www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - [communiy matter]The D News Page

reply Manfred Nowak <svv1999 hotmail.com> writes:
As Walter said this page held on point "would be a big boost to the D 
community".

In my thread "A Word to the Wise" it is not countered, that the mass 
of posts is too large for a single person to read.

Derek Parnell in
digitalmars.D/19298
now declared part of the traffic of the D news group as "chaff and 
rubbish".

As a co-editor for the D news page this leads me to the decision that 
in the D news page posts are entered only, if enough members of the 
community have declared a post worthy.

This declaration is done by sending an email to
dnews yahoogroups.de
containing the number of the post.

Declarations are valid only for posts after 6/30/04.

-manfred
Mar 12 2005
next sibling parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> writes:
Manfred,
Is the "D links page" also getting cleaned up? The original post said:
<quote>
There's so much happening with everyone using D, I've lost track of it.
Hence, the news (www.digitalmars.com/d/dnews.html) and links
(www.digitalmars.com/d/dlinks.html) have fallen into disrepair, and are
formatted ugly anyway.
</quote>
Where should I email a link to? I think clean community pages will be very 
much appreciated by people coming to learn about D.

thanks,
Ben

"Manfred Nowak" <svv1999 hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:d0udbe$23r7$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 As Walter said this page held on point "would be a big boost to the D
 community".

 In my thread "A Word to the Wise" it is not countered, that the mass
 of posts is too large for a single person to read.

 Derek Parnell in
 digitalmars.D/19298
 now declared part of the traffic of the D news group as "chaff and
 rubbish".

 As a co-editor for the D news page this leads me to the decision that
 in the D news page posts are entered only, if enough members of the
 community have declared a post worthy.

 This declaration is done by sending an email to
 dnews yahoogroups.de
 containing the number of the post.

 Declarations are valid only for posts after 6/30/04.

 -manfred 

Mar 12 2005
parent reply Manfred Nowak <svv1999 hotmail.com> writes:
"Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
 Is the "D links page" also getting cleaned up?

Yes, Joshua Cearley volunteered to do the cleaning and he just assured me of having it on his todo list.
 Where should I email a link to?

Thanks for the hint, that cleaning up only will not suffice. Please send links to dlinks yahoogroups.de I will enter them on a priliminary basis into the page. Thanks. -manfred
Mar 12 2005
parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> writes:
"Manfred Nowak" <svv1999 hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:d0v8ur$10d$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> wrote:
 [...]
 Is the "D links page" also getting cleaned up?

Yes, Joshua Cearley volunteered to do the cleaning and he just assured me of having it on his todo list.

ok. no problem.
 Where should I email a link to?

Thanks for the hint, that cleaning up only will not suffice. Please send links to dlinks yahoogroups.de I will enter them on a priliminary basis into the page. Thanks.

Excellent! Thanks for taking this job on.
Mar 12 2005
parent "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> wrote in message
news:d0va57$2oq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Excellent! Thanks for taking this job on.

Yes. It will be of major benefit.
Mar 12 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:38:54 +0000 (UTC), Manfred Nowak wrote:

 As Walter said this page held on point "would be a big boost to the D 
 community".
 
 In my thread "A Word to the Wise" it is not countered, that the mass 
 of posts is too large for a single person to read.
 
 Derek Parnell in
 digitalmars.D/19298
 now declared part of the traffic of the D news group as "chaff and 
 rubbish".

Are you serious? I mean, just because I 'declare' something, that doesn't make it necessarily true. Have I rubbed you the wrong way? Well I'm sorry if I have, but please don't use my chaff and rubbish as reason to go off in some grand quest.
 As a co-editor for the D news page this leads me to the decision that 
 in the D news page posts are entered only, if enough members of the 
 community have declared a post worthy.
 
 This declaration is done by sending an email to
 dnews yahoogroups.de
 containing the number of the post.
 
 Declarations are valid only for posts after 6/30/04.
 

demands formality and properness in all human exchanges. Sorry I didn't make the cut. -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia http://www.dsource.org/projects/build 13/03/2005 12:13:00 AM
Mar 12 2005
parent reply J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
Derek Parnell wrote:
 On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:38:54 +0000 (UTC), Manfred Nowak wrote:
 
 
As Walter said this page held on point "would be a big boost to the D 
community".

In my thread "A Word to the Wise" it is not countered, that the mass 
of posts is too large for a single person to read.

Derek Parnell in
digitalmars.D/19298
now declared part of the traffic of the D news group as "chaff and 
rubbish".

Are you serious? I mean, just because I 'declare' something, that doesn't make it necessarily true. Have I rubbed you the wrong way? Well I'm sorry if I have, but please don't use my chaff and rubbish as reason to go off in some grand quest.

I'm hoping it's just a "cultural misunderstanding". I think people that speak and write English as a first language (such as me and you) often detect nuances and conotations they wern't intended by authors who know English as a secondary language. (And I don't mean to malign anyone's skill at writing English in this newsgroup. Three years of studying Spanish is high school don't make me even close to bilingual.) -- Justin (a/k/a jcc7) http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
Mar 12 2005
parent reply Paul Bonser <misterpib gmail.com> writes:
J C Calvarese wrote:

 skill at writing English in this newsgroup. Three years of studying 
 Spanish is high school don't make me even close to bilingual.)
 

Well heck, man, after 4 years of English in High School, many people are barely monolingual :P -- -PIB -- "C++ also supports the notion of *friends*: cooperative classes that are permitted to see each other's private parts." - Grady Booch
Mar 16 2005
parent reply J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
In article <d19kvv$1en9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Paul Bonser says...
J C Calvarese wrote:

 skill at writing English in this newsgroup. Three years of studying 
 Spanish is high school don't make me even close to bilingual.)
 

Well heck, man, after 4 years of English in High School, many people are barely monolingual :P

Yeah, me, too. ;) And I think I meant to write: "Three years of studying Spanish *in* high school don't make me even close to bilingual." jcc7
Mar 16 2005
parent Paul Bonser <misterpib gmail.com> writes:
J C Calvarese wrote:
 In article <d19kvv$1en9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Paul Bonser says...
 
J C Calvarese wrote:


skill at writing English in this newsgroup. Three years of studying 
Spanish is high school don't make me even close to bilingual.)

Well heck, man, after 4 years of English in High School, many people are barely monolingual :P

Yeah, me, too. ;) And I think I meant to write: "Three years of studying Spanish *in* high school don't make me even close to bilingual." jcc7

The funny part is that I didn't even notice...:P The other funny part is that, though I'm supposed to be a technical type, when I took my SATs in high school, I got a higher score on the verbal test than the math test...(730 and 670, respectively). I had a very good English teacher :) -- -PIB -- "C++ also supports the notion of *friends*: cooperative classes that are permitted to see each other's private parts." - Grady Booch
Mar 17 2005
prev sibling parent reply Mark T <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d0udbe$23r7$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Manfred Nowak says...
As Walter said this page held on point "would be a big boost to the D 
community".

It would be more important to clean up the links page first. This is a complete mess. A suggestion move the images to their own page.
Mar 20 2005
parent J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
Mark T wrote:
 In article <d0udbe$23r7$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Manfred Nowak says...
 
As Walter said this page held on point "would be a big boost to the D 
community".

It would be more important to clean up the links page first. This is a complete mess. A suggestion move the images to their own page.

Two excellent suggestions! -- Justin (a/k/a jcc7) http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
Mar 21 2005