digitalmars.D - D equivilent to "Vector"?

reply "Nick Sabalausky" <z a.a> writes:
This might be a stupid question, but does D have an equivilent to the Vector
class that's in C++'s STL and Java?  I want to make a list/array of a bunch
of strings and don't know how many I'll have ahead of time, so I want to be
able to do something like:

/*some type of collection */ listOfStrings;
/* loop */
{
    listOfStrings.add(/*some string*/);
}

AFAIK, a standard D array doesn't have any sort of addElement() routine.
What I've been doing instead is kind of an abuse of associative arrays:

char[][char[]] strings;
/*loop*/
{
    strings[/*new string to add*/] = 1;
}
// The list of strings is now strings.keys

I know I could just write a Vector class or linked list or something, but I
wasn't sure if there was a standard one.
Oct 20 2004
next sibling parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle mathworks.com> writes:
You can use a dynamic array and the concatenation ~= (or ~) operator

char[][] listOfStrings;
listOfStrings ~= "some string";

to add items to the end of the dynamic array. It will resize as needed to
make space.

"Nick Sabalausky" <z a.a> wrote in message
news:cl6guj$eee$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

parent "Nick Sabalausky" <z a.a> writes:
"Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle mathworks.com> wrote in message
news:cl6hqe$fcq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 You can use a dynamic array and the concatenation ~= (or ~) operator

 char[][] listOfStrings;
 listOfStrings ~= "some string";

 to add items to the end of the dynamic array. It will resize as needed to
 make space.
Whoa, that's sweet :) I probably should have thought of that, since D uses ~ as the string concatenation operator and D's strings are nothing more than character arrays. Come to think of it, I think I noticed that once when looking through the "Arrays" documentation on the main D site but never gave it much thought.
[...]

prev sibling parent Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <cl6guj$eee$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Nick Sabalausky says...
[...]

Yes, though the syntax may be a bit confusing at first. Array notation is postfix, so char[][5] is an array of 5 arrays of strings, similar to vector<string>(5). Here's a more detailed example: Sean
Oct 20 2004