digitalmars.D - Lack of examples in the D documentation

reply jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
Greetings!

I would love to see more examples in the documentation.  It's lacking.  Some of
us, lacking the English language, learn by examples.  I remember back in the day
a book called, "C by example," or something like that.  That was a great book.
D documentation lack examples.

Thanks for listening. :-)

josé
Apr 06 2005
parent reply Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.thisisspam.cn> writes:
Apr 06 2005
parent reply "Alligator" <me home.gr> writes:
Well, I do believe examples should be part of the documentation.

I can download the compiler and the documentation that comes with it once to
my hard drive,
 but I don't have a 24-hours open connection to the internet to browse
through dsource ...

"Thomas Kuehne" <thomas-dloop kuehne.thisisspam.cn> wrote in message
news:uduei2-uq5.ln1 lnews.kuehne.cn...
Apr 07 2005
next sibling parent reply Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.thisisspam.cn> writes:
Apr 07 2005
parent reply jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
So, Thomas, are you saying that the documentation of the best programming
language ever should not have example?  Wrong!  Very wrong.  I have been there
and done that, but sometimes, I don't want to be on the internet and I would
just love to hit my

C:\dmd\html\d\index.html

page and read and follow some nice explanations and examples, when I am lost.
Again, that is just me, a very weird person. ;-)

no problem.  It was just a thought...

thanks.

jic

Thomas Kuehne says...
Apr 07 2005
parent reply J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
jicman wrote:
 So, Thomas, are you saying that the documentation of the best programming
 language ever should not have example?  Wrong!  Very wrong.  I have been there
No one is asserting that there should be no examples included with the D compiler, but the "Specification" may not be the right place. Specifying just isn't a synonym for exemplifying. By the way, the compiler does come with some examples: \dmd\samples\d
 and done that, but sometimes, I don't want to be on the internet and I would
 just love to hit my

 C:\dmd\html\d\index.html
Whine, whine, whine. ;)

No, you're not weird, and neither are you the first person to complain about this either. But complaining doesn't necessarily fix anything either. Have you seen this? http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?D__Tutorial If you see that anyone that is on what you consider to be the right track, you can beg for more. If you don't like any of the existing projects, you tell ask for improvements. Or you can just scream at the top of your lungs, "WHERE ARE THE EXAMPLES THAT I NEED!" -- jcc7 http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
Apr 07 2005
parent reply jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
J C Calvarese says...

 C:\dmd\html\d\index.html
Whine, whine, whine. ;)
Yeah, well... :-) How about, wine, wine, wine? Ja ja ja ja!
No, you're not weird, and neither are you the first person to complain
about this either. But complaining doesn't necessarily fix anything either.
Well, I apologize... It was not my intension to sound like complaining. It was more a suggestiong for the documentation. Sorry.
Have you seen this?
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?D__Tutorial
Yep. I know where the examples are. I just think that these examples should probably be part of the documentation. But it's not a demand. It a suggestion. ;-)
If you see that anyone that is on what you consider to be the right
track, you can beg for more. If you don't like any of the existing
projects, you tell ask for improvements.
Oh, I love the projects...
 Or you can just scream at the
top of your lungs, "WHERE ARE THE EXAMPLES THAT I NEED!"
Ok, you win. I lose. ;-) no more "complaining" from the jicman. ja ja ja! jic
Apr 07 2005
parent reply Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
jicman wrote:
 Yeah, well... :-)  How about, wine, wine, wine?  Ja ja ja ja!
;-) Cultural differences! I looked at the "Ja ja ja ja", and was confused. It souded like the song the girl was playing on her walkman when Terminator I came and killed her boyfriend, and then her. But you're a Spanish speaker (or Portugues speaker)? No? So I'll assume it was "Ha ha ha ha"! :-)
Apr 07 2005
parent jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
Georg Wrede says...
jicman wrote:
 Yeah, well... :-)  How about, wine, wine, wine?  Ja ja ja ja!
;-) Cultural differences! I looked at the "Ja ja ja ja", and was confused. It souded like the song the girl was playing on her walkman when Terminator I came and killed her boyfriend, and then her. But you're a Spanish speaker (or Portugues speaker)? No? So I'll assume it was "Ha ha ha ha"! :-)
Spanish, indeed. I, sometimes, while trying to be funny (something I lack), will say, "Wait, let me laugh in Spanish: ja ja ja ja!" So, since I've done this on this newsgroup a few times, I thought everyone was a faithful reader of the Jicman posts and I thought everyone knew this by now. There is the problem: "I thought...!" ;-)
Apr 08 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Markus Dangl <danglm in.tum.de> writes:
Alligator schrieb:
 Well, I do believe examples should be part of the documentation.

 I can download the compiler and the documentation that comes with it once to
 my hard drive,
  but I don't have a 24-hours open connection to the internet to browse
 through dsource ...
This is what i had in mind for the D Doc wiki: http://www.quit-clan.de/docwiki/ So you can download a chm with lots of examples. Currently it is still work-in-progress...
Apr 07 2005
next sibling parent jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
Goodness gratious, great balls of fire, this is great!  Didn't even know it
existed!  Holie molie!

thanks.

Markus Dangl says...

prev sibling parent Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 Well, I do believe examples should be part of the documentation.

 I can download the compiler and the documentation that comes with it once to
 my hard drive,
  but I don't have a 24-hours open connection to the internet to browse
 through dsource ...
This is what i had in mind for the D Doc wiki: http://www.quit-clan.de/docwiki/ So you can download a chm with lots of examples. Currently it is still work-in-progress...
This is brilliant! Registering now ... :D Contributing soon... -- Derek Melbourne, Australia 8/04/2005 9:44:17 AM
Apr 07 2005

hum.. on linux or cygwin i'm pretty sure you can 'wget -r www.dsource.org/tutorials' and it will download all dsource.org tutorials to your hard drive.

 "Thomas Kuehne" <thomas-dloop kuehne.thisisspam.cn> wrote in message
 news:uduei2-uq5.ln1 lnews.kuehne.cn...

Apr 07 2005
parent jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
randomnewbie says...
Alligator wrote:
 Well, I do believe examples should be part of the documentation.

 I can download the compiler and the documentation that comes with it once to
 my hard drive,
  but I don't have a 24-hours open connection to the internet to browse
 through dsource ...

hum.. on linux or cygwin i'm pretty sure you can 'wget -r www.dsource.org/tutorials' and it will download all dsource.org tutorials to your hard drive.
Didn't know this either. NICE! Downloading them as I type... ;-) thanks.