digitalmars.D - Immutable arrays for Walter and rest of us.

reply "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
I would like to discuss one of my previous ideas again
as it seems it was lost in the fire.

I think below is the best compromise we can get. In fact
as more I am looking on it as more I am sure that it
not even compromise - it is "well done immutables".

Idea is to extend typesystem with a new type: immutable (const, readonly)
array and pointer.

Proposed notation of immutable array type is as:

Proposed notation of immutable pointer is as:

Immutable array as a type has exactly the same set
of properties and methods as array except of mutators:

     opIndexAssign and
     int length(int newlength)

char[] s1;

is1 = s1; // ok.
s1 = is1; // compile time (CT) err.

Examples:

s1[0] = 'a'; // ok
is1[0] = 'a'; // CT err.

s1.length =  1; // ok
is1.length = 1; // CT err.
--------------------------------
String and array literals are immutable by definition:

char[] s1 = "Hello world"; // CT err.

Sidenote:
    In C++, by historical reasons, string literals
    have type char* and not const char* which is
    imho bad and needs to be changed.

------------------------------

This approach will give us readonlyness without major changes
in language notation and architecture.

This approach is free from C++ "const syntactical madness" where
const is used for three different things and looks ugly sometimes.

Clear differentiation of built-in reference types (array and struct) onto
mutable and immutable versions will increase "fullness" of D's
balanced type system.

The thing is that char[] is from one side is atomic type
and it is pretty natural to human to interpret it as just lets say
atomic int. But at the same time it is a reference to some
possibly shared data. This is why arrays and pointers shall
exist in two forms.

consumer has no rights to change it as it will damage
integrity state of the owner.

Possible variations of immutable type notation I've considered:

2) typename$[]
3) typename []
4) typename[] const - not good as it conflicts with
                                     C++ cases visually.

of notation though. Ideas anyone?

I think it makes sense to add opSliceConst to the list of
overloadable operators.

Having readonlyness interpreted and implemented
this way will finally reconcile const and no-const camps. I hope.

Andrew.
Jun 29 2005
next sibling parent Victor Nakoryakov <nail-mail mail.ru> writes:
Yep, good idea. But you're not the first, and I think not the last who
suggest some solution for constness. To me suggestion seems to be ignored.

--
Victor (aka nail) Nakoryakov
nail-mail<at>mail<dot>ru

Krasnoznamensk, Moscow, Russia
Jun 30 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
Not a bad idea. I prefer the solution I've mentioned a few times already.
I just hope Walter gives us some indication of what he's thinking at some
stage.
(hint, hint)

Regan

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:06:12 -0700, Andrew Fedoniouk
[...]

parent Kramer <Kramer_member pathlink.com> writes:
And since it has been suggested so many times and IMO a very worth while
idea/feature, if Walter does not want to add it, then we need some
practices/idioms for D on how to simulate it.

-Kramer

In article <opss6iqfje23k2f5 nrage.netwin.co.nz>, Regan Heath says...

prev sibling next sibling parent reply Brad Beveridge <brad somewhere.net> writes:
Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

 of notation though. Ideas anyone?

 I think it makes sense to add opSliceConst to the list of
 overloadable operators.

 Having readonlyness interpreted and implemented
 this way will finally reconcile const and no-const camps. I hope.

 Andrew.

signify immutability though. I've never been opposed to longish names, so my vote would be for "immutable" as a decorator. immutable char[] is1; char[] s1; Brad
Jun 30 2005
parent reply "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
"Brad Beveridge" <brad somewhere.net> wrote in message
news:da13eo$1ao3$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

 of notation though. Ideas anyone?

 I think it makes sense to add opSliceConst to the list of
 overloadable operators.

 Having readonlyness interpreted and implemented
 this way will finally reconcile const and no-const camps. I hope.

 Andrew.
signify immutability though. I've never been opposed to longish names, so my vote would be for "immutable" as a decorator. immutable char[] is1; char[] s1;
In fact immutable arrays are 80% or so of use cases of arrays in average code. So motivation is to make 'immutable' flag as shorter as possible. What about this: char![] Ideally, default char[] should be immutable and char![] should be mutable. Andrew.
Jun 30 2005

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

of notation though. Ideas anyone?

I think it makes sense to add opSliceConst to the list of
overloadable operators.

