digitalmars.D - DSource Projects and their information

reply jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
Greetings!

If you go to dsource.org, and click on projects, there is a multitude of
projects there.  Beautiful!  However, if one wants to know anything about the
project, the only one that seems to have any extraordinary information about the
project is mango.  It would be nice for each project to have some kind of
description of the project other then the short two'liner that each has.

Just a thought...

josé
Jul 27 2005
next sibling parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 If you go to dsource.org, and click on projects, there is a multitude of
 projects there.  Beautiful!  However, if one wants to know anything about the
 project, the only one that seems to have any extraordinary information about
the
 project is mango.  It would be nice for each project to have some kind of
 description of the project other then the short two'liner that each has.

 Just a thought...
I'm happy to comply. This is Build's current description: "Build - Tool for building D executables and libraries. Build is designed to simplify the process of compiling a D application. It removes the need for tools like make and Scons, in that it analyzes the source code to work out source file dependancies, and then determines which of the dependant files need recompiling and linking. It can build either executables or libraries." Can anyone suggest more that I could add to improve it? -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia 28/07/2005 7:44:31 AM
Jul 27 2005
next sibling parent "Charles" <noone nowhere.com> writes:
Looks good too me -- although dependancies is misspelled . ( dependencies )

Charlie

news:vobmel0htx4p.1bng979z5hsd5.dlg 40tude.net...

 --
 Derek Parnell
 Melbourne, Australia
prev sibling parent reply jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
Derek Parnell says...
[...]

Heh heh heh... Derek, your build tool was the last project I was thinking of. :-) Your description is very helpful, though, if you look at mango's, there is a home page where everything else is included. However, all I am looking for is something like yours description on each project. Yes, I know some are in limbo, productivily speaking, however, there are a few that are actively being developed and their description are not descriptive (pardon the repetition) at all. For example: http://www.dsource.org/projects/dsp/ http://www.dsource.org/projects/d_server_platform/ http://www.dsource.org/projects/eclipseD/ .. .. etc... These description say very little about what the project is. You have done a fine job, Derek. As always. :-) thanks, josé
Jul 27 2005
parent reply pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <dc9ljb$1745$1 digitaldaemon.com>, jicman says...
Heh heh heh... Derek, your build tool was the last project I was thinking of.
:-)  Your description is very helpful, though, if you look at mango's, there is
a home page where everything else is included.  However, all I am looking for is
something like yours description on each project.  Yes, I know some are in
limbo, productivily speaking, however, there are a few that are actively being
developed and their description are not descriptive (pardon the repetition) at
all.

For example:
http://www.dsource.org/projects/dsp/
::embarassed:: Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Until I get that updated, please see the existing documentation. I have a webpage setup in the SVN repos that should provide a more detailed description of DSP: http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dsp/trunk/doc/index.html It is by no means complete. Any critiques are welcome. - EricAnderton at yahoo
Jul 28 2005
parent jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
pragma says...
In article <dc9ljb$1745$1 digitaldaemon.com>, jicman says...
Heh heh heh... Derek, your build tool was the last project I was thinking of.
:-)  Your description is very helpful, though, if you look at mango's, there is
a home page where everything else is included.  However, all I am looking for is
something like yours description on each project.  Yes, I know some are in
limbo, productivily speaking, however, there are a few that are actively being
developed and their description are not descriptive (pardon the repetition) at
all.

For example:
http://www.dsource.org/projects/dsp/
::embarassed::
No need to be. Now go fix it. :-) Kidding...
Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Until I get that updated, please see the existing documentation.  I have a
webpage setup in the SVN repos that should provide a more detailed description
of DSP:

http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dsp/trunk/doc/index.html
You know what? This URL should be part of the description.
It is by no means complete.  Any critiques are welcome.
I'll take a look at it... thanks, josé
Jul 28 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply J Thomas <jtd514 ameritech.net> writes:
most of the projects are at an extremely early stage, the best place to
find info is the forum, most projects have a post with what you are
looking for.

jicman wrote:
 Greetings!

 If you go to dsource.org, and click on projects, there is a multitude of
 projects there.  Beautiful!  However, if one wants to know anything about the
 project, the only one that seems to have any extraordinary information about
the
 project is mango.  It would be nice for each project to have some kind of
 description of the project other then the short two'liner that each has.

