digitalmars.D - Preferred style of comments in source code.

reply "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
What was last consensus, gentlemen?

Phobos has samples of all styles....

Personally I don't like them all because they are mostly non readable in
source code,
but, yes, they produce  more or less good results in generated docs.
BTW: Do you know examples of useful generated docs?  (url will be
appreciated)

I am going to use something extremely simple like:

/**  show - Shows tooltip window
 - tt - ITooltip, reference to the implementation of ITooltip
   interface - source of tooltip text.
 - screenPos - point, screen relative coordinates of the
   origin of the tooltip window.
 = true - if window was shown, false - otherwise
 **/
bool show(ITooltip tt, point screenPos) { ... }

this is human readable (I guess ) and could be used as a source of generated
doc.

Any ideas?

Seems like D *will* have a declarative UI (whatever it means) ahead of time:
I've almost finished with "springs" (vertical and horizontal)
See: http://terrainformatica.com/screenshots/harmonia1.png
And: http://terrainformatica.com/screenshots/HarmoniaDemo.zip

Andrew.
May 04 2005
next sibling parent reply John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
[...]

I might have missed this in the forums: is harmonia available on Linux as well? -JJR
May 04 2005
parent reply "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
 I might have missed this in the forums:  is harmonia available on Linux as
 well?
Not yet but it will be available on Linux too if somebody will agree to help me in this. My Linux GUI programming experience is more theoretical than practical. As Harmonia is not using OS input widgets (only top level window frames) then it is possible to build Harmonia/Linux in the window manager agnostic fashion - directly on top of XWindow. (My guess) Moreover Harmonia by itself can be used as a window manager or more precise - window manager could be built using Harmonia. Andrew.
May 04 2005
Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
I might have missed this in the forums:  is harmonia available on Linux as
well?
Not yet but it will be available on Linux too if somebody will agree to help me in this. My Linux GUI programming experience is more theoretical than practical. As Harmonia is not using OS input widgets (only top level window frames) then it is possible to build Harmonia/Linux in the window manager agnostic fashion - directly on top of XWindow. (My guess) Moreover Harmonia by itself can be used as a window manager or more precise - window manager could be built using Harmonia. Andrew.
I see. So I guess one could also build Harmonia on top of an OpenGL surface as well, if need be? My XWindow programming skills are practically nil, but I wouldn't mind fooling around with some Linux GUI integration; I've basically only mildly familiar with working with GTK and OpenGL on both platforms; I realize GTK has no use here. Is Harmonia going to be put on dsource at any time? Thanks. Harmonia is really quite pretty! -JJR
Yes. There is only one Graphics object which handles all drawings in Harmonia. If you will implement its methods for OpenGL it will work on OpenGL: Graphics class is here (undocumented so far): http://terrainformatica.com/screenshots/graphics.d There are two more files in gx package http://terrainformatica.com/screenshots/geometry.d http://terrainformatica.com/screenshots/images.d but they are directly unrelated to the rendering process.
 My XWindow programming skills are practically nil, but I wouldn't mind
 fooling around with some Linux GUI integration; I've basically only mildly
 familiar with working with GTK and OpenGL on both platforms; I realize GTK
 has no use here.  Is Harmonia going to be put on dsource at any time?
As I've mentioned before it is already available on our SVN server. No anonymous access so far though.
 Harmonia is really quite pretty!
Thanks.
May 04 2005
parent John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
 I see.  So I guess one could also build Harmonia on top of an OpenGL
 surface as well, if need be?
Yes. There is only one Graphics object which handles all drawings in Harmonia. If you will implement its methods for OpenGL it will work on OpenGL: Graphics class is here (undocumented so far): http://terrainformatica.com/screenshots/graphics.d There are two more files in gx package http://terrainformatica.com/screenshots/geometry.d http://terrainformatica.com/screenshots/images.d but they are directly unrelated to the rendering process.
Great, thanks.
 My XWindow programming skills are practically nil, but I wouldn't mind
 fooling around with some Linux GUI integration; I've basically only mildly
 familiar with working with GTK and OpenGL on both platforms; I realize GTK
 has no use here.  Is Harmonia going to be put on dsource at any time?
As I've mentioned before it is already available on our SVN server. No anonymous access so far though.
Ah... you probably have mentioned it before. I'll have a look at your svn server then. -JJR
May 04 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Pablo Aguilar" <paguilarg hotmail.com> writes:
Did you see Charlie's recent post about natural docs (www.naturaldocs.org) ?
Here's a sample on how to document:
http://www.naturaldocs.org/documenting.html

Seems pretty readable, doesn't it?
The downside is, there's no current support for D...

Pablo

"Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> wrote in message
news:d5bc5i$2pd6$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Thanks for the link.
Indeed looks nice. It is a plus.
No D support. It is a minus. Striking out :)

Andrew.

"Pablo Aguilar" <paguilarg hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:d5bd9s$2q9v$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Did you see Charlie's recent post about natural docs (www.naturaldocs.org)
 ?

parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 No D support. It is a minus. Striking out :)
Wow! This is *so* close to what I'm doing that I might just be able to implement a lot of this in my MakeDoc utility. -- Derek Melbourne, Australia 5/05/2005 9:03:56 AM
May 04 2005
parent reply "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
Derek, and how far this *so* is close to it?

I have some time today to start writing docs.... :)

Andrew

"Derek Parnell" <derek psych.ward> wrote in message
news:owbprp404kz0.125ty6odtthz9.dlg 40tude.net...
 No D support. It is a minus. Striking out :)
Wow! This is *so* close to what I'm doing that I might just be able to implement a lot of this in my MakeDoc utility. -- Derek Melbourne, Australia 5/05/2005 9:03:56 AM
May 04 2005
parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 Derek, and how far this *so* is close to it?
Hard to quantify. I need some time to inspect it a bit more. The thing that immediately causes me to hesitate is that it seems to want to know about the syntax of the language the program is coded in. I am trying to avoid that. There maybe a compromise though.
 I have some time today to start writing docs.... :)
Then start writing! I'd stick to plain text until you decide on which 'markup' style to use. I'm still a few days away from finishing my port of MakeDoc to D, and when that's completed I can look at incorporating some of the ideas from the 'Natural' guys. -- Derek Melbourne, Australia 5/05/2005 9:27:49 AM
Plain text!? No way! I've recalled that I have nice html wysiwyg editor :)) The fastest editor in the block, btw, :-P Here is the first bird: http://www.terrainformatica.com/harmonia/map.htm (btw. I don't know how people are doing html tables without wysiwyg...) Andrew. "Derek Parnell" <derek psych.ward> wrote in message news:14bv0u5bbdzvy$.1njq6ruyaxj9n$.dlg 40tude.net...