digitalmars.D - Newbie trying to figure out how to write some real code

reply "rdc02271" <rdc02271 yahoo.com> writes:
Hello!
I have to start a.s.a.p the development of a tiny management software for my
father. I've been working with VB for more almost a year now, and I would
really enjoy a change:).
My problem: For the challenge I would like to use either C++ or D (C++ has
more libraries), but from what I have read I would be able to use, for
instance, GUI libraries as long as they have a C interface?! Right? Can
someone point me to one of this libraries?
Tell if I can use D with an existing GUI library and which, also database
related libraries.

I want to learn and if possible participate in the development of libraries
for D but I'm still a newbie so I require as much help as I can get.

About C++, well I could learn it, but I really don't fancy having to deal
with header files and cpp files, and that confusion (specially when one is a
newbie!!).
So I would be very thankful for any help, pointers...
Thanks and best regards,
Jorge C.
rdc02271 yahoo.com
May 15 2004
next sibling parent J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
rdc02271 wrote:

[...]

http://www.dsource.org/forums/ or my webpage. Or look at http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?AvailableGuiLibraries.. -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
May 15 2004
prev sibling parent reply DemmeGod <me demmegod.com> writes:
Manfred Hansen wrote some MySQL bindings for D:
http://www.steinmole.de/d/

I haven't used them, so I don't know if they're any good.  Same goes for the
GUIs.  The good news about D is that development (on the libs) seems to be
proceeding at pretty fast speeds.

Yes, if a GUI library has C bindings, you can use it in D, however since the
bindings are C bindings, you will be writing procedural GUI code, unless
you care to write some object wrappers for the C code.  If the D GUIs are
stable enough (I've not had the chance to use them yet) you'll want to use
them.

D is a great language, but don't expect it to be anything like VB.  There's
definately a learning curve, but it's well worth it.  I'd reccommend D over
C++, despite D's infancy.

rdc02271 wrote:

[...]

May 16 2004
next sibling parent reply "rdc02271" <rdc02271 yahoo.com> writes:
Hello again.
Thanks to you al for your help, and another question: Favorites IDE for D?
Anyone...
Thanks once again. Also, I am really interested in helping developing
libraries for D, even though I have never done taht before. So if anyone is
in need of some help, just tell me:)

Jorge C.
rdc02271 yahoo.com

news:c875d6$uoj$1 digitaldaemon.com...

parent reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
rdc02271 wrote:

Hello again.
Thanks to you al for your help, and another question: Favorites IDE for D?

Anyone...
Thanks once again. Also, I am really interested in helping developing
libraries for D, even though I have never done taht before.

So if anyone is in need of some help, just tell me:)

which need help. Why don't you drop a line in the forums there, or ask to join a project that looks fun.
Jorge C.
rdc02271 yahoo.com

J Anderson wrote:

 rdc02271 wrote:

 Hello again.
 Thanks to you al for your help, and another question: Favorites IDE
 for D?

Whoops, I forgot the hyperlink: http://www.atari-soldiers.com/dide.html -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
May 16 2004
prev sibling parent reply "rdc02271" <rdc02271 yahoo.com> writes:
hi! I think I've messed up and sending the reply....
Anyway, thanks everyone for helping me out.
Now, about favorite IDEs for D. Your favorites are...?

Thanks.

parent Ant <duitoolkit yahoo.ca> writes:
 hi! I think I've messed up and sending the reply....
 Anyway, thanks everyone for helping me out.
 Now, about favorite IDEs for D. Your favorites are...?

leds http://leds.sourceforge.net (windows version soon, I'm working on it now) check others at http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?EditorSupport Ant
May 16 2004