www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - OT: New Mini Mac

reply John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
The announcement of the new mac is all over the place now.  Judging from
the response, it looks like it's quite popular.  I sure like the looks of
it!  I might be bated into testing it out some day. :-)
Jan 12 2005
next sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
John Reimer wrote:

 The announcement of the new mac is all over the place now.  Judging from
 the response, it looks like it's quite popular.  I sure like the looks of
 it!  I might be bated into testing it out some day. :-)

If you do, you'd be happy to know that D works on it :-) Both in Linux PPC, as well as in the standard Mac OS X... GDC: http://home.earthlink.net/~dvdfrdmn/d/ I could make binary packages, but I don't have the bandwidth to host them (probably something like 20 MB each, after gzip) --anders
Jan 12 2005
parent John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:32:27 +0100, Anders F Björklund wrote:

 John Reimer wrote:
 
 The announcement of the new mac is all over the place now.  Judging from
 the response, it looks like it's quite popular.  I sure like the looks of
 it!  I might be bated into testing it out some day. :-)

If you do, you'd be happy to know that D works on it :-) Both in Linux PPC, as well as in the standard Mac OS X... GDC: http://home.earthlink.net/~dvdfrdmn/d/ I could make binary packages, but I don't have the bandwidth to host them (probably something like 20 MB each, after gzip) --anders

Yep, that would be one of the first things that I'd try -- getting gdc set up on the mac. It would be great if we could find a site to host those binary packages! It would sure save some compiling for everyone. - John
Jan 13 2005
prev sibling parent reply "Charles" <no email.com> writes:
It does look cool , always wanted  one too.  Does it work with any monitor
or do you need a MAC monitor ?

Charlie

"John Reimer" <brk_6502 yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2005.01.12.08.01.23.417711 yahoo.com...
 The announcement of the new mac is all over the place now.  Judging from
 the response, it looks like it's quite popular.  I sure like the looks of
 it!  I might be bated into testing it out some day. :-)

Jan 13 2005
next sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Charles wrote:

 It does look cool , always wanted  one too.  Does it work with any monitor
 or do you need a MAC monitor ?

Take a look at http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html :
 Video
 
     * DVI video output for digital resolutions up to 1920 x 1200 pixels
     * VGA video output (using included adapter)
       to support analog resolutions up to 1920 x 1080 pixels
     * S-video and composite video output to connect directly to a  TV or
       projector (requires Apple DVI to Video Adapter, sold separately)

And you can use any USB keyboard and mouse... Or SSH ;-) --anders
Jan 13 2005
parent reply Mark T <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cs6ddr$31jq$1 digitaldaemon.com>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= says...
?
Take a look at http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html :

About time Apple made a Mac priced for the home market. Is the OSX SW development environment available as a free download? or just go with gcc/gdc?
Jan 14 2005
parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Mark T wrote:

 Is the OSX SW development environment available as a free download?

The Xcode Tools are both available for free, and included with the OS. http://developer.apple.com/tools/ localhost:///Applications/Installers/Developer Tools/
 or just go with gcc/gdc?

While the native compiler *is* GCC, you will need an extra copy for GDC. http://www.algonet.se/~afb/d/Makefile --anders
Jan 14 2005
prev sibling parent reply John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
Yes, it seems to!  It includes the adapter for normal VGA (according to
the specs).


On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:50:20 -0600, Charles wrote:

 It does look cool , always wanted  one too.  Does it work with any monitor
 or do you need a MAC monitor ?
 
 Charlie
 
 "John Reimer" <brk_6502 yahoo.com> wrote in message
 news:pan.2005.01.12.08.01.23.417711 yahoo.com...
 The announcement of the new mac is all over the place now.  Judging from
 the response, it looks like it's quite popular.  I sure like the looks of
 it!  I might be bated into testing it out some day. :-)


Jan 13 2005
next sibling parent reply "Lionello Lunesu" <lionello.lunesu crystalinter.remove.com> writes:
While dumping some thoughts in code on the state of variables I found myself 
typing 'loose' boolean expression:

   mindh[y][x][0] == -maxdh[y][x-1][1];

Now, wouldn't that be a cool syntax for assertions? No function call. It 
totally fits into D's Design By Contract and it's very readable (I often 
find myself wondering what value it was assert(x) aborts on).

Lionello. 
Jan 14 2005
next sibling parent "Lionello Lunesu" <lionello.lunesu crystalinter.remove.com> writes:
Oops, I clicked "Reply" instead of new post, please react to the new topic 
(in the root, as it were) instead of this one. L.

(That MAC is cool by the way) 
Jan 14 2005
prev sibling parent reply pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cs99e3$25j$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Lionello Lunesu says...
While dumping some thoughts in code on the state of variables I found myself 
typing 'loose' boolean expression:

   mindh[y][x][0] == -maxdh[y][x-1][1];

Now, wouldn't that be a cool syntax for assertions? No function call. It 
totally fits into D's Design By Contract and it's very readable (I often 
find myself wondering what value it was assert(x) aborts on).

Lionello. 

IMO, there's one problem with this. The 'assert()' statement clearly defines a hook for an assertion, and is easy to spot in the code. It also triggers conditional compilation as the *first* token of an expression (actually wraps the expression, but it still comes ahead of the rest). Since expressions are perfectly valid without an assignment to an lvalue (think function returning 'int' with no assignment), how would the compiler 'see' that this is an assert. Judging by how the frontend for DMC is designed, it would be extremely hard to hack that sort of thing in without the kind of linguistic hook that 'assert' provides. This is due in part to the fact that boolean expressions resolve to integer expressions: there's no difference, so how would the compiler know when an expression falls into this special case? Also, it's compact but not as readable as 'assert()'. That is, it doesn't stand out as anything other than normal code, so I wouldn't expect it to dissapear once I go to release build. Pragma - ericanderton at yahoo
Jan 14 2005
parent reply Mr. Monkey <Mr._member pathlink.com> writes:
I have an idea for assertion syntax:

// My assertion has side-effects on debug.
// On release, always returns 1.
int monkey_assert(exp);

//e.g.
if(monkey_assert(check_something()))
{ ... }
else{ ... }
Jan 16 2005
parent Norbert Nemec <Norbert Nemec-online.de> writes:
Mr. Monkey wrote:

 I have an idea for assertion syntax:
 
 // My assertion has side-effects on debug.
 // On release, always returns 1.
 int monkey_assert(exp);
 
 //e.g.
 if(monkey_assert(check_something()))
 { ... }
 else{ ... }

I don't understand: What would it mean?
Jan 17 2005
prev sibling parent Paul Bonser <misterpib gmail.com> writes:
John Reimer wrote:
 Yes, it seems to!  It includes the adapter for normal VGA (according to
 the specs).
 
 
 On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:50:20 -0600, Charles wrote:
 
 
It does look cool , always wanted  one too.  Does it work with any monitor
or do you need a MAC monitor ?

Charlie

"John Reimer" <brk_6502 yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2005.01.12.08.01.23.417711 yahoo.com...

The announcement of the new mac is all over the place now.  Judging from
the response, it looks like it's quite popular.  I sure like the looks of
it!  I might be bated into testing it out some day. :-)



The only problem I'd have with that (aside from not having enough money to upgrade my current computer, let alone buy a new one), is that I'd be isolating myself even farther from the gaming world than I am by running Linux...though I could totally see using one of those as a development computer. -PIB
Jan 14 2005