digitalmars.D - Being able to call a "Walter Weigh In"

reply Brad Beveridge <brad somewhere.net> writes:
There have been a few threads of late that have wended their way across
interesting ground, and then have come to a stop on the grounds that the
discussion could go no further without input from Walter.
 From what I have seen, Walter hasn't yet passed comment.  It would be
nice to continue on as we have, but when sufficient people have decided
that it is time for Walter's input on a thread, someone calls a Walter
Weigh In.  The thread should be summerized, and the title changed to
"Walter Weigh In: Issue xxxx", where upon we would eagerly await a
response.  Thre NG would need to be careful, and only invoke this type
of post when we actually have exhausted ourselves.  Would this reduce
the number of posts that Walter needs to pay attention to?  I get the
feeling that many good and useful ideas on this NG don't get the
attention that they deserve.

Cheers
Brad
Apr 20 2005
next sibling parent reply "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
"Brad Beveridge" <brad somewhere.net> wrote in message
news:d46one$1htf$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 There have been a few threads of late that have wended their way
 across interesting ground, and then have come to a stop on the
 grounds that the discussion could go no further without input from
 Walter.
 From what I have seen, Walter hasn't yet passed comment.  It would
 be nice to continue on as we have, but when sufficient people have
 decided that it is time for Walter's input on a thread, someone
 calls a Walter Weigh In.  The thread should be summerized, and the
 title changed to "Walter Weigh In: Issue xxxx", where upon we
 would eagerly await a response.  Thre NG would need to be careful,
 and only invoke this type of post when we actually have exhausted
 ourselves.  Would this reduce the number of posts that Walter
 needs to pay attention to?
I like it, but it's not likely to work. I think you've hit the rusty nail on the head: "Thre NG would need to be careful, and only invoke this type of post when we actually have exhausted ourselves". Given that we often cannot even agree on how many pins you can stick in a heretic, I think it's extremely unlikely that the WWI would not be abused. Alas, I suggest the same remedy that's been mooted many many times. We need groups of people - to take responsibility for moderating discussions; for collaborating in language changes; for representing a body that actually gets Walter's attention (and keeps it by not abusing it).
  I get the feeling that many good and useful ideas on this NG
 don't get the attention that they deserve.
I'm sure you're right. I've considered writing formal-ish language proposals for a good while, but I just don't have enough faith that it'll be worth my effort to do so. I keep meaning to test the water with a little one, but that old time's a factor. ;/
Apr 20 2005
parent reply Brad Beveridge <brad somewhere.net> writes:
 I like it, but it's not likely to work. I think you've hit the rusty
 nail on the head: "Thre NG would need to be careful, and only invoke
 this type of post when we actually have exhausted ourselves".

 Given that we often cannot even agree on how many pins you can stick
 in a heretic, I think it's extremely unlikely that the WWI would not
 be abused.

 Alas, I suggest the same remedy that's been mooted many many times.
 We need groups of people - to take responsibility for moderating
 discussions; for collaborating in language changes; for representing
 a body that actually gets Walter's attention (and keeps it by not
 abusing it).
OK then, I'll be bad and name names :) I think that the senior members of this NG should be the only ones able to call a Walter Weigh In (WWI). And only then when some number (three?) of them agree it is warrented. Those people, from the top of my head, should be Matthew Georg Wrede Ben Hinkle Regan Heath Anders Derek If you guys don't put a stamp on it, then out of politeness to the NG the WWI won't be called.
 I've considered writing formal-ish language proposals for a good
 while, but I just don't have enough faith that it'll be worth my
 effort to do so. I keep meaning to test the water with a little one,
 but that old time's a factor. ;/
That is also a good idea - but will Walter notice it? Brad
Apr 20 2005
next sibling parent "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
"Brad Beveridge" <brad somewhere.net> wrote in message
news:d46qm2$1jma$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

