www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - [OT] A Doxygen bug Dimitri isn't acknowledging

reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Please see

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=172786
Accesses my floppy drive when using INPUT_FILTER

It happens to me all the time (Doxygen 1.4.2, Windows 98SE).  It 
happened in Doxygen 1.3.x too.  However, Dimitri sees no sign of it.

If there really is a virus scanner, virus, spyware or whatever causing 
this, I don't see why it would be singling out this opportunity.

How many of you people are bitten by the same bug, and under which OS 
versions?

Stewart.

-- 
My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on 
the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Apr 26 2005
next sibling parent reply Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.thisisspam.cn> writes:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Stewart Gordon schrieb am Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:46:19 +0100:
 Please see

 http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=172786
 Accesses my floppy drive when using INPUT_FILTER

 It happens to me all the time (Doxygen 1.4.2, Windows 98SE).  It 
 happened in Doxygen 1.3.x too.  However, Dimitri sees no sign of it.

 If there really is a virus scanner, virus, spyware or whatever causing 
 this, I don't see why it would be singling out this opportunity.

Disclamer: I'm not a Windows user Some libs that provide functions like "save as" or "load" request a media and/or device descovery whenever they are executed. An API-spy or debugger might help. Thomas -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- iD8DBQFCbilE3w+/yD4P9tIRAk1sAJ9ef9y24LVXZKhoTJz4HSxXX3BilACfRIE2 LJ4uafVizGyCPVSWP38Nacc= =AIFn -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Apr 26 2005
parent Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Thomas Kuehne wrote:
<snip>
 Some libs that provide functions like "save as" or "load" request a 
 media and/or device descovery whenever they are executed.

I imagine Doxygen merely runs the filter rather than loading it. Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Apr 26 2005
prev sibling parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle mathworks.com> writes:
"Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:d4kv4s$vpp$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Please see

 http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=172786
 Accesses my floppy drive when using INPUT_FILTER

 It happens to me all the time (Doxygen 1.4.2, Windows 98SE).  It happened 
 in Doxygen 1.3.x too.  However, Dimitri sees no sign of it.

 If there really is a virus scanner, virus, spyware or whatever causing 
 this, I don't see why it would be singling out this opportunity.

 How many of you people are bitten by the same bug, and under which OS 
 versions?

 Stewart.

 -- 
 My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on the 
 'group where everyone may benefit.

This kind of thing used to happen to me when a process ran a child process. Try turning off all the virus protection utilities on your system like Norton etc.
Apr 26 2005
parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Ben Hinkle wrote:
<snip>
 This kind of thing used to happen to me when a process ran a child process. 
 Try turning off all the virus protection utilities on your system like 
 Norton etc. 

It would seem a strange coincidence if Norton and McAfee both have the same bug here. But having experimented a bit, it happens when the 'Scan floppies on' 'Access' option is set. So obviously the essence of the bug is that McAfee somehow thinks the floppy is being accessed for no apparent reason. So I guess it's down to finding out which API Doxygen uses to launch the filter program, and if there's an alternative. (What does Doxywizard use to launch Doxygen, for that matter? Indeed, what do things like make and the very command prompt use?) Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Apr 27 2005
parent reply "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
It'll be GetVolumeInformation()

"Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:d4njb2$jka$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Ben Hinkle wrote:
 <snip>
 This kind of thing used to happen to me when a process ran a 
 child process. Try turning off all the virus protection utilities 
 on your system like Norton etc.

It would seem a strange coincidence if Norton and McAfee both have the same bug here. But having experimented a bit, it happens when the 'Scan floppies on' 'Access' option is set. So obviously the essence of the bug is that McAfee somehow thinks the floppy is being accessed for no apparent reason. So I guess it's down to finding out which API Doxygen uses to launch the filter program, and if there's an alternative. (What does Doxywizard use to launch Doxygen, for that matter? Indeed, what do things like make and the very command prompt use?) Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.

Apr 27 2005
parent Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Matthew wrote:
 It'll be GetVolumeInformation()

I downloaded the source the other day, and there was no sign of a call to that function at all. I found in the end that Doxygen is indeed using popen and pclose, and by a simple test program that this method is triggering the McAfee bug. OTOH CreateProcess doesn't trigger it - so maybe Doxygen could be changed to use that. Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Apr 28 2005