digitalmars.D - Is Walter working alone?

reply AC <AC_member pathlink.com> writes:
I have the impression that Walter is the only guy behind
the dmd compiler, D standard library, language specification,
documentation, and even the website design.
I don't think this is good for the development of D.

By the way, I wonder how Walter can do all this (full-time?)
for years without financial reward.
Aug 22 2005
next sibling parent reply AJG <AJG nospam.com> writes:
AC wrote:
 I have the impression that Walter is the only guy behind
 the dmd compiler, D standard library, language specification,
 documentation, and even the website design.
 I don't think this is good for the development of D.
Yes, it appears to be so.
 By the way, I wonder how Walter can do all this (full-time?)
 for years without financial reward.
Without financial reward? My friend, you have been misinformed. Walter actually uses D to promote his T-shirt empire! http://www.t-shirtking.com/catalog/142-00209 The plan is brilliant! --AJG.
Aug 22 2005
next sibling parent J C Calvarese <technocrat7 gmail.com> writes:
In article <deealo$27o1$1 digitaldaemon.com>, AJG says...
AC wrote:
 I have the impression that Walter is the only guy behind
 the dmd compiler, D standard library, language specification,
 documentation, and even the website design.
 I don't think this is good for the development of D.
Yes, it appears to be so.
 By the way, I wonder how Walter can do all this (full-time?)
 for years without financial reward.
Without financial reward? My friend, you have been misinformed. Walter actually uses D to promote his T-shirt empire! http://www.t-shirtking.com/catalog/142-00209
I'm not sure that Walter is the one getting the money from those T-shirts, but these he does: http://www.digitalmars.com/gift/index.html ;)
The plan is brilliant!
--AJG.
jcc7
Aug 23 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"AJG" <AJG nospam.com> wrote in message
news:deealo$27o1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Without financial reward? My friend, you have been misinformed. Walter
 actually uses D to promote his T-shirt empire!
If you want a real Digital Mars T-shirt, check out: http://www.cafepress.com/digitalmars But only a real Nerd would attempt to wear the Maxwell's Equations one, 'cuz you'll not impress the ladies if you can't explain it! Personally, my favorite is the "Some Assembly Required" D coffee cup.
 The plan is brilliant!
LOL!
Aug 23 2005
next sibling parent Vathix <chris dprogramming.com> writes:
 Personally, my favorite is the "Some Assembly Required" D coffee cup.
Me too.. I'd buy it but the price seems steep for a single cup :| maybe I'll still get it. I'd like to see some more stuff in there though :>
Aug 23 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent AJG <AJG_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <deeoot$2rol$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
"AJG" <AJG nospam.com> wrote in message
news:deealo$27o1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Without financial reward? My friend, you have been misinformed. Walter
 actually uses D to promote his T-shirt empire!
If you want a real Digital Mars T-shirt, check out: http://www.cafepress.com/digitalmars
Oh, wow, I didn't realize you had an _actual_ t-shirt empire ;).
But only a real Nerd would attempt to wear the Maxwell's Equations one, 'cuz
you'll not impress the ladies if you can't explain it!
Aye. Tis true.
Personally, my favorite is the "Some Assembly Required" D coffee cup.
Very nice. I might be inclined to get one of these puppies once I get settled for the year.
 The plan is brilliant!
LOL!
Cheers, --AJG.
Aug 23 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <deeoot$2rol$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
If you want a real Digital Mars T-shirt, check out:
http://www.cafepress.com/digitalmars

But only a real Nerd would attempt to wear the Maxwell's Equations one, 'cuz
you'll not impress the ladies if you can't explain it!
Alas, my understanding of "Maxwell's Equations" works out to something like this: cups_of_coffee = f(scoops) / cups_of_water; Where f(x) is defined on the back of the can.
Personally, my favorite is the "Some Assembly Required" D coffee cup.
Now that's a winner. It'll be useful while I'm pondering those equations. - EricAnderton at yahoo
Aug 23 2005
parent J Thomas <jtd514 ameritech.net> writes:
what a hoot! the real joke is maxwell didnt even write those - oliver
heaviside wrote those equations.... maxwells real equations were a bit
politically incorrect...... after all those guys were really all
crazy...... heh

pragma wrote:
 In article <deeoot$2rol$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...

