digitalmars.D - Detroit pistons rule! <sings>Lets get it started..</sings>

reply Charlie <Charlie_member pathlink.com> writes:

Jun 13 2004
next sibling parent reply "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
Is this related to some sporting pastime whose name is a malapropism, with
respect to its primary mechanism and form? In other words, American *foot*ball?

Here is Aus, they insist on calling football "soccer", and calling the three
different kinds of rugby-like sports "football". Go figure!

=P

--
The Dr.

da-da-da-dum, da-da-da-dum, da-da-da-dum, daaah
da-da-da-dum, da-da-da-dum, da-da-da-dum, daaah
woo-ooooo
Jun 13 2004
next sibling parent reply Sam McCall <tunah.d tunah.net> writes:
Matthew wrote:

 Is this related to some sporting pastime whose name is a malapropism, with
 respect to its primary mechanism and form? In other words, American *foot*ball?

 Here is Aus, they insist on calling football "soccer", and calling the three
 different kinds of rugby-like sports "football". Go figure!

is rugby-like :-P Sam
Jun 13 2004
next sibling parent Regan Heath <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
 Is this related to some sporting pastime whose name is a malapropism,
 with
 respect to its primary mechanism and form? In other words, American
 *foot*ball?

 Here is Aus, they insist on calling football "soccer", and calling the
 three
 different kinds of rugby-like sports "football". Go figure!

is rugby-like :-P

LOL, same here Sam! (on both points) -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Jun 13 2004
prev sibling parent reply "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
"Sam McCall" <tunah.d tunah.net> wrote in message
news:cajcdk$2hgb$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Matthew wrote:

 Is this related to some sporting pastime whose name is a malapropism, with
 respect to its primary mechanism and form? In other words, American

 Here is Aus, they insist on calling football "soccer", and calling the three
 different kinds of rugby-like sports "football". Go figure!

is rugby-like :-P

Sorry, I should have been more specific. They are three sports that involve large men who have insufficient ball control to cheat and pick up the ball and run around and throw it to each other. :-) Actually, to be serious, since I've been here 7 years, and my in-laws are BIG rugby union people, I've come to sort of enjoy rugby union a little, in internationall games at least. But Aussie rules just seems a little silly; the extremely short and tight shorts and lack of sleeves don't help, albeit I'm aware that the ladies like this aspect. And RL is the ugliest game in the world, played by the dumbest men in the universe. For the non-Australasians reading this, there've recently been a spate of "shocking revelations" about the exploits of the professional rugby league players here in Aus, including a number of different allegations of pack rape. The country has been stunned to learn that if you get bands of ill/un-educated, not very bright to start with, young men, pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, pander to their every whim, laud them above all other members of your society, and surround them with adoring women, then they'll develop a disproportionate impression of their own self-worth and have no respect for women. Big shock! My sons both appear to be likely to develop my physical size, and the sporting skills - which skipped me <g> - of their grandfathers. We've already decided that the morally corrupt Rugby League institutions in this country aren't gettting a p aw on them, at any stage of their development. F-ing cretins! Mr hot air. P.S. Since the boys could play union for either England or Australia, we've decided that if they look like there's a chance they might be good enough, we'll move to NZ at a suitable age, so they can play for the one team that plays with beauty and passion. ;)
Jun 13 2004
parent "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
news:caje01$2kof$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Matthew wrote:

 Is this related to some sporting pastime whose name is a malapropism,

 respect to its primary mechanism and form? In other words, American

 Here is Aus, they insist on calling football "soccer", and calling the

 different kinds of rugby-like sports "football". Go figure!

is rugby-like :-P

Sorry, I should have been more specific. They are three sports that

 men who have insufficient ball control to cheat and pick up the ball and

 around and throw it to each other.

 :-)

[...]

 beauty and passion. ;)

Jun 17 2004
prev sibling parent reply Lars Ivar Igesund <larsivar igesund.net> writes:
Matthew wrote:
 Is this related to some sporting pastime whose name is a malapropism, with
 respect to its primary mechanism and form? In other words, American *foot*ball?

