digitalmars.D - Putting D on my CV

reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
I'm in the process of getting my CV up to scratch.  In the skills
section, I have a list of languages that I can program in.

Has anyone else put D in such a section?

Looking at the idea, I know that there have been other languages called D.

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/27897.html

I believe the one we talk of here is probably the best known now.
However, what if the language called D that a prospective employer has
heard of is one of the others?

I suppose there are ways to disambiguate, but wonder what's best.

Opinions?

Stewart.

--

My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on
the 'group where everyone may benefit.
next sibling parent Lars Ivar Igesund <larsivar igesund.net> writes:
Stewart Gordon wrote:

 I'm in the process of getting my CV up to scratch.  In the skills
 section, I have a list of languages that I can program in.

 Has anyone else put D in such a section?

 Looking at the idea, I know that there have been other languages called D.

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/27897.html

 I believe the one we talk of here is probably the best known now.
 However, what if the language called D that a prospective employer has
 heard of is one of the others?

 I suppose there are ways to disambiguate, but wonder what's best.

 Opinions?

 Stewart.

I have, and I've gotten positive feedback on this in at least two interviews.
Feb 20 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Stewart Gordon wrote:
 I'm in the process of getting my CV up to scratch.  In the skills
 section, I have a list of languages that I can program in.

 Has anyone else put D in such a section?

 Looking at the idea, I know that there have been other languages called D.

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/27897.html

 I believe the one we talk of here is probably the best known now.
 However, what if the language called D that a prospective employer has
 heard of is one of the others?

 I suppose there are ways to disambiguate, but wonder what's best.

 Opinions?

 Stewart.

The other languages aren't really called D are they? Anyway, I think mentioning DigitalMars is probably enough to disambiguate.
Feb 20 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Chris <central_p hotmail.com> writes:
I think that the name D for the language is not good. Well, it sounds
cool and is an improvement over C++ but just try googling for it. I
think that an unambiguous name would have been better - like Mars
Language, or DM  Langage or even DMD Language or WCNL (Walter's Cool New
Langauge) :)

These days when naming something we have to also to consider how it will
be displayed on the Net. In that context for instance the name C++ is
perfect.

These are just my thoughts, don't shoot me for them!

Regards,
  Chris

next sibling parent reply nick <nick.atamas gmail.com> writes:
Chris wrote:
 I think that the name D for the language is not good. Well, it sounds
 cool and is an improvement over C++ but just try googling for it. I
 think that an unambiguous name would have been better - like Mars
 Language, or DM  Langage or even DMD Language or WCNL (Walter's Cool New
 Langauge) :)

 These days when naming something we have to also to consider how it will
 be displayed on the Net. In that context for instance the name C++ is
 perfect.

 These are just my thoughts, don't shoot me for them!

 Regards,
  Chris
Overall, very valid points. However, google: D programming.
Feb 20 2006
parent clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
nick wrote:
 Chris wrote:
 I think that the name D for the language is not good. Well, it sounds
 cool and is an improvement over C++ but just try googling for it. I
 think that an unambiguous name would have been better - like Mars
 Language, or DM  Langage or even DMD Language or WCNL (Walter's Cool New
 Langauge) :)

 These days when naming something we have to also to consider how it will
 be displayed on the Net. In that context for instance the name C++ is
 perfect.

 These are just my thoughts, don't shoot me for them!

