digitalmars.D - Antlr D grammar

reply Charlie <Charlie_member pathlink.com> writes:
Im going to start on a D grammar for antlr, does anyone use antlr ?  Its my
first time and would appreciate the experienced help :).  After that we could
get antlr to generate D code!

Thanks,
Charlie
Jun 29 2004
next sibling parent reply Stephan Wienczny <Stephan Wienczny.de> writes:
Charlie wrote:
 Im going to start on a D grammar for antlr, does anyone use antlr ?  Its my
 first time and would appreciate the experienced help :).  After that we could
 get antlr to generate D code!

 Thanks,
 Charlie

I investigated into that direction. Terence Parr (the one who writes antlr) told me that he started a new tool which will make supporting new languages easier. You should a a look at grammatica (http://www.nongnu.org/grammatica). Its syntax is better. I've "composed" an EBNF Grammar for D, but it's not finished. Does anybody know a good tool that supports you creating one?
Jun 29 2004
next sibling parent reply Charlie <Charlie_member pathlink.com> writes:
I've "composed" an EBNF Grammar for D, but it's not finished.
Sweet! Care to share ? Or coordinate efforts ?
Does anybody know a good tool that supports you creating one?
Not I, been trying to compose one by hand ( I also have Seiber's yacc gramar if u like ), but currently im struggling with attributes. Charlie In article <cbt3si$hnu$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Stephan Wienczny says...
Charlie wrote:
 Im going to start on a D grammar for antlr, does anyone use antlr ?  Its my
 first time and would appreciate the experienced help :).  After that we could
 get antlr to generate D code!

 Thanks,
 Charlie

I investigated into that direction. Terence Parr (the one who writes antlr) told me that he started a new tool which will make supporting new languages easier. You should a a look at grammatica (http://www.nongnu.org/grammatica). Its syntax is better. I've "composed" an EBNF Grammar for D, but it's not finished. Does anybody know a good tool that supports you creating one?
Jun 30 2004
parent reply Charlie <Charlie_member pathlink.com> writes:
I usually like to compile as I go , so I know it works, but I think Im just
going to copy the grammar off DMD and work it out later, anyone know how
complete it is ?

Charlie

In article <cc08mm$2rbk$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Charlie says...
Charlie wrote:
 Im going to start on a D grammar for antlr, does anyone use antlr ?  Its my
 first time and would appreciate the experienced help :).  After that we could
 get antlr to generate D code!

 Thanks,
 Charlie

I investigated into that direction. Terence Parr (the one who writes antlr) told me that he started a new tool which will make supporting new languages easier. You should a a look at grammatica (http://www.nongnu.org/grammatica). Its syntax is better. I've "composed" an EBNF Grammar for D, but it's not finished. Does anybody know a good tool that supports you creating one?
Jul 01 2004
parent "Ivan Senji" <ivan.senji public.srce.hr> writes:
"Charlie" <Charlie_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cc1da1$1lio$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I usually like to compile as I go , so I know it works, but I think Im
just
 going to copy the grammar off DMD and work it out later, anyone know how
 complete it is ?
Quite uncomplete unfortunatelly! There are a lot of productions missing :(

Charlie wrote:
 Im going to start on a D grammar for antlr, does anyone use antlr ?  Its my
 first time and would appreciate the experienced help :).  After that we could
 get antlr to generate D code!

 Thanks,
 Charlie

I investigated into that direction. Terence Parr (the one who writes antlr) told me that he started a new tool which will make supporting new languages easier. You should a a look at grammatica (http://www.nongnu.org/grammatica). Its syntax is better. I've "composed" an EBNF Grammar for D, but it's not finished. Does anybody know a good tool that supports you creating one?
Jul 05 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Alex Besogonov" <alexy izh.com> writes:
Good <time-of-day>!

"Charlie" <Charlie_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cbst9p$8ph$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Im going to start on a D grammar for antlr, does anyone use antlr ?  Its
my
 first time and would appreciate the experienced help :).  After that we
could
 get antlr to generate D code!
Yes, I'm going to use Antlr for parser and syntax tree builder. It seems it's the best tool with C++ support out there. -- With respect, Alex Besogonov (alexy izh.com)
Jun 30 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Ivan Senji" <ivan.senji public.srce.hr> writes:
"Charlie" <Charlie_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cbst9p$8ph$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Im going to start on a D grammar for antlr, does anyone use antlr ?  Its
my
 first time and would appreciate the experienced help :).  After that we
could
 get antlr to generate D code!
Great! I started writing up D's grammar a couple of times but i allways got into problems because i'm not very good at this. Can't wait to see what you write! Can you please post it here when it is done :)
 Thanks,
 Charlie
Jun 30 2004
prev sibling parent Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Hmm.... i was already going to do a complete port of COCO/R to D,
meaning first the output and then the compiler. Never got to it though.
I believe COCO/R is a predecessor of ANTLR but it's tiny, simple, fast,
and very easy to use. Any interest? COCO/R was originally written in

Drawback: the parsers generated are non-reentrant, IIRC - though it's
nothing a cold shower cannot change.

-eye