digitalmars.D - Poll -- how many people use Interfaces in D?

reply "Kris" <someidiot earthlink.dot.dot.dot.net> writes:
I think this would be really interesting to know! Simply replying will count
you in. If you use them pretty extensively, please add a ### distinguishing
mark (or something).

Thanks much.

###
Jul 24 2004
next sibling parent reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Kris wrote:

I think this would be really interesting to know! Simply replying will count
you in. If you use them pretty extensively, please add a ### distinguishing
mark (or something).

Thanks much.

###

guess your talking about an advanced interface. I use DIDE. -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Jul 24 2004
parent reply John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
I think this would be really interesting to know! Simply replying will
count you in. If you use them pretty extensively, please add a ###
distinguishing mark (or something).

Thanks much.

###

guess your talking about an advanced interface. I use DIDE.

No, I think he's referring to D's "interface" keyword. How many people make use of interfaces in D in their normal OO programming practice?
Jul 24 2004
next sibling parent reply "Kris" <someidiot earthlink.dot.dot.dot.net> writes:
Yes; the "interface" keyword is what I meant. Thanks John.

"John Reimer" wrote..

Kris wrote:

Yes; the "interface" keyword is what I meant. Thanks John.

"John Reimer" wrote..

No, I think he's referring to D's "interface" keyword.  How many people
make use of interfaces in D in their normal OO programming practice?

# -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Jul 24 2004
parent "Matthew" <admin.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
"J Anderson" <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> wrote in message
news:cdv3oi$1g1m$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Kris wrote:

Yes; the "interface" keyword is what I meant. Thanks John.

"John Reimer" wrote..

No, I think he's referring to D's "interface" keyword.  How many people
make use of interfaces in D in their normal OO programming practice?

#

I do, but not to the degree to which I imagine prompted Kris' recent musings #
Jul 24 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Jan Bendtsen <dimon controlREMOVEME.aau.dk> writes:
John Reimer wrote:
I think this would be really interesting to know! Simply replying will
count you in. If you use them pretty extensively, please add a ###
distinguishing mark (or something).

Thanks much.

###

Everyone has to use an interface to use D. Notepad is an interface. I guess your talking about an advanced interface. I use DIDE.

No, I think he's referring to D's "interface" keyword. How many people make use of interfaces in D in their normal OO programming practice?

I think J was trying to make a joke ;-) Anyways, I use interfaces as much as I can get away with (which is not much yet, as I haven't written so much actual D code yet, I admit). As an aside, I'm with Kris on the interface/class inheritance issue. I think Vathix made a very good point a bit earlier about the whole thing being an issue that stems from C++-style multiple inheritance... but D doesn't have multiple inheritance, so it seems to me that the Java approach is the more appropriate way to go. Cheers, Jan
Jul 25 2004
prev sibling parent Berin Loritsch <bloritsch d-haven.org> writes:
John Reimer wrote:

I think this would be really interesting to know! Simply replying will
count you in. If you use them pretty extensively, please add a ###
distinguishing mark (or something).

Thanks much.

###

Everyone has to use an interface to use D. Notepad is an interface. I guess your talking about an advanced interface. I use DIDE.

No, I think he's referring to D's "interface" keyword. How many people make use of interfaces in D in their normal OO programming practice?

I don't have a normal "D" programming practice--I'm new to the language. However I make use of the interface concept regularly in OO programming. This is affectionately known as the "Bridge Pattern" in GoF speak. In C++ I have to resort to a pure virtual abstract class to represent the interface, but I wouldn't consider a language modern if it did not support it. So count me as a ######### Yes, I use interfaces all the time.
Jul 26 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <cdv28j$1fbe$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Kris says...
I think this would be really interesting to know! Simply replying will count
you in. If you use them pretty extensively, please add a ### distinguishing
mark (or something).

