digitalmars.D - [OT] Auto code reformating / one coding style enforcment.

reply Dawid =?UTF-8?B?Q2nEmcW8YXJraWV3aWN6?= <dawid.ciezarkiewicz gmail.com> writes:
This is *not* proposition of D change. Only free concept that I wish to
share with D users.

Most of the time of my coding work I'm dealing with code that I didn't
wrote. What is most irritating is when I just can't reformat code using
indent or astyle because I need to work on little change and produce diff
that will fit into original repository. And sometimes code is completely
mess - I don't care if someone likes breaking brackets here and there,
but ... I thing you all know what I'm talking about.

My thoughts are always like this: why creators of C language allowed people
to format code freely? Wouldn't world be a better place if languages would
enforce their one-true-coding-style? If there would be no choice there
would be no reason to argue.

"If I'd write my own language ..." (don't get it too serious - it's only
hypothetical ;-) ) there would be no way to code same code in two different
ways (except of identifier names, comments and such ...). There would be
one standard and compiler would enforce it - throwing errors about code
formating or even reformat code in the fly if asked to (optional switch or
something like that).

The users would have to adopt to code in such language - get used to one
coding style, which probably wouldn't be what they were doing before in
every aspect, but ...

... after some time they would discover that when they look at someone else
code in that language - there is no difference. Working with patch/diff
tools is nicer, reading code pleasure is bigger. Everything is better ...

Python code tries to enforce coding style rules - I like that aspect of it.
What I don't like is not enforcing to use tabs for indentation and which is
even worse - not enforcing on _any_ standard about indentation, only to be
consistent in whole source file. Except that I'm not aware of any language
(except Whitespace ;-) ) that do something similar. Have anybody even
tried? Did such language succeed?

What do you think?
Aug 12 2006
next sibling parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Dawid Ciezarkiewicz" <dawid.ciezarkiewicz gmail.com> wrote in message
news:eblf6h$1vo6$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Most of the time of my coding work I'm dealing with code that I didn't
 wrote. What is most irritating is when I just can't reformat code using
 indent or astyle because I need to work on little change and produce diff
 that will fit into original repository. And sometimes code is completely
 mess - I don't care if someone likes breaking brackets here and there,
 but ... I thing you all know what I'm talking about.

 My thoughts are always like this: why creators of C language allowed
 people
 to format code freely? Wouldn't world be a better place if languages would
 enforce their one-true-coding-style? If there would be no choice there
 would be no reason to argue.
I always thought it'd be cool if there were an IDE which could read in code, parse it into tokens, then display the tokens in any format you wished, and you could change things like indentation, spacing, bracket styles etc. Then when you saved, it'd write it back out as a text file. Of course, like you said, when dealing with things like diffs for repositories, you can't really do that..
 "If I'd write my own language ..." (don't get it too serious - it's only
 hypothetical ;-) ) there would be no way to code same code in two
 different
 ways (except of identifier names, comments and such ...). There would be
 one standard and compiler would enforce it - throwing errors about code
 formating or even reformat code in the fly if asked to (optional switch or
 something like that).

 The users would have to adopt to code in such language - get used to one
 coding style, which probably wouldn't be what they were doing before in
 every aspect, but ...

 ... after some time they would discover that when they look at someone
 else
 code in that language - there is no difference. Working with patch/diff
 tools is nicer, reading code pleasure is bigger. Everything is better ...
Most Basic languages are pretty much this way. Whitespace and newlines are a lot more significant, and as such, you can pretty much only write constructs one way.
 Python code tries to enforce coding style rules - I like that aspect of
 it.
 What I don't like is not enforcing to use tabs for indentation and which
 is
 even worse - not enforcing on _any_ standard about indentation, only to be
 consistent in whole source file. Except that I'm not aware of any language
 (except Whitespace ;-) ) that do something similar. Have anybody even
 tried? Did such language succeed?

 What do you think?
I think you're on target with the idea that it's stupid to have such a freeform language style. All that happens is everyone develops their own styles and everyone gets into religious debates about which is better. In other words, it's a lot of argument over nothing. What seems to be the most common solution to this problem is that programming teams / companies will often adopt a single coding style. To this end, it would be very useful if there were a "dtidy" tool that everyone would have to run on their code before submitting it to everyone else. This tool would optimally be powerful on its own, but with scriptability so that really obscure coding styles (like lining up braces with the left paren of the owning construct.. wtf) could still be generated. Or, this tool would just look at the input and complain if it doesn't match the given coding style spec. Kind of like a style lint tool. Oh, and spaces should die. Hard tabs for LIFE.
Aug 12 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply kris <foo bar.com> writes:
Dawid Ciężarkiewicz wrote:
 This is *not* proposition of D change. Only free concept that I wish to
 share with D users.

