digitalmars.D - is it legal...

reply Chris <Chris_member pathlink.com> writes:
As I've mentioned in a couple other threads, I am beginning to develop a D
compiler for that targets the .net framework. I have a little experience toying
with a much simpler programming language (that I created) which compiles to
msil.

So far I have the lexer mostly done. basically what I did was look at the dmd
front end and figured out what it's doing, and rewrote it in C#. I didn't
exaclty convert the code from C to C# (although it looks like it in some areas),
but used the code in lexer.c as a basis for mine. is that legal? I do have a
comment at the top that indicates the code is based on what Walter Bright wrote
in lexer.c.

currently I don't have a liscense for my code.. I'm just developing this alone
for now, and I won't be releasing anything, source code or binary, until it is
liscensed. when it is though, it will be open source. probably gpl.

Chris
Nov 29 2005
next sibling parent JT <JT_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <dmivmv$2j6u$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Chris says...
[...]

the front end is GPL
Nov 29 2005
prev sibling parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Chris" <Chris_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dmivmv$2j6u$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

If you do a derived work from the frond end, which is GPL, then the result must be GPL as well. Doing a translation is considered a "derived work."
Nov 29 2005
parent Chris <ctlajoie yahoo.com> writes:
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:07:28 -0800, "Walter Bright"
[...]

thanks.
Nov 29 2005