www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - How to initialise a struct??

reply "Matthew" <admin.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
struct EnumString
{
    int     value;
    char*   str;
};

/* /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
 * Enumerations
 */

/** Flags that moderate the creation of Databases */
public enum ORJ_FLAG
{
        ORDER_FIELDS                    =   0x0001  /*!< Arranges the fields in
alphabetical order                  */
    ,   ELIDE_BLANK_RECORDS             =   0x0002  /*!< Causes blank records
to be ignored                         */
}

public char[] toString(ORJ_FLAG f)
{
    const EnumString    strings[2] =
    {
            {   ORDER_FIELDS,           "Arranges the fields in alphabetical
order" }
        ,   {   ELIDE_BLANK_RECORDS,    "Causes blank records to be ignored"   
    }
    };

    return "";
}



The compiler informs me:

    openrj.d(83): Error: a struct is not a valid initializer for a EnumString
[2]

All help gratefully received.

:-)
Mar 07 2005
next sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Matthew wrote:

 The compiler informs me:
 
     openrj.d(83): Error: a struct is not a valid initializer for a EnumString
[2]
 
 All help gratefully received.

You need to use [] for arrays in D. You also need to name the enums:
     const EnumString    strings[2] =
     [
             {   ORJ_FLAG.ORDER_FIELDS,           "Arranges the fields in
alphabetical order" }
         ,   {   ORJ_FLAG.ELIDE_BLANK_RECORDS,    "Causes blank records to be
ignored"        }
     ];

--anders
Mar 07 2005
next sibling parent "Matthew" <admin.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
*MANY* thanks!

:-)


"Anders F Björklund" <afb algonet.se> wrote in message
news:d0hash$23hk$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 Matthew wrote:

 The compiler informs me:

     openrj.d(83): Error: a struct is not a valid initializer for a EnumString
[2]

 All help gratefully received.

You need to use [] for arrays in D. You also need to name the enums:
     const EnumString    strings[2] =
     [
             {   ORJ_FLAG.ORDER_FIELDS,           "Arranges the fields in
alphabetical order" }
         ,   {   ORJ_FLAG.ELIDE_BLANK_RECORDS,    "Causes blank records to be
ignored"        }
     ];

--anders

Mar 07 2005
prev sibling parent Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Anders F Björklund wrote:
<snip>
 You need to use [] for arrays in D. You also need to name the enums:
 
     const EnumString    strings[2] =
     [
             {   ORJ_FLAG.ORDER_FIELDS,           "Arranges the fields 
 in alphabetical order" }
         ,   {   ORJ_FLAG.ELIDE_BLANK_RECORDS,    "Causes blank records 
 to be ignored"        }
     ];


Added to http://www.wikiservice.at/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?ErrorMessages Moreover, why have the struct at all? Why not save a bit of code with this: const char[][OBJ_FLAG.max + 1] strings = [ ORJ_FLAG.ORDER_FIELDS: "Arranges the fields in alphabetical order", ORJ_FLAG.ELIDE_BLANK_RECORDS: "Causes blank records to be ignored" ]; Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Mar 07 2005
prev sibling parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:33:39 +1100, Matthew wrote:

 struct EnumString
 {
     int     value;
     char*   str;
 };
 
 /* /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
  * Enumerations
  */
 
 /** Flags that moderate the creation of Databases */
 public enum ORJ_FLAG
 {
         ORDER_FIELDS                    =   0x0001  /*!< Arranges the fields
in alphabetical order                  */
     ,   ELIDE_BLANK_RECORDS             =   0x0002  /*!< Causes blank records
to be ignored                         */
 }
 
 public char[] toString(ORJ_FLAG f)
 {
     const EnumString    strings[2] =
     {
             {   ORDER_FIELDS,           "Arranges the fields in alphabetical
order" }
         ,   {   ELIDE_BLANK_RECORDS,    "Causes blank records to be ignored"  
     }
     };
 
