digitalmars.D - Debugging D programs

reply "Karl Traunmüller" <office intumi.com> writes:
Hi all,

I've tried several approaches to debugging D programs (VS2003, WinDBG), and
none worked well.

Is there some decent debugger for D?
Can I use the DM IDDE for debugging D programs?

I suppose the C++ and D compiler generate the same object format, so the
IDDE will probably work for both languages, but I simply did not find this
question answered.

thanks,
Karl
Jan 16 2006
parent reply clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
This might help http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DebugEnvironments

Karl Traunmüller wrote:
 Hi all,

 I've tried several approaches to debugging D programs (VS2003, WinDBG), and
 none worked well.

 Is there some decent debugger for D?
 Can I use the DM IDDE for debugging D programs?

 I suppose the C++ and D compiler generate the same object format, so the
 IDDE will probably work for both languages, but I simply did not find this
 question answered.

 thanks,
 Karl

Jan 17 2006
parent reply "Karl Traunmüller" <office intumi.com> writes:
Thanks,

but I went through all this already.

Some approaches work partly (both VS2003 and WinDBG), but none gives really
decent debugging support (setting breakpoints in code, not by function
address).

Karl

news:dqit5a$1ca3$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Yea, thats pretty much all you get. Its a sore spot with most of us D advocates, but we've learned to do w/o. However GDC works with GDB 100% with a patch you can apply , if debugging is crucial. Charlie "Karl Traunmüller" <office intumi.com> wrote in message news:dqj2d1$1guq$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Karl Traunmüller wrote:
 Hi all,

 I've tried several approaches to debugging D programs (VS2003, WinDBG),
 and none worked well.

 Is there some decent debugger for D?
 Can I use the DM IDDE for debugging D programs?

 I suppose the C++ and D compiler generate the same object format, so

 IDDE will probably work for both languages, but I simply did not find
 this question answered.

 thanks,
 Karl

Jan 17 2006
parent "Karl Traunmüller" <office intumi.com> writes:
Thanks, Charles

I already found the GDB patch, but didn't try it yet.

My original question is still unanswered: does the DM IDDE debugger support
D?

If yes, I would immediately purchase the CD.

Karl

news:dqjcaf$1p4e$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Karl Traunmüller wrote:
 Hi all,

 I've tried several approaches to debugging D programs (VS2003,
 WinDBG),
 and none worked well.

 Is there some decent debugger for D?
 Can I use the DM IDDE for debugging D programs?

 I suppose the C++ and D compiler generate the same object format, so

 IDDE will probably work for both languages, but I simply did not find
 this question answered.

 thanks,
 Karl

Jan 18 2006