I do. If I'm going to build an inheritance tree then I'm likely to do so with interfaces and then build classes in where appropriate. The new stream stuff I've done that will be released someday works this way. Sean
Jul 24 2004
###.  I love interfaces.

prev sibling next sibling parent Hauke Duden <H.NS.Duden gmx.net> writes:
Kris wrote:
 I think this would be really interesting to know! Simply replying will count
 you in. If you use them pretty extensively, please add a ### distinguishing
 mark (or something).

 Thanks much.

 ###

I use them all the time. ### Hauke
Jul 25 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Vathix" <vathixSpamFix dprogramming.com> writes:
#:)
Jul 25 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Arcane Jill <Arcane_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cdv28j$1fbe$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Kris says...
I think this would be really interesting to know

Not yet, but I certainly think I will be in the future. Arcane Jill
Jul 25 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Blandger" <zeroman aport.ru> writes:
"Kris" <someidiot earthlink.dot.dot.dot.net> wrote in message
news:cdv28j$1fbe$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I think this would be really interesting to know! Simply replying will

 you in. If you use them pretty extensively, please add a ###

 mark (or something).

### I'm always try to introduce some specific functionality in the architecture using interfaces (from my experience of Java).
Jul 25 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent X <X_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cdv28j$1fbe$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Kris says...
I think this would be really interesting to know! Simply replying will count
you in. If you use them pretty extensively, please add a ### distinguishing
mark (or something).

Thanks much.

###

## , I try to use them where appropriate. C
Jul 25 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
i don't use them in D, simply because i don't do much D programming, and
because i never used them in C++!  though i really like the concept of them,
but i'm not quite clear on just what situations i'd use them in.  :)
Jul 25 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Charles Hixson <charleshixsn earthlink.net> writes:
Kris wrote:
 .... If you use them pretty extensively, please add a ### distinguishing
 mark (or something).

### How can one not? Multiple inheritance is pretty much necessary, and interfaces are the only implementation of that in D. (I much prefer Eiffel's approach...but I'm not writing the compiler.)
Jul 25 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Jaap Geurts <Jaap_member pathlink.com> writes:
I certainly do. That is a big important aspect of OO programming.

###

Jaap
In article <cdv28j$1fbe$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Kris says...

I think this

you in. If you

mark (or

Thanks much.

###

Jul 25 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Kris wrote:

 I think this would be really interesting to know! Simply replying will count
 you in. If you use them pretty extensively, please add a ### distinguishing
 mark (or something).

I've used them a little. E.g. in the clipboard stuff I was writing last week for SDWF 0.3. Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox, aside from its being the unfortunate victim of intensive mail-bombing at the moment. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Jul 26 2004
prev sibling parent reply Arcane Jill <Arcane_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cdv28j$1fbe$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Kris says...

This isn't much of a "poll", you know, despite the thread title. Most real polls
have an "against" option as well as a "for" option. Otherwise it's like saying
"We interviewed some unspecified number of people, and 531 of them said they
like cheese". And this means...?

I think this would be really interesting to know! Simply replying will count
you in.

Then how does anyone get counted OUT? Or are you assuming that everyone who didn't reply doesn't use interfaces? But then, how do you know how many people didn't reply? Are you counting lurkers or just regular posters? What if they're on holiday? Why not stick a /real/ poll on a Yahoo group or something, and invite us all to vote in it. I agree with you that the answer would be "really interesting to know". I just don't think you're going to find that answer on this thread. Jill
Jul 26 2004
Arcane Jill wrote:

 In article <cdv28j$1fbe$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Kris says...

 This isn't much of a "poll", you know, despite the thread title. Most real
polls
 have an "against" option as well as a "for" option. Otherwise it's like saying
 "We interviewed some unspecified number of people, and 531 of them said they
 like cheese". And this means...?

That it's a petition. Except that most petitions request a course of action.... Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox, aside from its being the unfortunate victim of intensive mail-bombing at the moment. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Jul 26 2004