prior to the data with the length of the data and stored a pointer to it in my index. Basically making a bunch of pascal strings. The speed increase was outrageous.
Aug 18 2004
Sha Chancellor schrieb:

 I'm a little confused about array slicing still.   Does it make a copy
 of the data?  Or is it just a pointer to the innards of another array
 and a length?
As opposed to Python, slicing never makes a copy of the data, it just creates another pointer. But be aware that concatenation always copies. -eye
Aug 18 2004
"Ilya Minkov" <minkov cs.tum.edu> wrote in message
news:cg0dvd$ve3$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Sha Chancellor schrieb:

 I'm a little confused about array slicing still.   Does it make a copy
 of the data?  Or is it just a pointer to the innards of another array
 and a length?
As opposed to Python, slicing never makes a copy of the data, it just creates another pointer. But be aware that concatenation always copies.
That's right.
Aug 18 2004
prev sibling parent "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Sha Chancellor" <schancel pacific.net> wrote in message
news:schancel-484B81.09180718082004 digitalmars.com...
 I'm a little confused about array slicing still.   Does it make a copy
 of the data?
No.
  Or is it just a pointer to the innards of another array
 and a length?
Yes. It explicitly does not copy.
 If so, I can see how this would be a huge performance advantage.  I once
 wrote a parser that would read the file into memory, and make little
 copies of the data it needed from the database all over.  Really silly.
Yup.
 Then I re-implemented it with "slicing" basically. I destroyed the byte
 prior to the data with the length of the data and stored a pointer to it
 in my index.  Basically making a bunch of pascal strings.  The speed
 increase was outrageous.
Yup <g>. One neato thing about gc is it makes slicing practical. So, while gc can sometimes be slower, your app can overall be sped up quite a bit. This issue is poorly understood, and so would make a great article.
Aug 18 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Matthew" <admin.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
[...]

I'll be happy to review D articles. And I'd even be prepared to co-author some, as long as it would be a true division of labour, rather than me just doing it all. ;) Matthew
Aug 17 2004
prev sibling parent reply Deja Augustine <Deja_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cftrke$1fg1$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
[...]

Out of curiosity, how does one go about sumitting articles to CUJ or DDJ? -Deja
Aug 17 2004
next sibling parent reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Deja Augustine" <Deja_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cfum32$21ab$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Out of curiosity, how does one go about sumitting articles to CUJ or DDJ?
I just email it to them, with a subject line "Article Submission".
Aug 17 2004
parent Blue <Blue_member pathlink.com> writes:
That might work for Walter ;) , but for others theirs usually a section in the
magazine on how to submit articles, each month has a topic etc, must be word
document ... dont quote me on that but you get the gist, its near the end
usually.

Blue

In article <cfumqr$21uq$2 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
prev sibling parent "Matthew" <admin.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
[...]

You'll need a proposal, which should be a couple of paragraphs saying what's interesting and/or unique about your etc. Since I'm wildly overexposed in both those mags, I have some experience with the process. If you want to fire a proposal across my bows before you submit it, that's perfectly fine with me. :) -- Matthew Wilson Author: "Imperfect C++", Addison-Wesley, 2004 (http://www.imperfectcplusplus.com) Contributing editor, C/C++ Users Journal (http://www.synesis.com.au/articles.html#columns) Director, Synesis Software (www.synesis.com.au) STLSoft moderator (http://www.stlsoft.org) "Youth ages, Immaturity is outgrown, Ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered. But stupid lasts forever", Aristophenes -----------------------------------------------------
Aug 17 2004
 kinghajj wrote:
 In article <cfqt3v$2nem$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
Yes, it's just that I'm not a very good writer :-(
Nor are most of us... just try your best!
I think it would be better to spread the load among different persons. A professional author (like Matthew for example) can do it much easier and without negative effects on language development and support.
Well, I don't think it's a state secret that Walter and I are going to be writing a book on D in the non-too distant future. We just need to (i) get the time and (ii) ensure that the language is sufficiently mature and stable such that the book is not outdated (as Helmut sagely observes below)
 The problem is perhaps that the language must be stable, otherwise
 this "language bible" is quickly outdated.

