www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Suggestion

reply "Chr. Grade" <tickle everymail.net> writes:
What about also making possible to inline assemble this way:

   asm rol foo, 3;
   asm < ... >
   asm < ... >

rather than only:

   asm {

     rol bar, 3;
     < ... >
   }
May 09 2004
parent reply J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
Chr. Grade wrote:
 
 What about also making possible to inline assemble this way:
 
   asm rol foo, 3;
   asm < ... >
   asm < ... >
 
 rather than only:
 
   asm {
 
     rol bar, 3;
     < ... >
   }

Do you use a lot of one-line assembly blocks? Are the braces that much of a burden? Try this: asm {rol foo, 3;} asm { ... } asm { ... } -- Justin (a/k/a jcc7) http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
May 09 2004
parent reply "Chr. Grade" <tickle everymail.net> writes:
Too much of a burden, indeed. I like the alternative GCC way.
asm {ror foo, 3;} is ugly, isn't it?
And code blocks, where every line begins with 'asm', look more puritanical.

J C Calvarese wrote:
 Do you use a lot of one-line assembly blocks?  Are the braces that much
 of a burden?

 Try this:
    asm {rol foo, 3;}
    asm { ... }
    asm { ... }

 Chr. Grade wrote:
 
 What about also making possible to inline assemble this way:

   asm rol foo, 3;
   asm < ... >
   asm < ... >

 rather than only:

   asm {

     rol bar, 3;
     < ... >
   }


May 10 2004
parent reply "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown at.simplemachines.dot.org> writes:
Chr. Grade wrote:

 Too much of a burden, indeed. I like the alternative GCC way.
 asm {ror foo, 3;} is ugly, isn't it?
 And code blocks, where every line begins with 'asm', look more puritanical.

http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?puritanical I'm sorry, I just don't understand. Anyhow, why is this a plus? Example: if (true) annoying(); if (true) annoying(); if (true) annoying(); if (true) annoying(); Versus: if (true) { notAsAnnoying(); notAsAnnoying(); notAsAnnoying(); notAsAnnoying(); } It also makes code harder to type, harder to copy and paste, uglier imho, and... ermm... well, i just don't like it. I like my assembly clean ;). -[Unknown]
May 11 2004
parent John Reimer <brk_6502 NOSP_AM.yahoo.com> writes:
Unknown W. Brackets wrote:
 Chr. Grade wrote:
 
 Too much of a burden, indeed. I like the alternative GCC way.
 asm {ror foo, 3;} is ugly, isn't it?
 And code blocks, where every line begins with 'asm', look more 
 puritanical.

http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?puritanical I'm sorry, I just don't understand.

I think the idea he's getting across is "rigid" or "non-flexible." Perhaps this doesn't qualify as a moral issue, but I get his drift. :-)
May 11 2004