digitalmars.D - An unknown deprecated feature

reply Bruno Medeiros <daiphoenixNO SPAMlycos.com> writes:
I just spent half an hour trying to figure out why a certain piece of
code wouldn't compile. Puzzled by a cryptic error message, and after
reducing it to the simplest form of code:

   class Bar(TYPE)
   {
	Bar!(TYPE) instance;
   }

and still without it compiling, surprised was I when just by changing
the field name it compiled. I searched the doc, and yo and behold,
"instance" is a deprecated keyword:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/473.html
( which I naturally had never heard about... O_o' )
Maybe it's time we kill some of these older deprecated features, no?

--
Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student
"Certain aspects of D are a pathway to many abilities some consider to
next sibling parent "John C" <johnch_atms hotmail.com> writes:
"Bruno Medeiros" <daiphoenixNO SPAMlycos.com> wrote in message
news:dkt3g1$15jp$1 digitaldaemon.com...
I just spent half an hour trying to figure out why a certain piece of code
wouldn't compile. Puzzled by a cryptic error message, and after reducing it
to the simplest form of code:

   class Bar(TYPE)
   {
 Bar!(TYPE) instance;
   }

 and still without it compiling, surprised was I when just by changing the
 field name it compiled. I searched the doc, and yo and behold, "instance"
 is a deprecated keyword:
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/473.html
 ( which I naturally had never heard about... O_o' )
 Maybe it's time we kill some of these older deprecated features, no?

Can we have a show of hands for how many still use "instance" to instantiate a template? It's my guess that only ancient legacy code will use it. And it's good, honest variable name that should probably be free'd up.
 --
 Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student
 "Certain aspects of D are a pathway to many abilities some consider to
 be... unnatural."

Nov 09 2005
prev sibling parent reply "Garett Bass" <garettbass studiotekne.com> writes:
I would also like to see this identifier freed up since it is my favorite name
for a singleton instance.

;)
Garett

[...]

parent Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Amen!
It's my favourite name for singleton instance too!