 Just a thought...

 josé

Jul 27 2005
parent reply jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
I understand that, but, the description of the product defines what the product
will be (or likely be), so it's needed for people to get interested on them.
For example, if it is an editor, then it should have the capabilities that it
has now, the capabilities that it will have in the future.  This will help the
users/browsers of dsource.org understand more about the project, which will
cause more downloads of the products.  Sometimes I want to download a product,
but there is not enough information there.  So, I am not going to download a zip
file to read the "readme.txt" file and see what this application does.  It
should be on the description.

Again, just a thought to help us out...

J Thomas says...

jicman wrote:
 Greetings!

 If you go to dsource.org, and click on projects, there is a multitude of
 projects there.  Beautiful!  However, if one wants to know anything about the
 project, the only one that seems to have any extraordinary information about
the
 project is mango.  It would be nice for each project to have some kind of
 description of the project other then the short two'liner that each has.

 Just a thought...

 josé

Jul 27 2005
parent reply J Thomas <jtd514 ameritech.net> writes:
im sorry, do you want your money back?

jicman wrote:

Greetings!

If you go to dsource.org, and click on projects, there is a multitude of
projects there.  Beautiful!  However, if one wants to know anything about the
project, the only one that seems to have any extraordinary information about the
project is mango.  It would be nice for each project to have some kind of
description of the project other then the short two'liner that each has.

Just a thought...

josé
Jul 28 2005
next sibling parent Brad Beveridge <brad somewhere.net> writes:
People who write free software generally want people to use it.  I would
imagine that they would appreciate it when people tell them why they
aren't using it.  Such a trivial thing as not having a decent
description is a huge barrier to entry.

 jicman wrote:

 Greetings!

 If you go to dsource.org, and click on projects, there is a
 multitude of
 projects there.  Beautiful!  However, if one wants to know anything
 about the
 project, the only one that seems to have any extraordinary
 information about the
 project is mango.  It would be nice for each project to have some
 kind of
 description of the project other then the short two'liner that each
 has.

 Just a thought...

 josé
Jul 28 2005
prev sibling parent jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
wrong actitude, my friend.  I was trying to help...

J Thomas says...

prev sibling parent reply Ant <duitoolkit yahoo.ca> writes:
jicman wrote:
 Greetings!

 If you go to dsource.org, and click on projects, there is a multitude of
 projects there.  Beautiful!  However, if one wants to know anything about the
 project, the only one that seems to have any extraordinary information about
the
 project is mango.  It would be nice for each project to have some kind of
 description of the project other then the short two'liner that each has.

 Just a thought...

 josé

dsource doesn't allow the owner of the project to set/change the overview. there are many features on dsource not yet implemented. we have to thank Brad for the availability of dsource anyway. Antonio
Jul 28 2005
next sibling parent Brad Anderson <brad dsource.dot.org> writes:
Ant wrote:
 jicman wrote:

 Greetings!

 If you go to dsource.org, and click on projects, there is a multitude of
 projects there.  Beautiful!  However, if one wants to know anything
 about the
 project, the only one that seems to have any extraordinary information
 about the
 project is mango.  It would be nice for each project to have some kind of
 description of the project other then the short two'liner that each has.

 Just a thought...

 josé
dsource doesn't allow the owner of the project to set/change the overview. there are many features on dsource not yet implemented.
I have not developed dsource.org as it stands now because I had hoped to switch the project management functions over to Trac. I'm still waiting for Trac to 'grow up' a bit and have some of my patches accepted. They're getting there, as it seems some of the developers have returned and are working pretty actively now. Switching to Trac allows the project admin to doctor up the /projects/xyz home page as it goes directly into a wiki. There is a ticket tracker and source-code browser, as well as milestones and timelines. My favorite is the Roadmap. It's quite a nice piece of software, but its use on dsource.org has been delayed. Please be sure that it's still coming. For the best example, see the Trac project itself... http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/
 we have to thank Brad for the availability of dsource anyway.
You're welcome... BA
Jul 28 2005
prev sibling parent jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
Ant says...
jicman wrote:
 Greetings!

 If you go to dsource.org, and click on projects, there is a multitude of
 projects there.  Beautiful!  However, if one wants to know anything about the
 project, the only one that seems to have any extraordinary information about
the
 project is mango.  It would be nice for each project to have some kind of
 description of the project other then the short two'liner that each has.

 Just a thought...

 josé

dsource doesn't allow the owner of the project to set/change the overview. there are many features on dsource not yet implemented. we have to thank Brad for the availability of dsource anyway.
Yes, thanks Brad for dsource. I am, in no way, trying to down dsource.org nor any of the projects. Please don't misunderstand me. All I am saying is that the overview should be a little more descriptive. Is that so wrong? ;-) josé
Jul 28 2005