I've taken a first stab. Let's see what happens. :-)
Apr 20 2005
prev sibling parent reply "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:04:54 +1200, Brad Beveridge <brad somewhere.net>
[...]
Woohoo! I made the list! Seriously though, I can think of a number of other people (not on this list) who appear to me to be quite capable of doing a good summary of issues in their own area of experience. I am reminded of Norbert's proposal which he posted to the NG, and to Walter directly? That seemed to work. However, as has been mentioned we don't want everyone doing that(*). The method that was used then, tho informally, was something like... An N stage process. Stage 0: the thread/discussion here on the NG. Stage 1: If/when it reaches the Walter input stage we have a quick vote and a person (or even 2 working together via email) is/are chosen to attempt to write an impartial objective proposal. They post the proposal back to the group with a subject of "REVIEW-1: <subject>" and a link to the original thread. Anyone may then comment on the proposal itself. Including Walter. Clarifying any miss-representation as they see it, the original author makes changes and re-posts, "REVIEW-2: <subject>". Repeat, until no further comments/complaints are made. Last stage, the proposal is posted as "PROPOSAL: <subject>". Regan (*) Clarification, I am not implying anyone is less capable, but rather newcomers have less knowledge of D's particular methods, goals, quirks, hot-topics, etc and we want to avoid the same thing being posted all over again.
Apr 20 2005
parent "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
This also would convert readily to a subject tag as "[proposal]" the advantages
of which include that it can be searched without hitting occurances of the word
being used other than as a tag, and that where appropraite, multiple tags can
be used as subject keywords.

TZ

news:opspj3hhd023k2f5 nrage.netwin.co.nz...
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
Brad Beveridge wrote:
 There have been a few threads of late that have wended their way across
 interesting ground, and then have come to a stop on the grounds that the
 discussion could go no further without input from Walter.
  From what I have seen, Walter hasn't yet passed comment.  It would be
 nice to continue on as we have, but when sufficient people have decided
 that it is time for Walter's input on a thread, someone calls a Walter
 Weigh In.  The thread should be summerized, and the title changed to
 "Walter Weigh In: Issue xxxx", where upon we would eagerly await a
 response.  Thre NG would need to be careful, and only invoke this type
 of post when we actually have exhausted ourselves.  Would this reduce
 the number of posts that Walter needs to pay attention to?  I get the
 feeling that many good and useful ideas on this NG don't get the
 attention that they deserve.
A good idea. Although, an issue should first be discussed thoroughly before "callin on Walter". Also, (I somehow feel, that) we might have "designated" or "commonly respected" people to do the summaries. Such summaries could begin their header with "SUMMARY: blabla".
Apr 20 2005
parent reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
Actually, that goes along with a reply I just posted inanother part of this
thread.  Except that anyone could do a summary, and simply include [summary] in
the subject, so that it can be searched for.

The fact that anyone can do it, means you aren't restricted to one person's
opinion... and it wouldn't take long for Walter, or anyone else, to learn which
people's summaries they get the most useful information out of.

TZ

"Georg Wrede" <georg.wrede nospam.org> wrote in message
news:4266EDE0.2020404 nospam.org...
 There have been a few threads of late that have wended their way across
 interesting ground, and then have come to a stop on the grounds that the
 discussion could go no further without input from Walter.
  From what I have seen, Walter hasn't yet passed comment.  It would be
[...]
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:09:34 -0500, TechnoZeus <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com>
 Actually, that goes along with a reply I just posted inanother part of
 this thread.  Except that anyone could do a summary, and simply include
 [summary] in the subject, so that it can be searched for.

 The fact that anyone can do it, means you aren't restricted to one
 person's opinion... and it wouldn't take long for Walter, or anyone
 else, to learn which people's summaries they get the most useful
 information out of.
A summary should contain no "opinion" at all, but rather be impartial and objective and supply any/all sides of the debate without miss-representation. Ideally. :) Regan
 TZ

 "Georg Wrede" <georg.wrede nospam.org> wrote in message
 news:4266EDE0.2020404 nospam.org...
 There have been a few threads of late that have wended their way
across
 interesting ground, and then have come to a stop on the grounds that
the
 discussion could go no further without input from Walter.
  From what I have seen, Walter hasn't yet passed comment.  It would be
[...]
Ideally, yes... but in reality it never happens.  I would "ask" to anyone who
will listen, that anyone who states in a summary (which is labeled as such)
something that they recognize to be only their opinion, or the opinion of
themselves and others but not "everyone" should try to remember to mention in
the summary that it is an opinion, simply for clarity.