 Most of the time of my coding work I'm dealing with code that I didn't
 wrote. What is most irritating is when I just can't reformat code using
 indent or astyle because I need to work on little change and produce diff
 that will fit into original repository. And sometimes code is completely
 mess - I don't care if someone likes breaking brackets here and there,
 but ... I thing you all know what I'm talking about.

 My thoughts are always like this: why creators of C language allowed people
 to format code freely? Wouldn't world be a better place if languages would
 enforce their one-true-coding-style? If there would be no choice there
 would be no reason to argue.
lol ... because there would never be a unanimous concensus on what that format should be ;D You may recall the beating Fortran took because of the need to place variable-decls on the sixth column only (or something like that). Python uses syntactically significant indentation (for blocks), instead of braces. Because of that, the language attracts a lot of flack from various quarters.
[...]

As long as anyone considers writing code to be an "expression" or "art form", to any degree, the notion of a single writing format (upon which everyone will agree) is doomed to failure :) There have been strict rules regarding the use of grammar, prose, and sentence structure for centuries ... yet, it seems those are abandoned on an accelerating basis :p
Aug 12 2006
parent reply renox <renosky free.fr> writes:
kris wrote:
 Python uses syntactically significant indentation (for blocks), instead
 of braces. Because of that, the language attracts a lot of flack from
 various quarters.
Note that one reason that Python get some flacks as dawid ciezarkiewicz rightly put it is that it doesn't enforce *enough* the syntax: blanks and tabs are 'equivalent', which makes a mess when you have various contributors.. If a language enforce 'syntactically significant indentation', it should also enforce the use of tab instead of space for example. Of course if one programmer is dumb enough to align with space, you could look for the error in the code for hours without finding the error, but this is easy to avoid: the compiler/interpreter should complain each time he see '4 space' or a tabulation depending of the choice of the delimiter. Regards, RenoX
Aug 13 2006
parent kris <foo bar.com> writes:
renox wrote:
 kris wrote:

 Python uses syntactically significant indentation (for blocks),
 instead of braces. Because of that, the language attracts a lot of
 flack from various quarters.
Note that one reason that Python get some flacks as dawid ciezarkiewicz rightly put it is that it doesn't enforce *enough* the syntax: blanks and tabs are 'equivalent', which makes a mess when you have various contributors..
yes; you're right

 If a language enforce 'syntactically significant indentation', it should
  also enforce the use of tab instead of space for example.

 Of course if one programmer is dumb enough to align with space, you
 could look for the error in the code for hours without finding the
 error, but this is easy to avoid: the compiler/interpreter should
 complain each time he see '4 space' or a tabulation depending of the
 choice of the delimiter.

 Regards,
 RenoX
Aug 13 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Frank Benoit <keinfarbton nospam.xyz> writes:
 What do you think?
I think so too. Sure, I have my own style and don't like any other ;) Perhaps it would be good to have a formatting tool with 2-3 fixed style sets, that it can use. What I really miss, is a D indent tool that really works. I spent some time on the dparser and even had some success with indenting code, but I didn't continue. I feel there should be much more man power in the dparser project. The compiler itself should be build in D. It should provide a really good interface for applications working with D code. And it should be build in a way, that after parsing every bit of information is available, and the source file can be regenerated with it. That would enable many development tools for D. Indention/autocompletion/refactoring/d-lint/... well dreams ...
Aug 12 2006
parent reply Ben Gardner <bengardner.uncrustify gmail.com> writes:
Frank Benoit wrote:
 What I really miss, is a D indent tool that really works. I spent some
 time on the dparser and even had some success with indenting code, but I
 didn't continue.
Uncrustify supports the D language. You may want to check it out. http://uncrustify.sourceforge.net/ Ben
Aug 12 2006
parent reply Dawid =?UTF-8?B?Q2nEmcW8YXJraWV3aWN6?= <dawid.ciezarkiewicz gmail.com> writes:
Ben Gardner wrote:

