digitalmars.D - Why are non-static struct initializers illegal?

reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
struct A
{
 int x, y;
}

void main()
{
 static A a={5,10};
 A b={5,10};
}

The first line in main() is fine; the second isn't.

Why not?  Structs are value types, yes?  So how is

A b={5,10};

any different from:

int x=5;

?

For that matter, how is this different than using an initializer:

A b;
b.x=5;
b.y=10;

I can't find any compelling reason for this to be illegal.
Jun 27 2005
next sibling parent reply "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown simplemachines.org> writes:
This is why, to my understanding:

struct foo
{
    int x, y;
}
struct bar
{
    int x, y;
}

void foobar(foo f)

void foobar(bar b)

int main()
{
    foobar({0, 0});

    return 0;
}

Which one does it call?

-[Unknown]

 struct A
 {
  int x, y;
 }

 void main()
 {
  static A a={5,10};
  A b={5,10};
 }

 The first line in main() is fine; the second isn't.

 Why not?  Structs are value types, yes?  So how is

 A b={5,10};

 any different from:

 int x=5;

 ?

 For that matter, how is this different than using an initializer:

 A b;
 b.x=5;
 b.y=10;

 I can't find any compelling reason for this to be illegal.

Jun 27 2005
next sibling parent reply Chris Sauls <ibisbasenji gmail.com> writes:
Unknown W. Brackets wrote:
 void foobar(foo f)

 void foobar(bar b)

 int main()
 {
    foobar({0, 0});

    return 0;
 }

 Which one does it call?
And its a good question, and a fairly good reason why to make non-static initializers illegal; at least until one can find a solution. Already we have to use cast(char[])/cast(wchar[])/cast(dchar[]) with string literals to solve a similar issue, so maybe a cast(foo)/cast(bar) is in order? or maybe a 'new' expression would be a little more sensical? I'm fond of using 'new', except it currently would return a pointer. Maybe when new is paired with an initializer for structs, it could return a flat value instead of a pointer. That might be asking too much though. -- Chris Sauls
Jun 27 2005
parent reply Chris Sauls <ibisbasenji gmail.com> writes:
Chris Sauls wrote:

I just thought I would re-emphasize this little off-the-top idea of mine, because the more I roll it around and play with it, the more I start to like it. Could the 'new' keyword be the latent solution to safe struct and array literals? Which brings me to one of my little questions about D that I never bothered asking, because it wasn't that important before... Why are []'s used instead of {}'s for array literals?? I've only ever known one other language to use []'s this way, and that was ColdC -- which used them for literals of the List and Dictionary types... and partly for the Frob literal. I never understood why ColdC uses them either, to be honest. -- Chris Sauls
Jun 28 2005
parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Chris Sauls" <ibisbasenji gmail.com> wrote in message
news:d9r2k8$odn$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Why are []'s used instead of {}'s for array literals??  I've only ever
 known one other language to use []'s this way, and that was ColdC -- which
 used them for literals of the List and Dictionary types... and partly for
 the Frob literal.  I never understood why ColdC uses them either, to be
 honest.
Maybe to be more consistent. [] says "array" in any C-style language, and it makes sense to use [] to enclose array literals. Also, it might taks some of the overloading burden off of {}. The parser knows that [] can _only_ hold array elements, and can parse it as such.
Jun 28 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent AJG <AJG_member pathlink.com> writes:
What about using our friend Mr. Cast?

struct foo { int x, y; }
struct bar { int x, y; }
void foobar(foo f) {}
void foobar(bar b) {}

void main() {
foobar(cast(foo) {0, 0}); // OK: Calls foobar(foo f);
foobar(cast(bar) {0, 0}); // OK: Calls foobar(bar b);
foobar({0, 0}); // Error: Missing explicit cast.
}

One other possibility is for the compiler to try to "guess" which struct to cast
to; in case you don't want to specify it and if there's no ambiguity. But this
seems kinda hard to do, especially given implicit casting and whatnot.

Cheers,
--AJG.

In article <d9pma5$2ja5$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Unknown W. Brackets says...
[...]

prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown simplemachines.org> wrote in message
news:d9pma5$2ja5$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Which one does it call?
Ahh... and then this leads into the whole debate about struct ctors. Gotcha. Though, like the others have said, it could be casted.
Jun 27 2005
parent reply "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:09:43 -0400, Jarrett Billingsley