digitalmars.D - phobos and windows api

reply Serg Kovrov <dyh pathlink.com> writes:
Hi All,

I'm relatively new to D and it's supporting libs - sorry for dumb
questions.

As I understand Phobos winapi support is still not complete. E.c.
GetWindowLong and GetWindowLongPtr are missing. Is there any plans to
reflect full windows api in std.c.windows? How about unicode support?

Yet I'm not quiet understand Phobos status. Is it only Walter who
maintain/develop it? Whats the plans/roadmap for future?

What about Ares - it says it intend to be replacement for Phobos. Is it
will be an official replacement - what Walter think of it? 'Official' is
maybe not good word for it, what I mean is, currently to use Ares some
hacks must be done. It seems dmd is not supposed to use anything in
place of Phobos. Will it changes eventually?
Feb 01 2006

There have been a number of efforts to translate the Windows API headers. See http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D/26225
prev sibling parent reply "Charles" <noone nowhere.com> writes:
 Whats the plans/roadmap for future?
Hopefully trash it , salvage the good parts, and make a new standard library , as soon as D stops adopting new features.
What hacks ? I think eventually Ares plans to be a full replacement to phobos. "Serg Kovrov" <dyh pathlink.com> wrote in message news:drqb2h$pab$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Hi All,

 I'm relatively new to D and it's supporting libs - sorry for dumb
 questions.

 As I understand Phobos winapi support is still not complete. E.c.
 GetWindowLong and GetWindowLongPtr are missing. Is there any plans to
 reflect full windows api in std.c.windows? How about unicode support?

 Yet I'm not quiet understand Phobos status. Is it only Walter who
 maintain/develop it? Whats the plans/roadmap for future?

 What about Ares - it says it intend to be replacement for Phobos. Is it
 will be an official replacement - what Walter think of it? 'Official' is
 maybe not good word for it, what I mean is, currently to use Ares some
 hacks must be done. It seems dmd is not supposed to use anything in
 place of Phobos. Will it changes eventually?
Feb 01 2006
parent reply jcc7 <jcc7_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <drqotu$1bks$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Charles says...
 Whats the plans/roadmap for future?
Hopefully trash it , salvage the good parts, and make a new standard library , as soon as D stops adopting new features.
 currently to use Ares some
 hacks must be done. It seems dmd is not supposed to use anything in
 place of Phobos. Will it changes eventually?
What hacks ? I think eventually Ares plans to be a full replacement to phobos.
Eventually, yes. But not everything is in Ares yet that is in Phobos. This is being discussed in the Ares forum at dsource. jcc7
Feb 01 2006
parent Lars Ivar Igesund <larsivar igesund.net> writes:
jcc7 wrote:

 In article <drqotu$1bks$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Charles says...
 Whats the plans/roadmap for future?
Hopefully trash it , salvage the good parts, and make a new standard library , as soon as D stops adopting new features.
 currently to use Ares some
 hacks must be done. It seems dmd is not supposed to use anything in
 place of Phobos. Will it changes eventually?
What hacks ? I think eventually Ares plans to be a full replacement to phobos.
Eventually, yes. But not everything is in Ares yet that is in Phobos. This is being discussed in the Ares forum at dsource. jcc7
Ares at least got it's first version of io today, sean is really steaming up now.
Feb 01 2006