www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - AMD64 Support?

reply TSUME <tsume NOSPAMtsumelabs.com> writes:
Any progress on AMD64 support?

I'm curious where Digital Mars wants to go with D. Will there be ports to
other archs as well? (i.e. Sparc64, Alpha, etc)

btw, I'm a *BSD, and Linux developer. I don't care too much for
Windows which is why I'm curious about D being portable to other platforms
besides Windows and Linux.

TSUME
Aug 06 2005
parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <pan.2005.08.06.13.46.00.181336 NOSPAMtsumelabs.com>, TSUME says...
Any progress on AMD64 support?

I'm curious where Digital Mars wants to go with D. Will there be ports to
other archs as well? (i.e. Sparc64, Alpha, etc)

btw, I'm a *BSD, and Linux developer. I don't care too much for
Windows which is why I'm curious about D being portable to other platforms
besides Windows and Linux.

What architectures can GDC target? I had thought it was more than just x86. Sean
Aug 06 2005
parent reply SomeOne <SomeOne_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <dd2ihu$1k6o$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Sean Kelly says...
In article <pan.2005.08.06.13.46.00.181336 NOSPAMtsumelabs.com>, TSUME says...
Any progress on AMD64 support?

I'm curious where Digital Mars wants to go with D. Will there be ports to
other archs as well? (i.e. Sparc64, Alpha, etc)

btw, I'm a *BSD, and Linux developer. I don't care too much for
Windows which is why I'm curious about D being portable to other platforms
besides Windows and Linux.

What architectures can GDC target? I had thought it was more than just x86.

This should probably go to the D.GNU newsgroup.
Aug 07 2005
parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
SomeOne wrote:

I'm curious where Digital Mars wants to go with D. Will there be ports to
other archs as well? (i.e. Sparc64, Alpha, etc)



What architectures can GDC target?  I had thought it was more than just x86.

This should probably go to the D.GNU newsgroup.

You're welcome on the other newsgroup, but GDC currently builds for: - X86 - PPC - SPARC I don't think it works on any 64-bit* platform yet, mostly due to some deficiencies in the runtime library as I think the D compiler is "ok" ? * = I mean building a full 64-bit compiler, not running on a 64-bit OS. When it does, there will be additional support for the non-32-bit arch: - X86_64 - PPC64 - SPARC64 But there is no interest from Digital Mars in other arch's, it seems ? GDC platforms are: Linux, BSD, Darwin, Cygwin, Solaris, AIX and others. --anders PS. DMD versions: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/version.html GDC versions: http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DocComments/Version
Aug 07 2005
parent reply TSUME <tsume NOSPAMtsumelabs.com> writes:
On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 22:43:50 +0200, Anders F Björklund wrote:

 SomeOne wrote:
 
I'm curious where Digital Mars wants to go with D. Will there be ports to
other archs as well? (i.e. Sparc64, Alpha, etc)



What architectures can GDC target?  I had thought it was more than just x86.

This should probably go to the D.GNU newsgroup.

You're welcome on the other newsgroup, but GDC currently builds for: - X86 - PPC - SPARC I don't think it works on any 64-bit* platform yet, mostly due to some deficiencies in the runtime library as I think the D compiler is "ok" ? * = I mean building a full 64-bit compiler, not running on a 64-bit OS. When it does, there will be additional support for the non-32-bit arch: - X86_64 - PPC64 - SPARC64 But there is no interest from Digital Mars in other arch's, it seems ? GDC platforms are: Linux, BSD, Darwin, Cygwin, Solaris, AIX and others.