 Frank Benoit wrote:
 What I really miss, is a D indent tool that really works. I spent some
 time on the dparser and even had some success with indenting code, but I
 didn't continue.
Uncrustify supports the D language. You may want to check it out. http://uncrustify.sourceforge.net/
Oh. Thanks for the link. :) P.S. /me is dreaming about kind of public agreement: "We - the D users - when coding in D will always reformat it using style described: <a href="somelink">here</a> even when we personally think it's not perfect/best/favorite style and will be strongly advicing anybody who codes in D to do so as well." However I have a doubts that such group effort could succeed in language with C-like syntax. Too many people coming from different places with different habits. Even phobos sources have mixed space/tabs indentation (mixed in single file!) ... sad.
Aug 13 2006
next sibling parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Dawid Ciezarkiewicz" <dawid.ciezarkiewicz gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ebmvsa$2up9$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Even phobos sources have mixed space/tabs indentation (mixed in single
 file!) ... sad.
That's just Walter's coding "style." It's not just phobos; it's everything he writes. Including the DMD source. Oh man. I love hard tabs, and I don't mind spaces; but everything only falls apart when you mix them. Like Walter. :)
Aug 13 2006
parent reply Walter Bright <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
 "Dawid Ciezarkiewicz" <dawid.ciezarkiewicz gmail.com> wrote in message
 news:ebmvsa$2up9$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Even phobos sources have mixed space/tabs indentation (mixed in single
 file!) ... sad.
That's just Walter's coding "style." It's not just phobos; it's everything he writes. Including the DMD source. Oh man. I love hard tabs, and I don't mind spaces; but everything only falls apart when you mix them. Like Walter. :)
It works just fine when you set tabs to be 8 characters, as god intended them to be.
Aug 13 2006
next sibling parent reply "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown simplemachines.org> writes:
Uh-huh, sure.

You're usually right, but I don't like having to hit backspace four
times or 1 time alternatively based on my indentation level.  That's
just bizarre.  I've never seen someone mix tabs like that before...

Why do you prefer it, if I may ask?

-[Unknown]

Unknown W. Brackets wrote:
 Uh-huh, sure.

 You're usually right, but I don't like having to hit backspace four
 times or 1 time alternatively based on my indentation level.  That's
 just bizarre.  I've never seen someone mix tabs like that before...

 Why do you prefer it, if I may ask?

 -[Unknown]

 It works just fine when you set tabs to be 8 characters, as god
 intended them to be.
Because it isn't screwed up when you type it to the screen or the printer.
Aug 14 2006
next sibling parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psyc.ward> writes:
 You're usually right, but I don't like having to hit backspace four
 times or 1 time alternatively based on my indentation level.  That's
 just bizarre.  I've never seen someone mix tabs like that before...

 Why do you prefer it, if I may ask?

 -[Unknown]

 It works just fine when you set tabs to be 8 characters, as god
 intended them to be.
Because it isn't screwed up when you type it to the screen or the printer.
LOL ... you *so* locked into the past its almost sad. -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia "Down with mediocrity!"
Aug 14 2006
Derek Parnell wrote:
 It works just fine when you set tabs to be 8 characters, as god
 intended them to be.
Because it isn't screwed up when you type it to the screen or the printer.
LOL ... you *so* locked into the past its almost sad.
I run the latest operating systems, have a modern HP laserprinter, etc. And what do they do? 8 column tabs. Do you know that the latest HTML browsers default to 8 column tabs for <pre> sections? I run the latest Thunderbird email system, and what does it do for text? 8 column tabs. Using any other setting is like declaring that your inches are really 1.82 centimeters long.
Aug 14 2006
parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psyc.ward> writes:
 It works just fine when you set tabs to be 8 characters, as god
 intended them to be.
Because it isn't screwed up when you type it to the screen or the printer.
LOL ... you *so* locked into the past its almost sad.
I run the latest operating systems, have a modern HP laserprinter, etc. And what do they do? 8 column tabs. Do you know that the latest HTML browsers default to 8 column tabs for <pre> sections? I run the latest Thunderbird email system, and what does it do for text? 8 column tabs. Using any other setting is like declaring that your inches are really 1.82 centimeters long.
Firstly, I didn't say you were the *only* luddite ;-) Secondly, I too use such equipment and software and I don't have any issue with using hard-tabs, because I don't use tabs. -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia "Down with mediocrity!"
Aug 14 2006
Derek Parnell wrote:
 Secondly, I too use such equipment and software and I don't have any issue
 with using hard-tabs, because I don't use tabs.
That is a workable solution, but I like using tabs. They make me more productive at the keyboard. The real problem is the folks who set their *hard* tab stops at something other than 8. This is just a mistake. There's no problem in a decent editor to set the *soft* tab stops to 3, or whatever. Just not the hard ones.
Aug 14 2006
parent reply Brad Roberts <braddr puremagic.com> writes:
Are we really having this debate.  Might as well start on editor wars and
who's languages is better than.. oh wait, this is a D forum, so at least
we can skip _that_ one.

