digitalmars.D - Looking for ideas

reply "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
I am going to provide couple of samples for Harmonia Framework
beside of the test bed application which I have already .

So I need ideas for simple applications with
web style interface (presumably) or any others.
Will appreciate a lot for ideas.

I am focused on publishing it this week.
Progress so far:
Finalized with Harmonia license. It is slightly
modified PHP license. Text is here
http://www.terrainformatica.com/harmonia/license.txt
Will appreciate a lot if somebody aware of these matters
will take a look.

So far only toolbar and statusbar are unfinished.

Other stuff which was done recently (and could be viewed in the demo) :
- HTML: <iframe> support. It's just cool - allows dynamic updates of
  portions of HTML on the screen.
- Context menus. They can be enabled for any widget but can be viewed in the
demo only for edit box.
- Simple tree view: on the left side.
- Many features under the hood including excelent one provided by Burton
Radons, the Boxer.
   Having boxes made possible implementation of

alias box[wchar[]] NamedBoxes;
// fetch all values - boxes from a container
NamedBoxes values(Widgets container);
// set values - boxes to all IValues(Widget implementing IValue) in a
container
// returns number of values successfully set
uint values(Widgets container, in NamedBoxes bag);

These are extremely useful when dealing with e.g. DB forms -
get/set all values of input fields on the form in one shot and eliminates (I
think)
need of databinding mechanism.

Demo is here:
http://www.terrainformatica.com/screenshots/HarmoniaDemo.zip

Andrew.
May 09 2005
next sibling parent reply Mike Capp <mike.capp gmail.com> writes:
In article <d5pank$9qj$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Andrew Fedoniouk says...
Finalized with Harmonia license. It is slightly
modified PHP license. Text is here
http://www.terrainformatica.com/harmonia/license.txt
Will appreciate a lot if somebody aware of these matters
will take a look.
It is of course entirely your choice, but *please* consider using one of the standard licenses instead of rolling your own. The OSI (among many others) has observed that "License proliferation has become a significant barrier to open-source deployment" - every new license means more legal uncertainty and makes it harder to combine or reuse OSS code. In particular, the PHPv3 license you're using as a base is incompatible with the GPL: "It is a non-copyleft free software license which is incompatible with the GNU GPL. We recommend that you not use this license for anything except PHP add-ons." (http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses) I'd suggest using the (new) BSD license instead (http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php) - it looks substantially similar to what you want, but is well-known, well-understood, compatible with the GPL and liked/used by many companies including Apple and Microsoft. The FSF recommend (http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#GPLCompatibleLicenses) the almost-identical X11 license just to avoid confusion with the old BSD license, but BSD has far greater name recognition. HTH, Mike
May 10 2005
next sibling parent Dave <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d5q8io$10ci$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Mike Capp says...
In article <d5pank$9qj$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Andrew Fedoniouk says...
Finalized with Harmonia license. It is slightly
modified PHP license. Text is here
http://www.terrainformatica.com/harmonia/license.txt
Will appreciate a lot if somebody aware of these matters
will take a look.
<snip>
I'd suggest using the (new) BSD license instead
(http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php) - it looks substantially
similar to what you want, but is well-known, well-understood, compatible with
the GPL and liked/used by many companies including Apple and Microsoft. The FSF
recommend
I agree - Good suggestion.
May 10 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
Thanks a lot, Mike,

As I mentioned there, we can change
license in the future.

Question: will current license
stop anyone from the list to do not use it
now? If there are such people already
then let me know.

Andrew.
May 10 2005
next sibling parent John Demme <me teqdruid.com> writes:
Regardless of whether or not it will effect people who want to use it
now, anyone whom it would inhibit in the future will be less like to use
it now.  If they can't use it in the future, why put effort into it now?

John Demme