I've seen the GDC port, but I'm asking about both. Is Digital Mars going to port the compiler to other archs and OSes? *BSD is very important to me and I use it every day more than any other OS. Having just the GDC is a sad option. Many people I ask why, and they say "We won't support it reasons because its not commercially supported" yet.. I point them to what Apple has done with DarwinBSD and they go off running arrogant and mad. I'm also curious why the Digital Mars compiler isn't ported to NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and DarwinBSD(and MacOSX) yet. Would be _much_ better than relying on GCC, which is very fond of breaking everything on its way to destruction. :) *No, linux emulation isn't an answer* TSUME
Aug 08 2005
next sibling parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> writes:
"TSUME" <tsume NOSPAMtsumelabs.com> wrote in message 
news:pan.2005.08.08.11.19.01.618056 NOSPAMtsumelabs.com...
 On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 22:43:50 +0200, Anders F Björklund wrote:

 SomeOne wrote:

I'm curious where Digital Mars wants to go with D. Will there be ports 
to
other archs as well? (i.e. Sparc64, Alpha, etc)



What architectures can GDC target?  I had thought it was more than just 
x86.

This should probably go to the D.GNU newsgroup.

You're welcome on the other newsgroup, but GDC currently builds for: - X86 - PPC - SPARC I don't think it works on any 64-bit* platform yet, mostly due to some deficiencies in the runtime library as I think the D compiler is "ok" ? * = I mean building a full 64-bit compiler, not running on a 64-bit OS. When it does, there will be additional support for the non-32-bit arch: - X86_64 - PPC64 - SPARC64 But there is no interest from Digital Mars in other arch's, it seems ? GDC platforms are: Linux, BSD, Darwin, Cygwin, Solaris, AIX and others.

I've seen the GDC port, but I'm asking about both. Is Digital Mars going to port the compiler to other archs and OSes? *BSD is very important to me and I use it every day more than any other OS. Having just the GDC is a sad option. Many people I ask why, and they say "We won't support it reasons because its not commercially supported" yet.. I point them to what Apple has done with DarwinBSD and they go off running arrogant and mad. I'm also curious why the Digital Mars compiler isn't ported to NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and DarwinBSD(and MacOSX) yet. Would be _much_ better than relying on GCC, which is very fond of breaking everything on its way to destruction. :) *No, linux emulation isn't an answer* TSUME

I think the main reason why Digital Mars D isn't on more systems is that Walter hasn't been cloned yet. But that's just a guess.
Aug 07 2005
parent reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dd6k02$1eeg$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "TSUME" <tsume NOSPAMtsumelabs.com> wrote in message
 news:pan.2005.08.08.11.19.01.618056 NOSPAMtsumelabs.com...
 I've seen the GDC port, but I'm asking about both. Is Digital Mars going
 to port the compiler to other archs and OSes? *BSD is very important to


 and I use it every day more than any other OS. Having just the GDC is a
 sad option. Many people I ask why, and they say "We won't support it
 reasons because its not commercially supported" yet.. I point them to


 Apple has done with DarwinBSD and they go off running arrogant and mad.
 I'm also curious why the Digital Mars compiler isn't ported to NetBSD,
 FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and DarwinBSD(and MacOSX) yet. Would be _much_ better
 than relying on GCC, which is very fond of breaking everything on its


 to destruction. :) *No, linux emulation isn't an answer*

 TSUME

I think the main reason why Digital Mars D isn't on more systems is that Walter hasn't been cloned yet. But that's just a guess.

That's right. It's not that I don't want to support them, I do. It's just that one more thing to support and my head will explode <g>.
Aug 09 2005
parent TSUME <tsume NOSPAMtsumelabs.com> writes:
On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 01:16:14 -0700, Walter wrote:

 
 "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> wrote in message
 news:dd6k02$1eeg$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "TSUME" <tsume NOSPAMtsumelabs.com> wrote in message
 news:pan.2005.08.08.11.19.01.618056 NOSPAMtsumelabs.com...
 I've seen the GDC port, but I'm asking about both. Is Digital Mars going
 to port the compiler to other archs and OSes? *BSD is very important to


 and I use it every day more than any other OS. Having just the GDC is a
 sad option. Many people I ask why, and they say "We won't support it
 reasons because its not commercially supported" yet.. I point them to


 Apple has done with DarwinBSD and they go off running arrogant and mad.
 I'm also curious why the Digital Mars compiler isn't ported to NetBSD,
 FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and DarwinBSD(and MacOSX) yet. Would be _much_ better
 than relying on GCC, which is very fond of breaking everything on its


 to destruction. :) *No, linux emulation isn't an answer*

 TSUME

I think the main reason why Digital Mars D isn't on more systems is that Walter hasn't been cloned yet. But that's just a guess.

