digitalmars.D - More coupling??

reply "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
Walter, I note in std/syserror.d that it's importing std.c.stdio in
order to convert an integer to string. This seems a bit of a shame.

Would you (or anyone else) be interested in a D-ified version of
STLSoft's integer_to_string<>, for this, and other simple cases of
int=>s conversion?

Note: for anyone that's not familiar, you can see the code in any recent
distr of STLSoft (http://stlsoft.org/), and read about it in chapter 31
of my book Imperfect C++ (http://imperfectcplusplus.com) or in the
series of instalments of my CUJ/DDJ column at
http://www.ddj.com/columns/wilson/.

I'd be happy to adapt these functions to D. Not only would they cut down
on coupling, they'd be quicker (unless rendering them to D would, in
some way I'm yet to fathom, introduce latencies).

Cheers

The Dr .....
Jan 27 2005
parent reply "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:11:49 +1100, Matthew
 Walter, I note in std/syserror.d that it's importing std.c.stdio in
 order to convert an integer to string. This seems a bit of a shame.

 Would you (or anyone else) be interested in a D-ified version of
 STLSoft's integer_to_string<>, for this, and other simple cases of
 int=>s conversion?

 Note: for anyone that's not familiar, you can see the code in any recent
 distr of STLSoft (http://stlsoft.org/), and read about it in chapter 31
 of my book Imperfect C++ (http://imperfectcplusplus.com) or in the
 series of instalments of my CUJ/DDJ column at
 http://www.ddj.com/columns/wilson/.

 I'd be happy to adapt these functions to D. Not only would they cut down
 on coupling, they'd be quicker (unless rendering them to D would, in
 some way I'm yet to fathom, introduce latencies).
Can't we simply change: into: Regan
Jan 27 2005
parent reply "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
"Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> wrote in message
news:opslacb5zv23k2f5 ally...
[...]

Can't we simply change: into:
Sure, but toString(uint) uses sprintf(). That's the coupling I think is unwelcome. IIRC, I've seen mention of a floating point free Phobos, which would need something like integer_to_string to provide the toString()-ing of integers.
Jan 27 2005
parent reply "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:24:08 +1100, Matthew
[...]

It does? It does use sprintf for the doubles, etc.
 IIRC, I've seen mention of a floating point free Phobos, which would
 need something like integer_to_string to provide the toString()-ing of
 integers.
AFAIKS sprintf is only used in std.string for floating point. Regan
Jan 27 2005
parent "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
"Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> wrote in message
news:opslaeyb1m23k2f5 ally...
[...]

Ah, my bad. I must have had my bed head on this morning when I was looking through the toString()s. :-)
Jan 27 2005