digitalmars.D - [Off-topic] I'm back

reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Finally got my internet setup and this is one of the first places I went.

Finally finished and submitted my 250page (reduced from 450pages)
honours thesis on Hidden Surface Removal using D for the 3d engine for
review. The title is "View Space Linking, Solid Node Compression and
Binary Space Partitioning for Visibility Determination in 3D
walk-throughs". However, sorry fokes, although D is a language that is
used, it is not about D.

Although it was not finished enough for me when I was forced to handed
it in and I didn't have time to write about my results. Still if your
interested in HSR, it covers everything and provides some new ideas and
algorithms. Anyway here's the abstract:

"Today’s 3D game consumers are expecting more and more quality in their
computer games. To enable high quality graphics at interactive rates,
game programmers employ a technique known as hidden surface removal
(HSR) or polygon culling. HSR is not just applicable to games; it can
also be applied to any application that requires quality and interactive
rates, including medical, military and building applications. One such
commonly used technique for HSR is the binary space partition (BSP)
tree, which is used for 3D “walk-throughs” otherwise known as 3D static
environments or first person shooters. Recent developments in 3D
accelerated hardware technology (AHT) do not mean that HSR is becoming
redundant; in fact, HSR is increasingly becoming more important to the
graphics pipeline. This study sets out to explore how current BSP tree
HSR algorithms can be improved using View Space Linking, Solid Node
Compression and hardware accelerated occlusion."

As to my other happenings, work (bluetongue games company) is great. I
feel like Harry Potter (the fictional character not the reporter ;) )
going to magic school. Lots for me to learn and lots of magic to
perform. The guys there are great and work together very well. It really
is my dream job. The game I'm working on - I can't say yet as its a secret.

On the down side of things is that because I'm not a student anymore I
have a lot less time on my hands.

So what's new with D since I've left?

Matthew where can I order your book?

--
-Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Jul 10 2004
parent reply "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
"J Anderson" <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> wrote in message
news:cco8m3$2d2m$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Can't comment on anyone else's work. Been too busy myself for a while. I've 944 messages to catch up on. I know that Walter'll be putting my std.perf lib in soon. I've been working on a new structured configuration file library as part of some other work, and plan to write a mapping for D very soon. And then, there's DTL, of course, which I am looking forward to getting stuck into next week.
 Matthew where can I order your book?
Assuming you mean "Imperfect C++", it'll be available from Addison-Wesley and Amazon from 9th September. Put http://imperfectcplusplus.com in your bookmarks; they're reference from there. Glad there's some interest. :-) If you mean the D book, that's going to be a while longer ... Cheers, and welcome back Matthew
Jul 10 2004
next sibling parent reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Matthew wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the update.

Matthew where can I order your book?

Assuming you mean "Imperfect C++", it'll be available from Addison-Wesley and Amazon from 9th September. Put http://imperfectcplusplus.com in your bookmarks; they're reference from there. Glad there's some interest. :-) If you mean the D book, that's going to be a while longer ...
Nar I didn't, I don't expect you to have the D book done for a long time. If you decided to do it at all.
Cheers, and welcome back

Matthew

-- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Jul 10 2004
parent reply "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
"J Anderson" <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> wrote in message
news:ccoqqf$b3v$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Matthew wrote:

[...]

We're definitely doing it. But it'll be awhile: there's a delicate balancing act between D 1.0, writing time, writing the D compiler, having a real life, etc. etc.:-)
Jul 10 2004
parent reply teqDruid <me teqdruid.com> writes:
 We're definitely doing it. But it'll be awhile: there's a delicate
 balancing act between D 1.0, writing time, writing the D compiler, having
 a real life, etc. etc.:-)
What is this "real life" you speak of?
Jul 10 2004
parent "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
"teqDruid" <me teqdruid.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2004.07.10.20.22.36.860393 teqdruid.com...
 We're definitely doing it. But it'll be awhile: there's a delicate
 balancing act between D 1.0, writing time, writing the D compiler, having
 a real life, etc. etc.:-)
What is this "real life" you speak of?
Sleeping, leaving the house, seeing the sun, talking to other human beings in person. That kind of stuff ...
Jul 10 2004

BTW: Nice cover. -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Jul 10 2004
parent reply "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
"J Anderson" <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> wrote in message
news:ccor46$b3v$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 Matthew wrote:

Matthew where can I order your book?
Assuming you mean "Imperfect C++", it'll be available from Addison-Wesley and Amazon from 9th September. Put http://imperfectcplusplus.com in your
bookmarks;
they're reference from there. Glad there's some interest. :-)

If you mean the D book, that's going to be a while longer ...

Cheers, and welcome back

Matthew
BTW: Nice cover.
Cheers, mate. btw, congrats on the job. Is it a C++ shop? If so, I know this great library ... ;) I'm finally getting back to some real work myself in a couple of weeks.
Jul 10 2004

Matthew wrote:

Matthew where can I order your book?

Assuming you mean "Imperfect C++", it'll be available from Addison-Wesley and Amazon from 9th September. Put http://imperfectcplusplus.com in your
bookmarks;
they're reference from there. Glad there's some interest. :-)

If you mean the D book, that's going to be a while longer ...

Cheers, and welcome back

Matthew

BTW: Nice cover.
Cheers, mate. btw, congrats on the job. Is it a C++ shop? If so, I know this great library ... ;) I'm finally getting back to some real work myself in a couple of weeks.
Yeah C++ but they have there own inhouse library for stl type things. -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Jul 10 2004