digitalmars.D - ubyte to string conversion (md5)

reply "Asaf Karagila" <kas1 netvision.net.il> writes:
well,
i'm kinda stuck.. i've done those things before, and for some reason, they
won't work here..
i'm trying to convert an MD5 digest from std.md5 (ubyte[16]) into a string
(char[])
i need it for internal usage, so using printDigest is useless for me, unless
there is a way i can print it into a string..
i tired (fuitily i must say) several ways of converting the bytes into
chars,
none worked.

does anyone have any code for that, or some tips for me ?

Cheers,
Asaf
Oct 09 2004
next sibling parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle mathworks.com> writes:
"Asaf Karagila" <kas1 netvision.net.il> wrote in message
news:ck9s27$1b4a$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 well,
 i'm kinda stuck.. i've done those things before, and for some reason, they
 won't work here..
 i'm trying to convert an MD5 digest from std.md5 (ubyte[16]) into a string
 (char[])
 i need it for internal usage, so using printDigest is useless for me,
unless
 there is a way i can print it into a string..
 i tired (fuitily i must say) several ways of converting the bytes into
 chars,
 none worked.

 does anyone have any code for that, or some tips for me ?

 Cheers,
 Asaf
do you mean something like: import std.string; import std.stdio; ubyte[] x = [10, 20, 30]; int main() { char[] y; foreach(ubyte n;x) y ~= toString(n) ~ " "; writefln(y); return 0; }
Oct 09 2004
parent "Asaf Karagila" <kas1 netvision.net.il> writes:
"Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle mathworks.com> wrote in message
news:cka2o8$1ep3$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

thats a cool routine, but its not exactly what i am looking for, it gives out a decimal output, what i need is actually a 128bit hex number output..
Oct 09 2004
prev sibling parent reply Regan Heath <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 01:26:51 +0200, Asaf Karagila <kas1 netvision.net.il>
 i'm kinda stuck.. i've done those things before, and for some reason,
 they
 won't work here..
 i'm trying to convert an MD5 digest from std.md5 (ubyte[16]) into a
 string
 (char[])
 i need it for internal usage, so using printDigest is useless for me,
 unless
 there is a way i can print it into a string..
 i tired (fuitily i must say) several ways of converting the bytes into
 chars,
 none worked.

 does anyone have any code for that, or some tips for me ?
Try this... template hexStringT(T) { char[] hexStringT(T d) { char[] result; if (d.length != 0) { typeof(d[0]) u; uint sz = u.sizeof*2; uint ndigits = 0; result = new char[sz*d.length]; for(int i = d.length-1; i >= 0; i--) { u = d[i]; for(; u; u /= 16) { result[result.length-1-ndigits] = hexdigits[u & 15]; ndigits++; } for(; ndigits < (d.length-i)*sz; ndigits++) result[result.length-1-ndigits] = '0'; } } return result; } } char[] toHexString(ubyte[] array) { return hexStringT!(typeof(array))(array); } char[] toHexString(ulong[] array) { return hexStringT!(typeof(array))(array); } char[] toHexString(uint[] array) { return hexStringT!(typeof(array))(array); } The above code is from my library of hashing routines in the Deimos library which you can find here: http://www.dsource.org/projects/deimos/ Deimos is an open source library to which anyone can contribute. You can use the "Browse SVN Repository for Deimos" link to have a look at the other source files, the hashing routines are here: http://svn.dsource.org/svn/projects/deimos/trunk/etc/crypto/hash/ Regan -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Oct 10 2004
parent reply "Asaf Karagila" <kas1 netvision.net.il> writes:
thanks for the code,
its a bit over my level at the moment, and i don't like using code i can't
understand..
so i'm not sure if i'll use it,
as well, i managed to sort something out.. its almost perfect as well..

foreach(ubyte u;array)
     myString ~= std.string.format("%2X",u);

it gives me out a pretty good result, only its sticking a 'b' on the end, i
don't know why..
anyone got a clue about that ?