 There should also be program examples for all important application
 areas to let D really shine.
Good point.
Aug 17 2004
parent reply kinghajj <kinghajj_member pathlink.com> writes:
"Helmut Leitner" <leitner hls.via.at> wrote in message
news:412200EF.42A6A05B hls.via.at...
 A professional author (like Matthew for example) ...
Really? What books have you written, Matthew?
Aug 17 2004
next sibling parent reply "Matthew" <admin.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
"kinghajj" <kinghajj_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cfu9br$1lmj$1 digitaldaemon.com...
"Helmut Leitner" <leitner hls.via.at> wrote in message
news:412200EF.42A6A05B hls.via.at...
 A professional author (like Matthew for example) ...
Really? What books have you written, Matthew?
Well, the term "professional author" is Helmut's term, not mine. Nonetheless, I have been doing a lot of writing over the last couple of years. Check out http://www.synesis.com.au/articles.html. My first published book, "Imperfect C++", is out on Sept 9th (http://www.imperfectcplusplus.com/, http://www.awprofessional.com/titles/0321228774/). I am working on three other books, one of which isn't about C++. You guess what language ...
Aug 17 2004
parent kinghajj <kinghajj_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cfu9ip$1lpv$2 digitaldaemon.com>, Matthew says...
"kinghajj" <kinghajj_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cfu9br$1lmj$1 digitaldaemon.com...
"Helmut Leitner" <leitner hls.via.at> wrote in message
news:412200EF.42A6A05B hls.via.at...
 A professional author (like Matthew for example) ...
Really? What books have you written, Matthew?
Well, the term "professional author" is Helmut's term, not mine. Nonetheless, I have been doing a lot of writing over the last couple of years. Check out http://www.synesis.com.au/articles.html. My first published book, "Imperfect C++", is out on Sept 9th (http://www.imperfectcplusplus.com/, http://www.awprofessional.com/titles/0321228774/). I am working on three other books, one of which isn't about C++. You guess what language ...
Great! The day a D programming book is on the shelves at B&N will be a great day.
Aug 17 2004
prev sibling parent reply John Reimer <brk_6502 NOSP_AM.yahoo.com> writes:
kinghajj wrote:

"Helmut Leitner" <leitner hls.via.at> wrote in message
news:412200EF.42A6A05B hls.via.at...
A professional author (like Matthew for example) ...
Really? What books have you written, Matthew?
AHHH! You had to ask him that question! <g> Just ribbing you, Matthew ;-)
Aug 17 2004
parent "Matthew" <admin.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
"John Reimer" <brk_6502 NOSP_AM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:cfuqat$22tq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 kinghajj wrote:

"Helmut Leitner" <leitner hls.via.at> wrote in message
news:412200EF.42A6A05B hls.via.at...
A professional author (like Matthew for example) ...
Really? What books have you written, Matthew?
AHHH! You had to ask him that question! <g> Just ribbing you, Matthew ;-)
Consider me ribbed. :)
Aug 17 2004
prev sibling parent reply Chris S. <Chris_member pathlink.com> writes:
Better title:

"The D Programming Language... seriously."

-Chris S.
-Invironz

In article <cfqt3v$2nem$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
"kinghajj" <kinghajj_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cfpvkd$22cc$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter: do you ever plan on writing a book on D? K&R had "The C
Programming
 Language", Stroustrup had "The C++ Programming Language". Are you going to
write
 a "The D Programming Language"? It would be nice if you did :)
Yes, it's just that I'm not a very good writer :-(
Aug 16 2004
parent reply kinghajj <kinghajj_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cfr625$2sul$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Chris S. says...
Better title:

"The D Programming Language... seriously."
No, no. no: "The D Programming Language ... Don't Laugh! Check it out!".
Aug 16 2004
parent Gold Dragon <dragonwing dragonu.net> writes:
"D Programming Language in yo Mo fo face! Bitch!" or something.

It isn't funny but to me it is and sorry to anyone it may or may not have
offended.

kinghajj wrote:
 In article <cfr625$2sul$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Chris S. says...

Better title:

"The D Programming Language... seriously."
No, no. no: "The D Programming Language ... Don't Laugh! Check it out!".
Aug 22 2004