digitalmars.D - Inline Assembly

reply Tiago Gasiba <tiago.gasiba gmail.com> writes:
Dear all,

  In the document http://www.digitalmars.com/d/iasm.html, section "Operand
Types" does not contain the keyword "qword ptr".
  This keyword is required even for 32bit machines. Some MMX instructions take
arguments of this type!
  Did I miss something?

Best,
Tiago

--
Tiago Gasiba (M.Sc.) - http://www.gasiba.de
Dec 20 2005
parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Tiago Gasiba" <tiago.gasiba gmail.com> wrote in message
news:do8jcs$2mia$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Dear all,

  In the document http://www.digitalmars.com/d/iasm.html, section "Operand
 Types" does not contain the keyword "qword ptr".
  This keyword is required even for 32bit machines. Some MMX instructions
 take arguments of this type!
  Did I miss something?
I always found qword ptr confusing. You can use "long ptr" or "double ptr" depending on what is needed.
Dec 20 2005
parent reply Don Clugston <dac nospam.com.au> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 "Tiago Gasiba" <tiago.gasiba gmail.com> wrote in message
 news:do8jcs$2mia$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Dear all,

 In the document http://www.digitalmars.com/d/iasm.html, section "Operand
Types" does not contain the keyword "qword ptr".
 This keyword is required even for 32bit machines. Some MMX instructions
take arguments of this type!
 Did I miss something?
I always found qword ptr confusing. You can use "long ptr" or "double ptr" depending on what is needed.
BTW: On that page, "Operand types" still contains a reference to "extended ptr". This was changed in the compiler a long time ago. Spec should read "real ptr". The only surviving trace of the old name "extended" is in the "de" pseudo-op. I wonder if it should be "dr"? I think that "de" is non-standard anyway, it is "dt" (stupid name) on most assemblers I've used.
Dec 20 2005
parent Tiago Gasiba <tiago.gasiba gmail.com> writes:
Don Clugston schrieb:

 Walter Bright wrote:
 "Tiago Gasiba" <tiago.gasiba gmail.com> wrote in message
 news:do8jcs$2mia$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Dear all,

 In the document http://www.digitalmars.com/d/iasm.html, section "Operand
Types" does not contain the keyword "qword ptr".
 This keyword is required even for 32bit machines. Some MMX instructions
take arguments of this type!
 Did I miss something?
I always found qword ptr confusing. You can use "long ptr" or "double ptr" depending on what is needed.
BTW: On that page, "Operand types" still contains a reference to "extended ptr". This was changed in the compiler a long time ago. Spec should read "real ptr". The only surviving trace of the old name "extended" is in the "de" pseudo-op. I wonder if it should be "dr"? I think that "de" is non-standard anyway, it is "dt" (stupid name) on most assemblers I've used.
Thanks for the repply. Please note that in the same document "long ptr" is not mentioned - the HTML doc needs to be updated! Best, Tiago -- Tiago Gasiba (M.Sc.) - http://www.gasiba.de Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
Dec 21 2005