digitalmars.D - Can we really use D?

reply Hytak <Hytak_member pathlink.com> writes:
Hi.
I am writing this message a bit on a head blow (sorry if the translation is not
good), therefore maybe that I will regret it.

But my question, as provocating may it seem, is the following:
Can we REALLY use D?

I want to mean - I want to use D! I love D! But when we think of it...
I started to learn D (I knew C++ before) and at the beginning everything went
fine. But after, I tried SDL. On windows, everything (almost everything) was OK.
So I wanted to use it on Linux. It was not yet ready. (Now I think it is - with
a bit of patience).
After I tried many other things, and came the idea to use GUI. Honestly, I have
one condition to use a GUI: it have to me portable at least on Linux and
windows.
So I tried DUI. I only run win98, so maybe it is not compatible - I spent all my
evening trying to run the *windows installer*. Well, I did not succeed.

I'm just writing that because I never succeed in really doing something.
Is the langage too young?

I know the japanese are great with D, I think it is popular there. I saw the
games they did (links by this site) and they are great.

Is it me, do I need to try again?

A friend told me to try java, and maybe he was not wrong?

In this message, I forgot many things. I forgot to say that SDL on windows was
great, I had almost 0 problem, and everything was fine. I did not say that I did
not try to install DUI on linux (I did not try, I am asking myself if it is
valueable).

I am sorry for the people that could be shocked to be cited here (Ant for the
DUI and Michael Parker for Derelict SDL), I do not want to blame your libraries,
Derelict is good and become good on Linux and DUI is probably great for someone
that is able to use it (maybe on Linux?)

So I am sorry but waht do you think?
Jan 28 2005
next sibling parent reply zwang <nehzgnaw gmail.com> writes:
I don't think the D language itself is liable for your unpleasant
experience with some UI libraries.

Hytak wrote:
[...]

parent reply Hytak <Hytak_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cternp$15eq$1 digitaldaemon.com>, zwang says...
I don't think the D language itself is liable for your unpleasant
experience with some UI libraries.
Well I know, I realize. But what the D should be used for? I want to say, if I want to use D and work in community, what could I do?
"Hytak" <Hytak_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:ctes5g$15r5$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <cternp$15eq$1 digitaldaemon.com>, zwang says...
I don't think the D language itself is liable for your unpleasant
experience with some UI libraries.
Well I know, I realize. But what the D should be used for? I want to say,
if I
 want to use D and work in community, what could I do?
The short answer is anything you want to. When you run into problems, since most everything is open source, have a go at fixing it. If you're not comfortable doing that, then carefully document how to reproduce the problem, and post it to the person maintaining the library you're using.
Jan 28 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent Ant <duitoolkit yahoo.ca> writes:
Hytak wrote:

 So I tried DUI.
thank you for trying DUI :)
 I only run win98, so maybe it is not compatible - I spent all my
 evening trying to run the *windows installer*. Well, I did not succeed.
I don't know if DUI is compatible with windows 98. I don't think it's advisable to use MS Windows OSs before windows 2000, but that is based on my personal experience not in any exhaustive study. I'll be happy to try to help anyway. Can you post your problems on the DUI forum at dsource.net?
 I did not say that I did
 not try to install DUI on linux (I did not try, I am asking myself if it is
 valueable).
DUI is developed on linux. there is no installer, you just have to change the directories on the Makefiles.
 I am sorry for the people that could be shocked to be cited here (Ant
 for the DUI
No problem here ;) I'm offering DUI in the hope that is can be usefully. I know it's not perfect or even finished and I state that on DUI home page. I'm sorry if my libs quality can be confused with the quality of D. Ant
Jan 28 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Sebastian Beschke <s.beschke gmx.de> writes:
Hi,

Hytak schrieb:
 I want to mean - I want to use D! I love D! But when we think of it...
 I started to learn D (I knew C++ before) and at the beginning everything went
 fine. But after, I tried SDL. On windows, everything (almost everything) was
OK.
 So I wanted to use it on Linux. It was not yet ready. (Now I think it is - with
 a bit of patience).
You don't really need patience for that anymore. You can use derelict, and it will work fine on Linux and Windows. About a year ago, when I first programmed in D, I admittedly had similar problems.
 Is it me, do I need to try again?
Depends on how dedicated you are. If you just want to program, you might just program in some other language and come back in a year, by which time I'm sure we'll have a couple of usable, easily installable GUI libs.
 A friend told me to try java, and maybe he was not wrong?
Sure, Java certainly isn't bad. The way I see it, there is a lot of effort put into all areas of D at every time - also the libraries. The fact that there aren't so many mature libraries for every purpose is, IMHO, because the language is just too young, not because there's a lack of skill or effort (I know you didn't suggest that, either). So currently, for someone like Ant who likes creating libraries, D is already great. ;) For a programmer who whishes to use these libraries, and isn't dedicated enough to beta test them, D perhaps isn't the ideal choice right now. But once again, I want to stress that there *are* usable, working libraries for D, and derelictSDL is one of them IMHO (if you use the current SVN snapshot). That's what I think, anyway. -Sebastian
Jan 29 2005
parent Hytak <Hytak_member pathlink.com> writes:
Yes, it's true, I thought it back and I realized that I love D and I will try to
do something. I don't know what, but maybe I'll find an idea of a librairy of
something like that, which could be usefull...
Jan 29 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Mike Parker <aldacron71 yahoo.com> writes:
Hytak wrote:

 fine. But after, I tried SDL. On windows, everything (almost everything) was
OK.
 So I wanted to use it on Linux. It was not yet ready. (Now I think it is - with
 a bit of patience).
 After I tried many other things, and came the idea to use GUI. Honestly, I have
 one condition to use a GUI: it have to me portable at least on Linux and
 windows.
 DUI and Michael Parker for Derelict SDL), I do not want to blame your
libraries,
 Derelict is good and become good on Linux and DUI is probably great for someone
 that is able to use it (maybe on Linux?)
I'm happy to know there's another Derelict user out there! I will assume that you are having the problems with DerelictSDL on Linux because you are using an older version. If you check out the source from the SVN trunk things should work out of the box on Linux. Just make sure you use the Makefile.linux to build (make -f Makefile.linux). Even though I don't have the time to work on Derelict as much as I would like, I do check the forums at DSource almost every day. If you have any problems with any of the Derelict packages, please post there and I will jump on it as soon as I see it.
Jan 29 2005
parent Chris Sauls <Chris_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <ctglvk$5bj$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Mike Parker says...
I'm happy to know there's another Derelict user out there!
Hey, I'm using it too! :) Or rather, I'm helping out a friend who is using it, but still. -- Chris Sauls
Jan 29 2005
prev sibling parent reply hazel <hazelknight0 gmail.com> writes:
dui</a>
May 27 2009
parent reply hazel <hazelknight0 gmail.com> writes:
[url=http://www.legalx.net/blog/category/dui]dui[/url]

May 27 2009
parent reply Daniel Keep <daniel.keep.lists gmail.com> writes:
hazel wrote:

 [url=http://www.legalx.net/blog/category/dui]dui[/url]
The newsgroup is plain text only. A URL by itself works just fine.
May 27 2009
parent grauzone <none example.net> writes:
Daniel Keep wrote:
 hazel wrote:
 [url=http://www.legalx.net/blog/category/dui]dui[/url]
What does this have to do with D?
 The newsgroup is plain text only.  A URL by itself works just fine.
And this is good so.
May 28 2009