Having readonlyness interpreted and implemented
this way will finally reconcile const and no-const camps. I hope.

Andrew.
signify immutability though. I've never been opposed to longish names, so my vote would be for "immutable" as a decorator. immutable char[] is1; char[] s1;
In fact immutable arrays are 80% or so of use cases of arrays in average code. So motivation is to make 'immutable' flag as shorter as possible. What about this: char![] Ideally, default char[] should be immutable and char![] should be mutable. Andrew.
I could see possible problems with templates using ! I agree that having a short flag is probably a good idea, but I would personally value absolute clarity over conciseness. Some other choices for "immutable" http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=immutable I like "fixed", "stable", "firm" and "solid" in that order. Of course, step 1 is getting Walter to agree that we need _something_ Brad
Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
 I would like to discuss one of my previous ideas again
 as it seems it was lost in the fire.

 I think below is the best compromise we can get. In fact
 as more I am looking on it as more I am sure that it
 not even compromise - it is "well done immutables".

 Idea is to extend typesystem with a new type: immutable (const, readonly)
 array and pointer.

Do you think that class/struct types should also be able to be immutable? Or does that open a can of worms that is too large? I think that perhaps they should be allowed to be decorated with "immutable", but I am not certain of the rules that should go along with it - ie, what members can be called etc. I don't really care about this, but it is good to be consistant. Of course, it will probably be a miracle if Walter gives us a straight answer on your original proposal even :) Brad
Jun 30 2005
parent "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
"Brad Beveridge" <brad somewhere.net> wrote in message
news:da1534$1cik$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
 I would like to discuss one of my previous ideas again
 as it seems it was lost in the fire.

 I think below is the best compromise we can get. In fact
 as more I am looking on it as more I am sure that it
 not even compromise - it is "well done immutables".

 Idea is to extend typesystem with a new type: immutable (const, readonly)
 array and pointer.
Do you think that class/struct types should also be able to be immutable? Or does that open a can of worms that is too large? I think that perhaps they should be allowed to be decorated with "immutable", but I am not certain of the rules that should go along with it - ie, what members can be called etc.
If it is needed anyone can create mutable/immutable state variable for his/her own class. Or create mutable versions of it. This approach was used in mango. A bit overkill, IMO, but works. behavior of basic types.
 I don't really care about this, but it is good to be consistant.  Of
 course, it will probably be a miracle if Walter gives us a straight answer
 on your original proposal even :)
Hope dies last. And I think we are almost at position to start "Sic transit gloria mundi..."
Jun 30 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent AJG <AJG_member pathlink.com> writes:
Just wanted to put in my vote for this suggested feature. Whatever the actual

need this. It's up to Walter now, I guess.

Cheers,
--AJG.

PS: Using hackish class-wrappers for this kind of thing is _way_ too much
trouble and it not worth it IMHO. We need language/compiler level support.

In article <da024r$65o$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Andrew Fedoniouk says...
[...]

======================= I sync, therefore I am.
Jun 30 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Vathix <chris dprogramming.com> writes:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 02:06:12 -0400, Andrew Fedoniouk
 I would like to discuss one of my previous ideas again
 as it seems it was lost in the fire.

 I think below is the best compromise we can get. In fact
 as more I am looking on it as more I am sure that it
 not even compromise - it is "well done immutables".

 Idea is to extend typesystem with a new type: immutable (const, readonly)
 array and pointer.

 Proposed notation of immutable array type is as:

 Proposed notation of immutable pointer is as:

I don't like it. Not just the syntax. I think immutable is so common that it should be the default. Right now we have to enforce it ourselves using COW. I don't have much of a problem with it but it seems many others do. What if arrays and pointers were immutable by default? The only way to make something mutable is to use a mutable keyword. I think it would be much more productive and sounds a lot more relaxing than specifying immutable. There would have to be a way to force something that is immutable to be mutable (?). Perhaps using cast(mutable char[]) for char[]. Here is an example: char[] foo = "hi"; // Good, immutable. mutable char[] bar = new char[30]; char[] baz = bar; // Mutable to immutable. mutable char[] bat = "hey"; // ERROR, string literal is immutable. mutable char[] qux = cast(mutable char[])bar; // Force immutable to mutable. Not recommended. It would break a lot of existing code, but I believe supporting the current style could still be supported using -deprecated. - Chris
Jun 30 2005