digitalmars.D - recls 1.6.x ??

reply "Matthew" <matthew hat.stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
Just tried to make some changes into one of my system management tools,
written in D, but it's been about a year since I've had occasion to compile
it, and the changes to D (or, rather, to Phobos) during that time have made
it impossible for the private version of recls that I've used since the
unfortunate divergence between recls/D and std.recls.

Walter, are you still averse to updating Phobos with the newer version of
recls (D-standard compliant methods, FTP searching, additional methods),
despite the considerable reductions in binary code size I've made in recent
months (as documented in my Positive Integration column this year.

I'm still planning a new version of recls - recls2 - which will be smaller
in source and object size, and also be a lot more flexible (with search
criteria including size, date, etc.) and cover different hierarchical
representations, but that's not going to be out until early next year, so
1.6 is the best bet.

I assume D's std.recls is dying on the vine as a result of it not being
updated with later versions of the library. I can't see any solid reason to
not update to 1.6.4 now, even if it does make the download fatter for a
couple of months, since recls2 will be not-too-long (and it doesn't seem
like the glacial pace of change in D's changed much while I've been away
concentrating on other things; though I must acknowledge that I might have
missed significant advances on my occasional visits).

(FWIW: anyone who wants to is welcome to download recls 1.6.4 from the
http://recls.org/, but you'll need to sort out the issues that are baffling
me with compatibility with later versions of the D compiler/phobos.)

Cheers

--
Matthew Wilson

Author: "Extended STL", Addison-Wesley, 2006
    (http://www.extendedstl.com)
Author: "Imperfect C++", Addison-Wesley, 2004
    (http://www.imperfectcplusplus.com)
Contributing editor, C/C++ Users Journal
    (http://www.synesis.com.au/articles.html#columns)
Director, Synesis Software
    (www.synesis.com.au)
STLSoft moderator
    (http://www.stlsoft.org)
Sep 10 2005
next sibling parent reply Manfred Nowak <svv1999 hotmail.com> writes:
Matthew wrote:

 http://www.extendedstl.com
:-) -manfred
Sep 11 2005
parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <dg17ll$2e6t$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Manfred Nowak says...
Matthew wrote:

 http://www.extendedstl.com
:-)
The book is still being written, so it's understandable that the wesite isn't much more than a placeholder at the moment :) Sean
Sep 11 2005
parent "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
"Sean Kelly" <sean f4.ca> wrote in message
news:dg1uu1$30b4$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <dg17ll$2e6t$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Manfred Nowak
 says...
Matthew wrote:

 http://www.extendedstl.com
:-)
The book is still being written, so it's understandable that the wesite isn't much more than a placeholder at the moment :)
It is, but it might serve me to put a bit of advertainment up there. ;-) Check it out now ...
Sep 11 2005
prev sibling parent "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Matthew" <matthew hat.stlsoft.dot.org> wrote in message
news:dg0djp$1rtl$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I assume D's std.recls is dying on the vine as a result of it not being
 updated with later versions of the library. I can't see any solid reason
 not update to 1.6.4 now, even if it does make the download fatter for a
 couple of months, since recls2 will be not-too-long (and it doesn't seem
 like the glacial pace of change in D's changed much while I've been away
 concentrating on other things; though I must acknowledge that I might have
 missed significant advances on my occasional visits).
I think it would be better to wait a couple months for the lean & mean one. D is on a monthly update cycle, and so there's actually only a month to wait.
Sep 12 2005