digitalmars.D - What does 'final' keyword exactly?

reply "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
E.g. here: (std.openrj)

class Field
    final char[]  name()
    {
        return m_name;
    }
    final char[]  value()
    {
        return m_value;

Andrew.
Jun 05 2005
next sibling parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> wrote in message
news:d8081t$2bba$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 class Field
    final char[]  name()
    {
        return m_name;
    }
    final char[]  value()
    {
        return m_value;
Makes it so you can't override that function in derived classes. In other languages (I think C++ and Java, though it's called "sealed" in one of them), when applied to a class, it means the class can't be derived from. But that doesn't work in D.
Jun 05 2005
next sibling parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
news:d80akp$2cqh$1 digitaldaemon.com...

prev sibling next sibling parent "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
"Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:d80akp$2cqh$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> wrote in message
 news:d8081t$2bba$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 class Field
    final char[]  name()
    {
        return m_name;
    }
    final char[]  value()
    {
        return m_value;
Makes it so you can't override that function in derived classes. In other languages (I think C++ and Java, though it's called "sealed" in one of them), when applied to a class, it means the class can't be derived from. But that doesn't work in D.
Yep. Thanks. That is in Java. Next question is what are the desing goals of having two final functions and left 'record' non-final? (std.openrj) class Field { final char[] name() { return m_name; } final char[] value() { return m_value; } Record record() { return m_record; } } For me it seems that Matthew was trying to use final as a const for returning char[]. Andrew.
Jun 05 2005
prev sibling parent reply "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
final [snip]
 when applied to a class, it means the class can't be derived from. But
 that doesn't work in D.
Found answer: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:23:29 -0700 "Walter" <walter xx digitalmars.com> writes: Looks like a compiler bug. "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 xx msn.com> wrote in message news:bi65mo$2a9n$1 xx digitaldaemon.com...
 What's the purpose of 'final' in D?
 This code compiles just fine:
 final class A {}
 class B:A { }
 void main() {
 B b=new B();
 }

 -------------------------
 Carlos Santander
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/16022.html
Jun 05 2005
parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> wrote in message
news:d80eg3$2fh0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 final [snip]
 when applied to a class, it means the class can't be derived from. But
 that doesn't work in D.
Found answer: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:23:29 -0700 "Walter" <walter xx digitalmars.com> writes: Looks like a compiler bug.
Ooh goody! Which means that it _will_ work like that :)
Jun 06 2005