Cheers,
Asaf
Oct 10 2004
next sibling parent reply Sjoerd van Leent <svanleent wanadoo.nl> writes:
Asaf Karagila wrote:
 thanks for the code,
 its a bit over my level at the moment, and i don't like using code i can't
 understand..
 so i'm not sure if i'll use it,
 as well, i managed to sort something out.. its almost perfect as well..

 foreach(ubyte u;array)
      myString ~= std.string.format("%2X",u);

 it gives me out a pretty good result, only its sticking a 'b' on the end, i
 don't know why..
 anyone got a clue about that ?

 Cheers,
 Asaf

I don't quite see what the problem is. If I run the following code: import std.stdio; import std.string; int main (char[][] args) { char[] s; const static ubyte[] array = [ 0x0, 0x1, 0x2, 0x3, 0x4, 0x5, 0x6, 0x7, 0x8, 0x9, 0xA, 0xB, 0xC, 0xD, 0xE, 0xF ]; foreach(ubyte u; array) { s ~= format("%2X", u); } writefln(s); // writes: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F return 0; } It does print the values as it is supposed to do Regards, Sjoerd
Oct 11 2004
parent reply "Asaf Karagila" <kas1 netvision.net.il> writes:
"Sjoerd van Leent" <svanleent wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
news:ckdp2m$15id$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Asaf Karagila wrote:
[...]

yeah, it doesn't look flawed either, so maybe the buffer allocated for the char[] i have is already used ? if so, is there a way to initialize the array to be clear, and to clean the memory its using ? Cheers, Asaf
Oct 11 2004

Asaf Karagila wrote:

[...]

Initialize the array to an empty array. This could be done using an empty array or using the init property of the current array: char[] s; s = s.init; this should work as expected. Regards, Sjoerd
Oct 11 2004
parent reply "Asaf Karagila" <kas1 netvision.net.il> writes:
"Sjoerd van Leent" <svanleent wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
news:ckebb5$1mkb$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Asaf Karagila wrote:

[...]

char[] MD5; MD5.init; foreach(ubyte u;di) MD5 ~= std.string.format("%2X",u); printf(MD5); the output is : "9ADD3AF83DD9DAAA75BDF5CE4E476CBCb" i don't know where does this 'b' is coming from, and i would like to remove it.. weird. Cheers, Asaf
Oct 11 2004

Asaf Karagila wrote:

[...]

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/faq.html#printf
Oct 11 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Asaf Karagila" <kas1 netvision.net.il> writes:
"Asaf Karagila" <kas1 netvision.net.il> wrote in message
news:ckecsq$1o26$1 digitaldaemon.com...
    char[] MD5;
    MD5.init;
    foreach(ubyte u;di)
        MD5 ~= std.string.format("%2X",u);
    printf(MD5);

 the output is :
 "9ADD3AF83DD9DAAA75BDF5CE4E476CBCb"
 i don't know where does this 'b' is coming from, and i would like to
 remove it..
 weird.

 Cheers,
 Asaf
well, as i suspected, the problem resides within the MD5 string space, nothing helped, its probably a bug in the implementation, when i made an addition to the code char[32] md5string; for (int i=0;i<MD5.length;i++) md5string[i]=MD5[i]; the 'b' on the end of the MD5 string was gone.. i guess that solves my problem. but i think its ought a deeper check, i'll do my best to debug it in low level.. if i'll have something concrete, i'll post it back. Cheers, Asaf
Oct 11 2004

Asaf Karagila wrote:

[...]

Ah there is the problem, if you look close to my code, you'll notice that I use writefln instead of printf. Printf only knows standard C string conventions, which isn't used by D. You should use the writef and writefln of the sts.stdio module instead. Regards, Sjoerd
Oct 11 2004
parent Regan Heath <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:46:26 +0200, Sjoerd van Leent