     return "";
 }

Is this what you are trying to do??? <code> import std.stdio; /** Flags that moderate the creation of Databases */ public enum ORJ_FLAG { ORDER_FIELDS = 0x0001 /*!< Arranges the fields in alphabetical order */ , ELIDE_BLANK_RECORDS = 0x0002 /*!< Causes blank records to be ignored */ } struct EnumString { ORJ_FLAG value; char[] str; }; /* ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// * Enumerations */ public char[] toString(ORJ_FLAG f) { const EnumString[2] strings = [ { ORJ_FLAG.ORDER_FIELDS, "Arranges the fields in alphabetical order"}, { ORJ_FLAG.ELIDE_BLANK_RECORDS, "Causes blank records to be ignored" } ]; int i; for (i = 0; i < strings.length; i++) { if (strings[i].value == f) return strings[i].str; } return ""; } void main() { ORJ_FLAG x; x = ORJ_FLAG.ORDER_FIELDS; writefln(toString(x)); x = ORJ_FLAG.ELIDE_BLANK_RECORDS; writefln(toString(x)); } <endcode> -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia 7/03/2005 10:12:17 PM
Mar 07 2005
parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Derek Parnell wrote:

 Is this what you are trying to do???

No, probably this: ;-) private char[][ORJ_FLAG] orj_strings; static this() { orj_strings[ORJ_FLAG.ORDER_FIELDS] = "Arranges the fields in alphabetical order"; orj_strings[ORJ_FLAG.ELIDE_BLANK_RECORDS] = "Causes blank records to be ignored"; } public char[] toString(ORJ_FLAG f) { return (f in orj_strings) ? orj_strings[f] : ""; } void main() { writefln("%s", toString(ORJ_FLAG.ORDER_FIELDS)); writefln("%s", toString(ORJ_FLAG.ELIDE_BLANK_RECORDS)); } --anders
Mar 07 2005
parent Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 12:20:28 +0100, Anders F Björklund wrote:

 Derek Parnell wrote:
 
 Is this what you are trying to do???

No, probably this: ;-) private char[][ORJ_FLAG] orj_strings; static this() { orj_strings[ORJ_FLAG.ORDER_FIELDS] = "Arranges the fields in alphabetical order"; orj_strings[ORJ_FLAG.ELIDE_BLANK_RECORDS] = "Causes blank records to be ignored"; } public char[] toString(ORJ_FLAG f) { return (f in orj_strings) ? orj_strings[f] : ""; } void main() { writefln("%s", toString(ORJ_FLAG.ORDER_FIELDS)); writefln("%s", toString(ORJ_FLAG.ELIDE_BLANK_RECORDS)); } --anders

Well maybe, but it looks like this enum is designed to be combined with other enums to form a set of flags. For example, how could you do this ... writefln("%s", toString( ORJ_FLAG.ELIDE_BLANK_RECORDS | ORJ_FLAG.ORDER_FIELDS); So maybe this is more like it... import std.stdio; /** Flags that moderate the creation of Databases */ public enum ORJ_FLAG { ORDER_FIELDS = 0x0001 /*!< Arranges the fields in alphabetical order */ , ELIDE_BLANK_RECORDS = 0x0002 /*!< Causes blank records to be ignored */ } struct EnumString { ORJ_FLAG value; char[] str; }; /* ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// * Enumerations */ public char[] toString(ORJ_FLAG f) { const EnumString[] strings = [ { ORJ_FLAG.ORDER_FIELDS, "Arranges the fields in alphabetical order"}, { ORJ_FLAG.ELIDE_BLANK_RECORDS, "Causes blank records to be ignored" } ]; char[] result; uint mask; foreach (EnumString x; strings) { mask = 1; while(mask) { if (x.value == (mask & f)) { if (result.length !=0) result ~= ','; result ~= x.str; } mask <<= 1; } } return result; } void main() { ORJ_FLAG x; x = ORJ_FLAG.ORDER_FIELDS; writefln(toString(x)); x = ORJ_FLAG.ELIDE_BLANK_RECORDS; writefln(toString(x)); x = ORJ_FLAG.ELIDE_BLANK_RECORDS | ORJ_FLAG.ORDER_FIELDS; writefln(toString(x)); } -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia 7/03/2005 10:37:12 PM
Mar 07 2005