 Regards,
  Chris
Overall, very valid points. However, google: D programming.
Or D language, or Digital Mars D. If I remember right Walter was originally going to call it the Mars language, but his colleagues insisted on calling it D, so it stuck.
Feb 20 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Chris" <central_p hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:dtcv94$29ls$1 digitaldaemon.com...
I think that the name D for the language is not good. Well, it sounds cool
and is an improvement over C++ but just try googling for it. I think that
an unambiguous name would have been better - like Mars Language, or DM
Langage or even DMD Language or WCNL (Walter's Cool New Langauge) :)
Calling it "D" squarely positions it where it aims to be.
 These days when naming something we have to also to consider how it will
 be displayed on the Net. In that context for instance the name C++ is
 perfect.
I agree, which is why I suggest that anyone putting up a web page on D have the text "D programming language" on it somewhere.
Feb 20 2006
parent reply Cris <central_p hotmail.com> writes:
 These days when naming something we have to also to consider how it will
 be displayed on the Net. In that context for instance the name C++ is
 perfect.
I agree, which is why I suggest that anyone putting up a web page on D have the text "D programming language" on it somewhere.
You could put that suggestion somewhere on your web page so everybody can see it. What about inventing some alias convention like dlang or whatever you like it that people can put it on their page, so that it is used for searching purposes. Anyway some searching systems do not work well with single characters names like D, even if you write: "D Language", they'll produce "D" and "Language" resaults, which unfortunately will be garbage.
Feb 20 2006
next sibling parent AgentOrange <AgentOrange_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <dtdeoc$2q7k$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Cris says...
 These days when naming something we have to also to consider how it will
 be displayed on the Net. In that context for instance the name C++ is
 perfect.
I agree, which is why I suggest that anyone putting up a web page on D have the text "D programming language" on it somewhere.
You could put that suggestion somewhere on your web page so everybody can see it. What about inventing some alias convention like dlang or whatever you like it that people can put it on their page, so that it is used for searching purposes. Anyway some searching systems do not work well with single characters names like D, even if you write: "D Language", they'll produce "D" and "Language" resaults, which unfortunately will be garbage.
No, if you use "D Language" inside little quotes every search engine ive ever seen will look for that as a literal string. "D Language" works pretty well. I believe the real reason you arent seeing the hundreds of hits for D is because they dont exist yet :D
Feb 20 2006
prev sibling parent "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Cris" <central_p hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:dtdeoc$2q7k$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Anyway some searching systems do not work well with single characters
 names like D, even if you write: "D Language", they'll produce "D" and
 "Language" resaults, which unfortunately will be garbage.
Put the quotes around it in the google search box: "d programming" rather than: d programming
Feb 20 2006

 Stewart Gordon wrote:

 I'm in the process of getting my CV up to scratch.  In the skills
 section, I have a list of languages that I can program in.

 Has anyone else put D in such a section?

 Looking at the idea, I know that there have been other languages
 called D.

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/27897.html

 I believe the one we talk of here is probably the best known now.
 However, what if the language called D that a prospective employer has
 heard of is one of the others?

 I suppose there are ways to disambiguate, but wonder what's best.

 Opinions?

 Stewart.
Try to google for "C"..ok, you're gettin a few results related to development, but compared to it's age I wouldn't wonder at all. As soon as D is as old as C, I bet it'll be on the first place on Google's page when searching for "D". Ad topic: I've put D also into the list of competences, but it didn't help me yet. Regards, Alex
Feb 20 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:dtcq67$2434$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I'm in the process of getting my CV up to scratch.  In the skills section,
 I have a list of languages that I can program in.

 Has anyone else put D in such a section?

 Looking at the idea, I know that there have been other languages called D.

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/27897.html

 I believe the one we talk of here is probably the best known now. However,
 what if the language called D that a prospective employer has heard of is
 one of the others?

 I suppose there are ways to disambiguate, but wonder what's best.

 Opinions?
I'd put it on your CV (I assume that's your resume?) as "D programming language", not just D. D has gained a lot of name recognition in the past year, and I doubt there'll be any problems with it on a languages list. Try googling on it and it'll be clear.
Feb 20 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Carlos Santander <csantander619 gmail.com> writes:
Stewart Gordon escribió:
 I'm in the process of getting my CV up to scratch.  In the skills
 section, I have a list of languages that I can program in.

 Has anyone else put D in such a section?

I have done it.
 Looking at the idea, I know that there have been other languages called D.

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/27897.html

 I believe the one we talk of here is probably the best known now.
 However, what if the language called D that a prospective employer has
 heard of is one of the others?

 I suppose there are ways to disambiguate, but wonder what's best.

 Opinions?

I guess they'd have to ask about D and see if we're talking about the same D (not that anyone has bothered to ask me.)
 Stewart.

-- Carlos Santander Bernal
Feb 20 2006
prev sibling parent Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
Stewart Gordon wrote:
 I'm in the process of getting my CV up to scratch.  In the skills
 section, I have a list of languages that I can program in.

 Has anyone else put D in such a section?
Yup, though I haven't been on an interview since adding it. I've given some interviews in the past few years however, and always like to see indications that applicants are *interested* in the field. Listing a language like D is one way to suggest that, and also gives the interviewer an opening to ask about your interests a bit.
 I suppose there are ways to disambiguate, but wonder what's best.
"The D Programming Language" is the string Walter suggests is used on web pages. It should be sufficient to disambiguate if you're worried people won't know what 'D' you're referring to. Sean
Feb 20 2006