If you want a real Digital Mars T-shirt, check out:
http://www.cafepress.com/digitalmars

But only a real Nerd would attempt to wear the Maxwell's Equations one, 'cuz
you'll not impress the ladies if you can't explain it!
Alas, my understanding of "Maxwell's Equations" works out to something like this: cups_of_coffee = f(scoops) / cups_of_water; Where f(x) is defined on the back of the can.
Personally, my favorite is the "Some Assembly Required" D coffee cup.
Now that's a winner. It'll be useful while I'm pondering those equations. - EricAnderton at yahoo
Aug 23 2005
prev sibling parent reply Manfred Nowak <svv1999 hotmail.com> writes:
"Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in
news:deeoot$2rol$1 digitaldaemon.com

[...]
 'cuz you'll not impress the ladies if you can't explain it!
Ever met a lady who gave you the impression, that she understood your explanation? Hint: she taking you with her, isn't really a sign of understanding :-) Maybe you should expand your shirt imperium with: http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/science/6e90/ and http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/science/65a4/ The word "Gravity" should be replaced by "dmd". -manfred
Aug 23 2005
"Manfred Nowak" <svv1999 hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:deh342$16o6$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in
 news:deeoot$2rol$1 digitaldaemon.com

 [...]
 'cuz you'll not impress the ladies if you can't explain it!
Ever met a lady who gave you the impression, that she understood your explanation? Hint: she taking you with her, isn't really a sign of understanding :-)
Believe it or not, there are wonderful women who like nerds <g>
Aug 24 2005
next sibling parent John Demme <me teqdruid.com> writes:
 "Manfred Nowak" <svv1999 hotmail.com> wrote in message
 news:deh342$16o6$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in
 news:deeoot$2rol$1 digitaldaemon.com

 [...]
 'cuz you'll not impress the ladies if you can't explain it!
Ever met a lady who gave you the impression, that she understood your explanation? Hint: she taking you with her, isn't really a sign of understanding :-)
Believe it or not, there are wonderful women who like nerds <g>
Yes. I call them band geeks.
Aug 24 2005
prev sibling parent reply "ElfQT" <dethjunk yahoo.com> writes:
 Believe it or not, there are wonderful women who like nerds <g>
That depends on the definition of nerd. Well, also, on the definition of "wonderful". In context of "women". ;)
Aug 25 2005
parent Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <dekgut$1lj3$1 digitaldaemon.com>, ElfQT says...
 Believe it or not, there are wonderful women who like nerds <g>
That depends on the definition of nerd. Well, also, on the definition of "wonderful". In context of "women".
You must have been a philosophy major ;) Sean
Aug 25 2005
prev sibling parent Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <deealo$27o1$1 digitaldaemon.com>, AJG says...
Without financial reward? My friend, you have been misinformed. Walter
actually uses D to promote his T-shirt empire!

http://www.t-shirtking.com/catalog/142-00209
For those who don't know, "Tenacious D" is a rock band--Jack Black (the actor) is the lead singer :) Sean
Aug 23 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent Lars Ivar Igesund <larsivar igesund.net> writes:
AC wrote:

 I have the impression that Walter is the only guy behind
 the dmd compiler, D standard library, language specification,
 documentation, and even the website design.
 I don't think this is good for the development of D.

 By the way, I wonder how Walter can do all this (full-time?)
 for years without financial reward.
Ah, but you forget that he also makes one hellofa C/C++ compiler, and a ECMS scriptengine (Javascript), in addition to many, many insanely fast buildrelated tools. no problems, there, eh? Lars Ivar Igesund
Aug 23 2005
prev sibling parent J Thomas <jtd514 ameritech.net> writes:
Good, because too many people want to toss in this stupid idea or that.
Walter is good at keeping out the nonsense.

the funniest are the guys who can barely speak english and demand
something you can barely understand....