digitalmars.D - profiling

reply "Carlos Santander B." <csantander619 gmail.com> writes:
About the output produced when using -gt:
I understand the lower part of the trace.log file (Timer is .... times in
microsecs... etc). But what does the upper part mean? There're just a bunch of
numbers without any title or anything.

Besides, is there any free profiler on Windows that works with DMD? I tried
AMD's CodeAnalyst, but it doesn't understand the generated code, so it outputs
assembler code.

-----------------------
Carlos Santander Bernal
Nov 24 2004
next sibling parent reply "Ilya Zaitseff" <sark7 mail333.com> writes:
 About the output produced when using -gt:
 I understand the lower part of the trace.log file (Timer is .... times in
 microsecs... etc). But what does the upper part mean? There're just a
 bunch of
 numbers without any title or anything.

 Besides, is there any free profiler on Windows that works with DMD? I
 tried
 AMD's CodeAnalyst, but it doesn't understand the generated code, so it
 outputs
 assembler code.

 -----------------------
 Carlos Santander Bernal

I use AMD CodeAnalyst. It works for me.
Nov 24 2004
parent "Carlos Santander B." <csantander619 gmail.com> writes:
"Ilya Zaitseff" <sark7 mail333.com> escribió en el mensaje
news:opshzvx6cfaaezs2 ilya.tec.amursk.ru...
| I use AMD CodeAnalyst. It works for me.

Oh, yes, you're absolutely right. I had made a mistake regarding the project
options. Thanks and sorry for that.

-----------------------
Carlos Santander Bernal
Nov 24 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
The upper part shows you who called who, so you can tell why function xxyy
was being called so many times.

"Carlos Santander B." <csantander619 gmail.com> wrote in message
news:co372s$9lt$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 About the output produced when using -gt:
 I understand the lower part of the trace.log file (Timer is .... times in
 microsecs... etc). But what does the upper part mean? There're just a

 numbers without any title or anything.

 Besides, is there any free profiler on Windows that works with DMD? I

 AMD's CodeAnalyst, but it doesn't understand the generated code, so it

 assembler code.

 -----------------------
 Carlos Santander Bernal

Nov 24 2004
prev sibling parent "Lionello Lunesu" <lionello.lunesu crystalinter.remove.com> writes:
While we're on the subject: what are your (anybody's) thoughts on VS2005's
PGO?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dv_vstechart/html/profileguidedoptimization.asp

"The idea behind PGO is simple: Generate profiles from running the
executable/dll on real-world inputs, which are then used to assist the
compiler in generating optimized code for the particular executable. "

Lionello.
Nov 25 2004