digitalmars.D - Simple database.

reply Roberto Baena <Roberto_member pathlink.com> writes:
Hi.

I'm looking for a simple database that I can embed in a D application I'm
writing. Apart from SQLite and Firebird what databases are available for
embeding?

I don't need a full fledge SQL server. Something that allows me to store a
couple of tables with indexes for fast retrieval would be sufficient. SQL is not
needed.

Thanks.
Feb 01 2006
next sibling parent reply Dave <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <drrb8o$2dgr$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Roberto Baena says...
Hi.

I'm looking for a simple database that I can embed in a D application I'm
writing. Apart from SQLite and Firebird what databases are available for
embeding?

I don't need a full fledge SQL server. Something that allows me to store a
couple of tables with indexes for fast retrieval would be sufficient. SQL is not
needed.

Thanks.
Just curious, why not SQLite?
Feb 01 2006
parent James Dunne <james.jdunne gmail.com> writes:
Dave wrote:
 In article <drrb8o$2dgr$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Roberto Baena says...

Hi.

I'm looking for a simple database that I can embed in a D application I'm
writing. Apart from SQLite and Firebird what databases are available for
embeding?

I don't need a full fledge SQL server. Something that allows me to store a
couple of tables with indexes for fast retrieval would be sufficient. SQL is not
needed.

Thanks.
Just curious, why not SQLite?
Feb 02 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent "Carlos Smith" <carlos.smith sympatico.ca> writes:
"Roberto Baena" <Roberto_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:drrb8o$2dgr$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Hi.

 I'm looking for a simple database that I can embed in a D application I'm
 writing. Apart from SQLite and Firebird what databases are available for
 embeding?
May be MetaKit: http://www.equi4.com/metakit.html Or gdbm
Feb 01 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
"Roberto Baena" <Roberto_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:drrb8o$2dgr$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Hi.

 I'm looking for a simple database that I can embed in a D application I'm
 writing. Apart from SQLite and Firebird what databases are available for
 embeding?
 I don't need a full fledge SQL server. Something that allows me to store a
 couple of tables with indexes for fast retrieval would be sufficient. SQL
 is not
 needed.
Try one from Konstantin Knizhnik's databases : http://www.garret.ru/~knizhnik/databases.html In particular you can consider dyBase http://www.garret.ru/~knizhnik/dybase.html It has plain C API. Each record (aka object) is variable length set (array) of values. Records can contain references to other records - thus you can have tree like structure. And also you can create indexes on records. It has transactions and builtin GC (to delete all unreferenced records). And it is about 40k in binary or so. Andrew Fedoniouk. http://terrainformatica.com
Feb 01 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Roberto Baena" <Roberto_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:drrb8o$2dgr$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Hi.

 I'm looking for a simple database that I can embed in a D application I'm
 writing. Apart from SQLite and Firebird what databases are available for
 embeding?

 I don't need a full fledge SQL server. Something that allows me to store a
 couple of tables with indexes for fast retrieval would be sufficient. SQL
 is not
 needed.
www.digitalmars.com/d/phobos/std_openrj.html
Feb 01 2006
parent reply Kevin Bealer <Kevin_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <drs6qq$1re$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...

"Roberto Baena" <Roberto_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:drrb8o$2dgr$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Hi.

 I'm looking for a simple database that I can embed in a D application I'm
 writing. Apart from SQLite and Firebird what databases are available for
 embeding?

 I don't need a full fledge SQL server. Something that allows me to store a
 couple of tables with indexes for fast retrieval would be sufficient. SQL
 is not
 needed.
www.digitalmars.com/d/phobos/std_openrj.html
Is there a facility to add records and then write the openrj database back to disk, or does one just foreach { printf(...); } the contents each time? Kevin
Feb 02 2006
parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Kevin Bealer" <Kevin_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:drtkp9$18h5$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <drs6qq$1re$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
www.digitalmars.com/d/phobos/std_openrj.html
Is there a facility to add records and then write the openrj database back to disk, or does one just foreach { printf(...); } the contents each time?
It's just a text file, so rewriting it each time is the most practical.
Feb 02 2006
parent "Matthew" <matthew hat.stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
"Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:drtt69$1gp4$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Kevin Bealer" <Kevin_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:drtkp9$18h5$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <drs6qq$1re$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
www.digitalmars.com/d/phobos/std_openrj.html
Is there a facility to add records and then write the openrj database
back
 disk, or does one just foreach { printf(...); } the contents each time?
It's just a text file, so rewriting it each time is the most practical.
Lars had some ideas last year about adding that functionality, but I never got time to address them. I still hope to do it, once I'm over my current hump. (I recognise the contradiction in this with my other post <g>. Tools & Libraries. Tools & Libraries. Tools & Libraries. . . . )
Feb 02 2006
prev sibling parent Mark D <theomnipotentqatmsn msn.com> writes:
Roberto Baena wrote:
 Hi.

 I'm looking for a simple database that I can embed in a D application I'm
 writing. Apart from SQLite and Firebird what databases are available for
 embeding?

 I don't need a full fledge SQL server. Something that allows me to store a
 couple of tables with indexes for fast retrieval would be sufficient. SQL is
not
 needed.

 Thanks.

May I suggest using whatever database you are most familiar with, setting up an ODBC datasource, and using DDBI to easily establish a connection to it? Certainly, I'm biased, because I finished this integration only a few days ago, but I'd be happy to help you if anything comes up. :) Of course, it does require issuing SQL commands... I can't quite tell if you mean that it's not "needed" or if it's not "needed or wanted!" ;) You shouldn't have any trouble setting up an ODBC connection to just about anything... -Mark D
Feb 02 2006