digitalmars.D - is it legal...

reply Chris <Chris_member pathlink.com> writes:
As I've mentioned in a couple other threads, I am beginning to develop a D
compiler for that targets the .net framework. I have a little experience toying
with a much simpler programming language (that I created) which compiles to
msil.

So far I have the lexer mostly done. basically what I did was look at the dmd

but used the code in lexer.c as a basis for mine. is that legal? I do have a
comment at the top that indicates the code is based on what Walter Bright wrote
in lexer.c.

currently I don't have a liscense for my code.. I'm just developing this alone
for now, and I won't be releasing anything, source code or binary, until it is
liscensed. when it is though, it will be open source. probably gpl.

Chris
Nov 29 2005
next sibling parent JT <JT_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <dmivmv$2j6u$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Chris says...
As I've mentioned in a couple other threads, I am beginning to develop a D
compiler for that targets the .net framework. I have a little experience toying
with a much simpler programming language (that I created) which compiles to
msil.

So far I have the lexer mostly done. basically what I did was look at the dmd

but used the code in lexer.c as a basis for mine. is that legal? I do have a
comment at the top that indicates the code is based on what Walter Bright wrote
in lexer.c.

currently I don't have a liscense for my code.. I'm just developing this alone
for now, and I won't be releasing anything, source code or binary, until it is
liscensed. when it is though, it will be open source. probably gpl.

Chris
the front end is GPL
Nov 29 2005
prev sibling parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Chris" <Chris_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dmivmv$2j6u$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 As I've mentioned in a couple other threads, I am beginning to develop a D
 compiler for that targets the .net framework. I have a little experience
toying
 with a much simpler programming language (that I created) which compiles
 msil.

 So far I have the lexer mostly done. basically what I did was look at the
dmd

areas),
 but used the code in lexer.c as a basis for mine. is that legal? I do have
 comment at the top that indicates the code is based on what Walter Bright
wrote
 in lexer.c.

 currently I don't have a liscense for my code.. I'm just developing this
alone
 for now, and I won't be releasing anything, source code or binary, until
it is
 liscensed. when it is though, it will be open source. probably gpl.
If you do a derived work from the frond end, which is GPL, then the result must be GPL as well. Doing a translation is considered a "derived work."
Nov 29 2005
parent Chris <ctlajoie yahoo.com> writes:
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:07:28 -0800, "Walter Bright"
[...]

thanks.
Nov 29 2005