digitalmars.D - true is not not zero

reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
Would it be useful if the compiler saw '<expression> == true' as
'<expression> != 0'?

Then these would be equivalent ...

   if (Fld) ...

and

   if (Fld == true) ...

because currently these are not equivalent.

import std.stdio;
int main()
{
    int A = 2;

    if (A) writefln("A");
    if (A!=0) writefln("A!=0");
    if (A==true) writefln("A==true");

    return 0;

Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia
31/08/2005 9:43:47 PM
Aug 31 2005
next sibling parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Derek Parnell" <derek psych.ward> wrote in message
news:jag0mz602hw$.u59i5vti46wf$.dlg 40tude.net...
 Would it be useful if the compiler saw '<expression> == true' as
 '<expression> != 0'?

 Then these would be equivalent ...

   if (Fld) ...

 and

   if (Fld == true) ...

 because currently these are not equivalent.
I'm not sure if you're looking for utility or for syntactic sugar ;) The problem with that is that 'true' would no longer just be a simple constant. It would be a constant some of the times (like func(5,true)), but other times (when comparing), it would be something entirely different. It wouldn't have a value; it'd be something of a construct in and of itself. Or rather, '==true' would be a construct, as without the '==', it wouldn't work the same way.
Aug 31 2005
parent Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 "Derek Parnell" <derek psych.ward> wrote in message
 news:jag0mz602hw$.u59i5vti46wf$.dlg 40tude.net...
 Would it be useful if the compiler saw '<expression> == true' as
 '<expression> != 0'?

 Then these would be equivalent ...

   if (Fld) ...

 and

   if (Fld == true) ...

 because currently these are not equivalent.
I'm not sure if you're looking for utility or for syntactic sugar ;) The problem with that is that 'true' would no longer just be a simple constant. It would be a constant some of the times (like func(5,true)), but other times (when comparing), it would be something entirely different. It wouldn't have a value; it'd be something of a construct in and of itself. Or rather, '==true' would be a construct, as without the '==', it wouldn't work the same way.
Umm, yeah ... so where's the problem? When people write "if (X == true)" I assume they want to know if X contains one of the many values that D regards as a truth value. If they want to see if X contains the value 1, they would write "if (X == 1)". So in this regards, the syntax "EXPR == true" *is* a construct. Why I even raised this is that I tripped over this today ... if (isalpha(X) == true) as it was only 'working' for upper case alphas. Lowercase alphas returned 2 and not 1. This is because isalpha is defined as int isalpha(dchar c) { return (c <= 0x7F) ? _ctype[c] & (_ALP) : 0; } where _ALP has the value 3. My assumption was that functions named "is..." would return a true/false value (yeah, I know ... RTFM; but what manual?). In other words I assumed it was coded as ... bool isalpha(dchar c){return (c<=0x7F)&&(_ctype[c]&(_ALP)) ? true:false);} My bad I know, but then I got to thinking that I wish the compiler could recognize the HINT that I was after truth and not a numeric comparison. -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia 31/08/2005 11:15:56 PM
Aug 31 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Shammah Chancellor <Shammah_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <jag0mz602hw$.u59i5vti46wf$.dlg 40tude.net>, Derek Parnell says...
Would it be useful if the compiler saw '<expression> == true' as
'<expression> != 0'?

Then these would be equivalent ...

   if (Fld) ...

and

   if (Fld == true) ...

because currently these are not equivalent.

import std.stdio;
int main()
{
    int A = 2;

    if (A) writefln("A");
    if (A!=0) writefln("A!=0");
    if (A==true) writefln("A==true");

    return 0;
}
Is truth the complement of falsehood? Who defines truth as anything which is not false? -Sha
Aug 31 2005
parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 In article <jag0mz602hw$.u59i5vti46wf$.dlg 40tude.net>, Derek Parnell says...
Would it be useful if the compiler saw '<expression> == true' as
'<expression> != 0'?
[snip]
 Is truth the complement of falsehood?   Who defines truth as anything which is
 not false?
Ummm... me? I kinda feel that an assertion is either true or false but not both at the same time. It cannot be neither, although we may not know which it is at any given instant. But now we getting all philosophical and off topic ;-) -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia 1/09/2005 7:30:44 AM
Aug 31 2005
parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <1vyjlspt3ayjp.i722adx36thy.dlg 40tude.net>, Derek Parnell says...
 Is truth the complement of falsehood?   Who defines truth as anything which is
 not false?
Ummm... me? I kinda feel that an assertion is either true or false but not both at the same time. It cannot be neither, although we may not know which it is at any given instant. But now we getting all philosophical and off topic ;-)
Quantum states make things even more intersting ;-) The answer to this seems to go back to the old argument about whether bit is a numeric or logical type. If bit is numeric then current behavior makes perfect sense, but the constants 'true' and 'false' are quite misleading. Otherwise, I agree that the behavior must change. Sean
Aug 31 2005
In article <df5986$2k8h$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Sean Kelly says...