There's got to be better ways to expend this sort of energy. :)
Aug 14 2006
Brad Roberts wrote:
 Are we really having this debate.  Might as well start on editor wars and
 who's languages is better than.. oh wait, this is a D forum, so at least
 we can skip _that_ one.

 There's got to be better ways to expend this sort of energy. :)
"Kids: just say *no* to Indentation"
Aug 14 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Ivan Senji <ivan.senji_REMOVE_ _THIS__gmail.com> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 Unknown W. Brackets wrote:
 Uh-huh, sure.

 You're usually right, but I don't like having to hit backspace four
 times or 1 time alternatively based on my indentation level.  That's
 just bizarre.  I've never seen someone mix tabs like that before...

 Why do you prefer it, if I may ask?

 -[Unknown]

 It works just fine when you set tabs to be 8 characters, as god
 intended them to be.
Because it isn't screwed up when you type it to the screen or the printer.
Out of the infinite number of ways an editor can display a tab on the screen or print it, it isn't screwed up in *only* one way. So, I'd say that the average probability of it being screwed up is 100%.
Aug 14 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Frits van Bommel <fvbommel REMwOVExCAPSs.nl> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 Unknown W. Brackets wrote:
 Uh-huh, sure.

 You're usually right, but I don't like having to hit backspace four
 times or 1 time alternatively based on my indentation level.  That's
 just bizarre.  I've never seen someone mix tabs like that before...

 Why do you prefer it, if I may ask?

 -[Unknown]

 It works just fine when you set tabs to be 8 characters, as god
 intended them to be.
Because it isn't screwed up when you type it to the screen or the printer.
Might I suggest it also isn't screwed up if you're consistent in using either X spaces or one tab consistently to represent a level of indentation? :) (At least, that takes one possible way of screwing it up out of the equation) Oh, and if you prefer 8-space indentation, I'd like to suggest you use hard tabs (consistently!) so others can easily view it at 4 spaces (or whatever their personal preference may be).
Aug 14 2006
Frits van Bommel wrote:
 Oh, and if you prefer 8-space indentation, I'd like to suggest you use
 hard tabs (consistently!) so others can easily view it at 4 spaces (or
 whatever their personal preference may be).
My screen ain't wide enough for that.
Aug 14 2006
next sibling parent Frits van Bommel <fvbommel REMwOVExCAPSs.nl> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 Frits van Bommel wrote:
 Oh, and if you prefer 8-space indentation, I'd like to suggest you use
 hard tabs (consistently!) so others can easily view it at 4 spaces (or
 whatever their personal preference may be).
My screen ain't wide enough for that.
I don't see how using a consistent coding for indentation takes up any more screen space. Note though: I said "if you prefer 8-space indentation", which might have been a wrong assumption. I haven't checked in Phobos. If you're using 8-space hard tabs + spaces to represent 4 spaces per indentation level or something like that then you're just being silly. Just don't mix tabs and spaces for indentation. That's the most important thing.
Aug 14 2006
prev sibling parent reply "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 10:27:11 -0700, Walter Bright
 Oh, and if you prefer 8-space indentation, I'd like to suggest you use
 hard tabs (consistently!) so others can easily view it at 4 spaces (or
 whatever their personal preference may be).
My screen ain't wide enough for that.
Sure it is. Your preference is for 4 space wide indentation, all you have to do is tell your editor to display a hard tab as 4 spaces (as any editor worth it's salt can do) and use hard tabs everywhere. In fact, if you do this and discover some code is too wide for 4 space indentation, simply set tabs to 2 spaces (temporaily) to read that code, then set it back. Isn't that nice? and flexible? I suspect if you print this code, and the editor sends actual hard tabs to the printer they'll probably be 8 spaces wide.. but: 1. who prints code?!? hard tabs. Oh, and for those who want to align text on seperate lines remember the golden rule; "hard tabs first, spaces following" and you'll have no problems. Regardless of the viewers tab width the lines will align. (ignoring non fixed-width fonts, for which no solution involving spaces/tabs will work). Regan
Aug 14 2006
next sibling parent reply Walter Bright <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
Regan Heath wrote:
 On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 10:27:11 -0700, Walter Bright
 Oh, and if you prefer 8-space indentation, I'd like to suggest you
 use hard tabs (consistently!) so others can easily view it at 4
 spaces (or whatever their personal preference may be).
My screen ain't wide enough for that.
Sure it is. Your preference is for 4 space wide indentation, all you have to do is tell your editor to display a hard tab as 4 spaces (as any editor worth it's salt can do) and use hard tabs everywhere. In fact, if you do this and discover some code is too wide for 4 space indentation, simply set tabs to 2 spaces (temporaily) to read that code, then set it back. Isn't that nice? and flexible? I suspect if you print this code, and the editor sends actual hard tabs to the printer they'll probably be 8 spaces wide.. but: 1. who prints code?!?
I do. I also put code in html <pre>...</pre>, where tabs are 8. I put code in emails, where tabs are 8. I print code on the console, where tabs are 8. I send code to other operating systems, where tabs are 8.

 of hard tabs.