That's right. It's not that I don't want to support them, I do. It's just that one more thing to support and my head will explode <g>.

Will there be plans for support of the BSDs? /me hears an explosion in the background. TSUME
Aug 10 2005
prev sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
TSUME wrote:

But there is no interest from Digital Mars in other arch's, it seems ?
GDC platforms are: Linux, BSD, Darwin, Cygwin, Solaris, AIX and others.

I've seen the GDC port, but I'm asking about both. Is Digital Mars going to port the compiler to other archs and OSes?

Only Walter, or other Digital Mars representative, can answer that one.
 *BSD is very important to me
 and I use it every day more than any other OS. Having just the GDC is a
 sad option. Many people I ask why, and they say "We won't support it
 reasons because its not commercially supported" yet.. I point them to what
 Apple has done with DarwinBSD and they go off running arrogant and mad.
 I'm also curious why the Digital Mars compiler isn't ported to NetBSD,
 FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and DarwinBSD(and MacOSX) yet.

By the way, it is "Darwin" and not DarwinBSD... Though 4.4BSD is an important part of the core OS (just as the Mach 3.0 microkernel is) I also believe that Darwin 8 is pretty well synched up to FreeBSD 5? http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/
 Would be _much_ better
 than relying on GCC, which is very fond of breaking everything on its way
 to destruction. :) *No, linux emulation isn't an answer*

One of main advantages of GCC and GDC are that they are Free Software. (available under GNU General Public License) --anders
Aug 07 2005
parent reply TSUME <tsume NOSPAMtsumelabs.com> writes:
On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 08:56:17 +0200, Anders F Björklund wrote:

 
 By the way, it is "Darwin" and not DarwinBSD... Though 4.4BSD is an 
 important part of the core OS (just as the Mach 3.0 microkernel is)
 

Hehe. Well I have a bad habit of calling Darwin different names. This is been about the 1 millionth time. :)
 I also believe that Darwin 8 is pretty well synched up to FreeBSD 5?
 http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/
 

I keep hearing the userland, yes. Which is a nice giant step. Apple wants to stay toward the nice heaven of being related to BSD. They have helped many projects with support.
 Would be _much_ better
 than relying on GCC, which is very fond of breaking everything on its way
 to destruction. :) *No, linux emulation isn't an answer*

One of main advantages of GCC and GDC are that they are Free Software. (available under GNU General Public License)

*shrug* I guess so. The GCC compiler still has issues, but work arounds exist. I realize not every platform can be supported well, like how GUI toolkits out there which are multiplatform. TSUME
Aug 10 2005
parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
TSUME wrote:

I also believe that Darwin 8 is pretty well synched up to FreeBSD 5?
http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/

I keep hearing the userland, yes. Which is a nice giant step. Apple wants to stay toward the nice heaven of being related to BSD. They have helped many projects with support.

Why is that such a huge step ? Apple has been constantly synching up to FreeBSD since they started the Darwin project ? (also other *BSD) > *shrug* I guess so. The GCC compiler still has issues, but work arounds
 exist. I realize not every platform can be supported well,

The major platforms I am using (Linux/Darwin) are built with GCC. I would say it works rather well, even if it can be somewhat slow.
 like how GUI toolkits out there which are multiplatform.

Sorry, I just didn't understand this sentence in this context... ? --anders
Aug 11 2005