 Here is Aus, they insist on calling football "soccer", and calling the three
 different kinds of rugby-like sports "football". Go figure!

 =P

You're quite right, football is necessarily a sport where you use your feet to move the ball around. A few times per game isn't enough. As for American Football; Why all the protection? It's better named 'chicken rugby' IMHO ;)
Jun 14 2004
parent "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
"Lars Ivar Igesund" <larsivar igesund.net> wrote in message
news:cajlpi$108$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Matthew wrote:
 Is this related to some sporting pastime whose name is a malapropism, with
 respect to its primary mechanism and form? In other words, American

 Here is Aus, they insist on calling football "soccer", and calling the three
 different kinds of rugby-like sports "football". Go figure!

 =P

You're quite right, football is necessarily a sport where you use your feet to move the ball around. A few times per game isn't enough. As for American Football; Why all the protection? It's better named 'chicken rugby' IMHO ;)

LOL
Jun 14 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
"Charlie" <Charlie_member pathlink.com> escribió en el mensaje
news:caja1n$2cuo$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Even if being a Bulls fan, I'm for the Pistons on this one (well, always for
the Eastern Conf teams), but let's just wait until tuesday night...

-----------------------
Carlos Santander Bernal
Jun 14 2004
parent reply Charlie <Charlie_member pathlink.com> writes:
 but let's just wait until tuesday night...

Yes, where they'll clench it :). No team has come back from 3 - 1 to win, but theres a first for everything. In article <cakfp5$18v0$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Carlos Santander B. says...
"Charlie" <Charlie_member pathlink.com> escribió en el mensaje
news:caja1n$2cuo$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Even if being a Bulls fan, I'm for the Pistons on this one (well, always for
the Eastern Conf teams), but let's just wait until tuesday night...

-----------------------
Carlos Santander Bernal

Jun 14 2004
parent reply "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
"Charlie" <Charlie_member pathlink.com> escribió en el mensaje
news:cal2hr$27sf$1 digitaldaemon.com...
| > but let's just wait until tuesday night...
| >

| Yes, where they'll clench it :).  No team has come back from 3 - 1 to win,
but
| theres a first for everything.

And no home team has won the three middle games, but there's a first for
everything.

-----------------------
Carlos Santander Bernal
Jun 14 2004
parent reply "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
"Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> escribió en el mensaje
news:calclb$2o6i$1 digitaldaemon.com
| "Charlie" <Charlie_member pathlink.com> escribió en el mensaje
| news:cal2hr$27sf$1 digitaldaemon.com...
||| but let's just wait until tuesday night...
|| Yes, where they'll clench it :).  No team has come back from 3 - 1 to
win,
| but
|| theres a first for everything.
|
| And no home team has won the three middle games, but there's a first for
| everything.
|
| -----------------------
| Carlos Santander Bernal

And there it is!

-----------------------
Carlos Santander Bernal
Jun 15 2004
parent Charlie <Charlie_member pathlink.com> writes:
:),

You know what was hilarious, did you see those two coolers full of MUMM's !! LOL
, Its like the cheapest champagne there is , $5 a bottle.  Hilarity.

In article <caofmj$1asj$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Carlos Santander B. says...
"Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> escribió en el mensaje
news:calclb$2o6i$1 digitaldaemon.com
| "Charlie" <Charlie_member pathlink.com> escribió en el mensaje
| news:cal2hr$27sf$1 digitaldaemon.com...
||| but let's just wait until tuesday night...
|| Yes, where they'll clench it :).  No team has come back from 3 - 1 to
win,
| but
|| theres a first for everything.
|
| And no home team has won the three middle games, but there's a first for
| everything.

| Carlos Santander Bernal

And there it is!

Carlos Santander Bernal

Jun 16 2004
prev sibling parent Brad Anderson <brad sankaty.dot.com> writes:
And with all ths banter, I guess I could have posted about the Tampa Bay
Lightning winning the Stanley Cup !!
Jun 15 2004