Send it to where? The disk file? Then there aren't tabs in it anymore.
 Oh, and for those who want to align text on seperate lines remember the
 golden rule; "hard tabs first, spaces following" and you'll have no
 problems. Regardless of the viewers tab width the lines will align.
 (ignoring non fixed-width fonts, for which no solution involving
 spaces/tabs will work).

Not really, because I follow that rule, and if tabs are set to 3 it gets all screwed up.
Aug 14 2006
next sibling parent Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 Regan Heath wrote:
 I suspect if you print this code, and the editor sends actual hard
 tabs to the printer they'll probably be 8 spaces wide.. but:
 1. who prints code?!?
I do. I also put code in html <pre>...</pre>, where tabs are 8. I put code in emails, where tabs are 8. I print code on the console, where tabs are 8. I send code to other operating systems, where tabs are 8.
Only by default. The first thing I do when configuring an editor is change the tab width to 4. 8 chars is simply too wide IMO, even for paragraph indentation.

 of hard tabs.

Send it to where? The disk file? Then there aren't tabs in it anymore.
Right. But is that a problem? I'll admit it's a tiny time-saver to be able to move through tab-filled regions with the cursor, but it's just as easy (and even faster) to jump between words with control keys. But all this is really a matter of opinion... which I guess is the point? I've always favored using spaces because it preserves readability regardless of one's opinion of what the correct tab width is. Sean
Aug 14 2006
prev sibling parent "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown simplemachines.org> writes:
I'm assuming you have some interest in this conversation since you
responded.  I mean not to encourage or start a flame war, but I fear I
have (again; I think I've done this before!) asked a tricky question....
just wanted to know, mainly.

Anyway, it really is a shame that tab stops in <pre> are, according to
the spec, 8 characters in width.  Of course, the spec also says not to
use them:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/text.html#h-9.3.4

Anyway, it's typically trivial to replace tabs with spaces in such code
sections.  Since tabs should only be used in sequence from the left
gutter (if you plan for them to line up), this is trivial.

When printing, I believe many text editors do send to the printer as
spaces (not tabs.)  Perhaps I am mistaken.

I follow the rule described, and it never causes me problems.  I simply
never line things up.  I use tabs only for indentation, and spaces for
lining things up.  Anything else causes problems.

-[Unknown]

prev sibling parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
Regan Heath wrote:

 Oh, and for those who want to align text on seperate lines remember the
 golden rule; "hard tabs first, spaces following" and you'll have no
 problems. Regardless of the viewers tab width the lines will align.
 (ignoring non fixed-width fonts, for which no solution involving
 spaces/tabs will work).
What about: int x, y, z; if( x == y || y == z ) { func( x, y, z ); } Changing tab widths can totally mess up this sort of thing if tabs were involved in the creation of any of the involved lines. Things get even worse if some lines were indented with spaces and others with tabs. I'll admit that none if this is a problem for solo projects, but in a group it can be a disaster. And maybe you can enforce indenting rules to this level of detail, but I can't :-) Sean
Aug 14 2006
parent reply "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
  Oh, and for those who want to align text on seperate lines remember
 the golden rule; "hard tabs first, spaces following" and you'll have no
 problems. Regardless of the viewers tab width the lines will align.
 (ignoring non fixed-width fonts, for which no solution involving
 spaces/tabs will work).
What about: int x, y, z; if( x == y || y == z ) { func( x, y, z ); }
 Changing tab widths can totally mess up this sort of thing if tabs were
 involved in the creation of any of the involved lines. Things get even
 worse if some lines were indented with spaces and others with tabs. I'll
 admit that none if this is a problem for solo projects, but in a group
 it can be a disaster.  And maybe you can enforce indenting rules to this
 level of detail, but I can't :-)
I'll agree, trying to get a bunch of people to actually use the same formatting, or even to format their code consistently is nearly impossible.. in my ideal world I would have an editor which auto-formatted code that I was reading (regardless of the on-disk, in-file, actual format..) now that would be nice. Regan
Aug 15 2006