By the way... run a subject search for "[:=]" and another one for "[Walter]"
and you will find an example of subject tags in use.  This is a tried and
successful method of tagging subjects, so I see no reason why we shouldn't go
ahead and use it here.

TechnoZeus

"Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> wrote in message
news:opspj3izxy23k2f5 nrage.netwin.co.nz...
[...]

  From what I have seen, Walter hasn't yet passed comment.  It would be
[...]
prev sibling parent reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
Great idea, in my opinion, but much easier said than elegantly done.

Here's a related idea that I started in another newsgroup a long time ago,
which has been successfully in use ever since...

Adopt the "[]" characters as a stylistic way of categorizing a post in it's
subject.

For examplem, if a post is about a possible bug,
then include [bug] in the subject.

In this same way, you could specifically call any one person's attention to a
post by including their name in the same way.

This would allow Walter to run a search for subjects with "[Walter]" in them to
find threads where someone felt it warranted to call his attention to what was
being said, and if anyone abuses it... he could quickly learn to pay less
attention to that particular person calling him by name in that way.

Son suggested topic keywords would be:
[bug] for possible bugs
[DMD v0.120] for things related specifically to version 0.120 of DMD.
[question] if you are looking for information or answers.
[idea] for thoughts that you would like to have discussed.
[suggestion] for ideas that you feel are aready to be considered for
implementation.
[important] as a general allert that you think it is critical that people read
it.
[everyone] for posts that you think everyone in the group can benefit from
reading.
Etcetera.

Of course, usage would be strictly stylistic and subject to the opinion of the
author.  That way, the tags can evolve as time goes on.

I would aslo recommend that if such subject tags are added to an existing
"reply" subject,
that they be added in front of it, to distinguish them from ones that were
simply passed down.

Furthermore, it would be good style to remove them from replies when you feel
they don't apply to the reply... in order to reduce the number of matches to a
specific search.

TZ

"Brad Beveridge" <brad somewhere.net> wrote in message
news:d46one$1htf$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 There have been a few threads of late that have wended their way across
 interesting ground, and then have come to a stop on the grounds that the
 discussion could go no further without input from Walter.
  From what I have seen, Walter hasn't yet passed comment.  It would be
 nice to continue on as we have, but when sufficient people have decided
 that it is time for Walter's input on a thread, someone calls a Walter
 Weigh In.  The thread should be summerized, and the title changed to
 "Walter Weigh In: Issue xxxx", where upon we would eagerly await a
 response.  Thre NG would need to be careful, and only invoke this type
 of post when we actually have exhausted ourselves.  Would this reduce
 the number of posts that Walter needs to pay attention to?  I get the
 feeling that many good and useful ideas on this NG don't get the
 attention that they deserve.

 Cheers
 Brad
Apr 20 2005
parent reply James McComb <ned jamesmccomb.id.au> writes:
<disingenuous-suggestion>
Let's wrap all of our sentences in descriptive, "XML-style" tags.
</disingenuous-suggestion>

<opinion-without-supporting-argument value="worthless">
Then our posts would be even *more* useful!
</opinion-without-supporting-argument>

James
Apr 20 2005
parent "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
Hahaha.  Cute.

Seriously though,
the suggestion I gave about using subject tags to allow keyword searches has
been in use for years already in the Active Worlds beta newsgroup,
and has been quite successful.
Also, it has migrated elsewhere from there,
because it works.

TZ

"James McComb" <ned jamesmccomb.id.au> wrote in message
news:d473ug$1qjg$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 <disingenuous-suggestion>
 Let's wrap all of our sentences in descriptive, "XML-style" tags.
 </disingenuous-suggestion>

 <opinion-without-supporting-argument value="worthless">
 Then our posts would be even *more* useful!
 </opinion-without-supporting-argument>

 James
Apr 21 2005